MidwayGirl
Monday, January 19, 2004 10:46:13 AM
Did anybody go to the NYS Fair convention this past weekend in Rochester, New York?

I was just wondering if there are going to be many carnival changes this summer in New York State?

Any official word yet who got the contract for Horseheads?
cny_chris
Monday, January 19, 2004 10:49:41 AM
From the information on the website, it is concluding today. But I'll second that request for more information. What's the news? Anyone?
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
midtown bootboy
Monday, January 19, 2004 10:53:16 AM
Horseheads is a tiny fair. Coleman has it.
Skywheelrider
Monday, January 19, 2004 11:45:00 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by midtown bootboy

Horseheads is a tiny fair. Coleman has it.

According to MST458 (poster on this board) Coleman "had" it, but will not be back. [|)]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Jzrider0720
Monday, January 19, 2004 2:04:46 PM
MidwayGirl
Monday, January 19, 2004 3:24:48 PM
I attended the Chemung County Fair several times and it's far from being a tiny Fair.

It's one of the larger Fairs here in New York State.
midtown bootboy
Monday, January 19, 2004 3:41:31 PM
Well I have a little experience with this fair being I had friends involved with it. The ride gross is about 100K.
Da Bair
  •  Da Bair
  • 50.18% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, January 19, 2004 3:49:01 PM
WE have been through this how many times?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

cny_chris
Monday, January 19, 2004 4:12:36 PM
引用:

quote:

Posted - 01/19/2004 : 7:04:46 PM by jzrider0317

whats the link to the site?

http://www.nyfairs.org/trade-show.htm 

It's a little out of date, as they never posted the schedule they promised.

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
cny_chris
Monday, January 19, 2004 4:17:12 PM
引用:

quote:

Posted - 01/19/2004 : 8:24:48 PM by MidwayGirl

I attended the Chemung County Fair several times and it's far from being a tiny Fair.

It's one of the larger Fairs here in New York State.

Let's see, fairs in NY:

Erie County Fair -- approx. 1,000,000 to 1,100,000
NY State Fair -- approx. 950,000 to 1,000,000
Dutchess County Fair -- approx. 500,000

Chemung County Fair -- approx 100,000

Anyone got any other attendance figures. Pretty sure I've got the top 3 right........

Mst458
Monday, January 19, 2004 4:39:47 PM
cny_Chris -

Yes, you are pretty accurate on those figures.

Orange County Fair in Middletown, NY is bigger then Horseheads.
The former Westchester County Fair in Yonkers, NY is bigger then Horseheads.

I've never been to Albany County Fair in Altamont, NY, so I'm not sure the size on that Fair nor some of the Fairs up in the Northern part of the state such as Jefferson County Fair.

I would consider the following Fairs (tiny fairs):

Trumansburg Fair
Hemlock Fair
Livingston County Fair
Genessee County Fair
Steuben County Fair
Tioga County Fair
Broome County Fair
Chenango County Fair
Lewis County Fair
Oneida County Fair
Afton Fair
Allegany County Fair
Cortland County Fair
Seneca Couny Fair
Yates County Fair
Ontario County Fair
Niagara County

Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, January 19, 2004 4:58:03 PM
I was at the NY Convention. Not much hard news. As usual show and fair people are hesitant to talk about rumors or deals that may not be finalized.

Word Saturday was that no one had a signed contract for Horseheads. I could not find anyone to talk to from that fair to get their side of the story.
I ran into Anthony Oakes from Coleman Bros but he was on his way somewhere and excused himself right after exchanging pleasantries. I went to the Coleman suite twice but once there was no one there the first time and another time their was only a fair manager there waiting for Oakes and Tim Coleman to return. I was told that Bob Coleman Sr was not at the convention.

I looked for the Strates people on Monday to see if they had any new info but they were apparently already gone.

Sorry folks but no real news on this lingering story.

I did not hear of any other fair changing shows.

Gene Chaffee had two respresentatives of his new Eastern Seaboard Shows. They plan to operate as one unit keeping the biggest and best spots in NY. They would not however give many details about which ones they had signed because deals were not all final. They said the new show would still have the majority of rides Chaffee had last year, minus the Scooter and a couple others.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, January 19, 2004 5:03:36 PM
New York Fair & SHow awards

Fair person of the year: Peter Cappucilli (NYSF Manager)

Show Person of the year: Bob Commerford (Award delivered by one of Bob's Camels brought out onto the banquet floor by his son Bill. Commerford's close friend, Wayne McCary (BigE manager) was present to see the presentation.

Showpeoples Workhorse of the Year: Avery D Wheelock

Diceased Showperson: Dick Janas

Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, January 19, 2004 5:59:26 PM
I would have loved to have been there to see the camel bring out the award for Bob Commerford. I've known him more than 20 years, what a great guy!
orphaned
Tuesday, January 20, 2004 4:56:23 AM
Horseheads = Chemung County, right?