WCAblondie
Tuesday, May 11, 2004 7:16:11 PM
Just curious about everyone's backgrounds! I've worked on West Coast Amusements, M.F. Wagner Shows, Conklin Shows and Big M Shows.
Don't ya just love when you're T'ing up the Zipper & some kid barfs & it hits every other bucket!! Hee, hee, that's fun- gross but fun!!
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 3:59:30 AM
From a concessionaires point of view, it's what shows have you booked with rather then worked on, so with that in mind, Here's what I can remember.

*Playtime Shows.
Ace Amusements.
*Lawrence Carr Shows.
World of Mirth.
Dave Endy Shows.
Blue Grass Shows.
Oscars Amusements.
Reithoffer Shows.
Dean & Flynn's Fiesta Shows.
Colbert's Fiesta Shows.
*Gillette Shows.
*Smokeys Greater Shows.
Arnold Amusements.
Amusements of America.
S&S Amusements.
Finelli Shows.
*Santa Maria's Famous Funway.
*Goodings Million Dollar Midways.
Blue Ribbon Shows.
Sam Pino Shows.
New England Amusements.
Pine Tree Shows.
Granite State Shows.
Rockwell Amusements.
Royal Amusements.
Coleman Brothers Shows.
Heart of Dixie Shows.
Moore's Greater Shows.
Crown Amusements.
OC Buck Shows.
Buck Page Shows.
Victor's Amusements.
Lagasee Amusement Company.
Diamond D. Amusements.
Grimwoods Shows.
Continental Shows.
King Reid Shows.
Dale T. Thomas Shows.
Southland Amusements.
John W. Langil Shows.
Strates Shows.
Amusements of Rochester.
Wonderful World Shows.
Vendetto Brothers Shows.
Connecticut Amusements.
Dell & Travis.
Whaling City Shows.

I know there's more, but I've gone blank.

*Shows I've been lot man, concession manager, or unit manager on.



Sixcats have nine lives
davyrebel
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 6:10:49 AM
MAGNOLIA STATES SHOWS/HARRY BURKS SHOWS/REBEL AMUSEMENTS/CVS/MURPHYS/FARROWS/BLUEGRASS/AND LOTS MORE.
davy clark
carnivalangel14
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 6:29:18 AM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Sixcat

From a concessionaires point of view, it's what shows have you booked with rather then worked on, so with that in mind, Here's what I can remember.

*Playtime Shows.
Ace Amusements.
*Lawrence Carr Shows.
World of Mirth.
Dave Endy Shows.
Blue Grass Shows.
Oscars Amusements.
Reithoffer Shows.
Dean & Flynn's Fiesta Shows.
Colbert's Fiesta Shows.
*Gillette Shows.
*Smokeys Greater Shows.
Arnold Amusements.
Amusements of America.
S&S Amusements.
Finelli Shows.
*Santa Maria's Famous Funway.
*Goodings Million Dollar Midways.
Blue Ribbon Shows.
Sam Pino Shows.
New England Amusements.
Pine Tree Shows.
Granite State Shows.
Rockwell Amusements.
Royal Amusements.
Coleman Brothers Shows.
Heart of Dixie Shows.
Moore's Greater Shows.
Crown Amusements.
OC Buck Shows.
Buck Page Shows.
Victor's Amusements.
Lagasee Amusement Company.
Diamond D. Amusements.
Grimwoods Shows.
Continental Shows.
King Reid Shows.
Dale T. Thomas Shows.
Southland Amusements.
John W. Langil Shows.
Strates Shows.
Amusements of Rochester.
Wonderful World Shows.
Vendetto Brothers Shows.
Connecticut Amusements.
Dell & Travis.
Whaling City Shows.

I know there's more, but I've gone blank.

*Shows I've been lot man, concession manager, or unit manager on.






Wow, thats a lot of carnivals! [;)]

~V~
*_ Agility~ My anti drug!!_*
Bossman
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 6:50:30 AM
Sixcat, you have forgotten more than most of us will ever know about the industry. I would love to sit and cut the jackpot with you someday. Please keep posting. Did you ever work around Van Helman?
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 9:46:16 AM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Bossman

Sixcat, you have forgotten more than most of us will ever know about the industry. I would love to sit and cut the jackpot with you someday. Please keep posting. Did you ever work around Van Helman?



Not that I recall. I am an East Coast Carny with New England roots. I'm 62 and was born in the business. My Dad was in it. I did winter in Texas for a while and that's where I met up with Moore's, Dale T Thomas, and Heart of Dixie.

You are right about forgotten. I see people from the past and the names don't come to me sometime. However, I can remember almost every layout on every lot I've played on. It's been my life but this might be my last full time year. My son's running it and I'm just along for the ride. We go North day after tomorrow. May 14. This will be our 12th season with Reithoffer. We open up in Philly May 20. We are loading the Spacecraft today. When I was a kid we had an old single axle house trailer with no plumbing. Now I have satellite TV, washer/dryer, microwave, you name it. Wonder what my dad would have thought about all this. Probably that we have it to soft. Of course, he didn't have 900 mile jumps either. For him 100 miles was a bit much. Ahhh, the good old days. NOT! [;)]
Sixcats have nine lives
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 10:16:01 AM
Quote:

When I was a kid we had an old single axle house trailer with no plumbing. [/quote
]You just jard my memory sixcat, not about anything from the past but about an article in a magazine I saw a few weeks ago. It was a feature on house trailers from the past with info on gatherings and rentals of same. Those pics brought back memories and are just as important as jackpotting about old pig iron. I'll try to find it and post the source.


UserPostedImage
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 1:06:11 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Pinetar

Quote:

When I was a kid we had an old single axle house trailer with no plumbing. [/quote
]You just jard my memory sixcat, not about anything from the past but about an article in a magazine I saw a few weeks ago. It was a feature on house trailers from the past with info on gatherings and rentals of same. Those pics brought back memories and are just as important as jackpotting about old pig iron. I'll try to find it and post the source.




When I was about ten, I kicked over the sloop bucket by accident. It all spilled out the trailer door. My old man wouldn't let me out on the midway for a week. [;)] Talk about a memory that won't quit. I can still smell it.
Sixcats have nine lives
ridesafe
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 1:06:54 PM
Only been one 1 show. I started on Crabtree in 1994, and it's the only show I have ever worked on, and it will stay that way if I have anything to say about it. Although technically my first spot was at the Heart of Texas Fair when it was still a Hames spot... does that count?=)
"Sometimes the world seems like a big hole. You spend all your life shouting down it and all you hear are echoes of some idiot shouting nonsense down a hole." -Adam Duritz
LuckyStar
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 1:13:37 PM
I have worked on:
Amusement of America(where it all started for me)
Bluegrass Shows
Myers International Midways
Wade Shows
Strates
Reithoffer
Silver Dollar
Lawrence Carr
Conklin

Guest
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 5:08:48 PM
gooding amusements
wade show
kissel brothers
conklin shows
murphys
bluegrass
royal crown
charlie brown amusements
carpender brothers
luehrs ideal rides
b & b amusements
ray cammick shows
butler
durant amusements
durant amusements
dine show


there is a bunch more, but my mind is old...lol
BSA Mike
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 5:16:49 PM
gruelurks
Thursday, May 13, 2004 3:33:47 PM
1/2 1991 Season on Reithoffer working for Lionel 'Crankshaft' Miller. (Really, he does look like that)

Rest of my main seasons with Pugh Shows. '91 - '99.

Various shows during the winter to get exposure to other shows included:

Rebel Amusements (You cajuns rock!) booked in with an independant pizza joint owned by Raymond something or other. Can't recall his last name, nice guy though, had a cpl stick joints, based out of LA. Guy who owns Rebel is a heck of a nice owner. Only dinged us $15 for the Houma, LA. spot since we were so dead, and kept his crew happy with hot sauce, crawfish pizzas...[8D]

A of A (1 week was enough for a country club Pugh show guy like me)

Murphy Brother working for Pee Wee's cookhouse (best biscuits and gravy ever!)

Hildrebrands Midway of Fun (Harlan Bast, monthly pay just didn't work for me.)

Almost worked for United Shows one winter in FL. till I saw the Communist roll call at 9am, lol.

Was booked in with Drew a few times down south with Pugh's Orbitor, a fine, classy show.
sausageseller
Thursday, May 13, 2004 7:02:55 PM
Murphy Brother working for Pee Wee's cookhouse (best biscuits and gravy ever!)


SS. If that was PeeWee Hoskins, his first job on the road was for my father in law (Jim Dickerson) in a "Christy Cookhouse". He washed dishes in the kitchen, set up in the middle of a Indiana cookhouse. I think my father in law said he was 16. He also said he "graduated' and went to work for Jimmy DeMotte in his "Christy Cookhouse". I don't know if he stayed in the kitchen or went to waiting tables or the front end!
Missin it
Friday, May 14, 2004 6:23:44 AM
I must have led a sheltered life, I only worked for A of A and of course Angels Amusements (booked in with A of A, Dade County Youth, Meadowlands etc....) I wish I had tried others but life was good.
"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

If you can't defend your self don't make stupid comments (please)
Users browsing this topic
  • OceanSpiders 2.0