Carnivalbuff
  •  Carnivalbuff
  • 70.36% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Wednesday, August 5, 2020 1:06:41 PM
Was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about attendance at any of the fairs/carnivals that have been held and if people that are coming out are spending any money?
I know the Delaware State Fair was just completed? Anyone have any information about how it was?
IndianaTED
Thursday, August 13, 2020 9:40:49 PM
Have only seen one carnival this year in my general area of Indiana. It was an event that normally would be over the Memorial Day weekend and the following week. The carnival played the spot in mid-July instead, and was the carnival only, where as in the original event it would have also had stage entertainment, food area, craft vendors, etc. The carnival was as big as it normally would have been, but the attendance was way off. could be attributed to the downsizing of the event in general, different timing not involving a holiday weekend, or people being cautious about being out in crowds, who knows?
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
Carnivalbuff
  •  Carnivalbuff
  • 70.36% (Friendly)
Saturday, August 15, 2020 6:17:13 PM
Thank you for that follow up information IndianaTED. I kind of figured attendance would be down at most carnivals and/or fairs that are actually taking place.
I think people in general are afraid to go out; especially in big crowds. Hopefully this thing will blow or go somehow or another out of here before next season comes around.
rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, August 16, 2020 3:06:06 PM

While Missouri is only a youth livestock show there are still quite a few people here there for that. I have spent quite a bit on the concessions that are there in the first couple of days. It seems to be picking up a bit for them as people are realizing there is no admission and you can just drive right up to the stands and buy food. Not sure why they were not able to have a carnival in Sedalia but Springfield did. There is no doubt in my mind attendance would have been steady had they not cancelled as the weather is fantastic here for August in the mid 80`s.
RodB
thunderbolt85
Monday, August 17, 2020 9:41:41 AM
Originally Posted by: rodler 

While Missouri is only a youth livestock show there are still quite a few people here there for that. I have spent quite a bit on the concessions that are there in the first couple of days. It seems to be picking up a bit for them as people are realizing there is no admission and you can just drive right up to the stands and buy food. Not sure why they were not able to have a carnival in Sedalia but Springfield did. There is no doubt in my mind attendance would have been steady had they not cancelled as the weather is fantastic here for August in the mid 80`s.

The shows may just not want to pull all the equipment out for one or two spots and not knowing if they will make any money or just lose money. One thing to keep in mind is that shows make money by working their way to each spot earning along the way.

If a show just has one spot to play, to send out say 50 loads or more and the results are "iffy", well you get the picture.

The show I worked for was a regional show (southeast), we had a fellow managing the second unit who was from the northeast and he wanted to take the unit up there during the spring/summer because yes there were some good spots up there. But the show owner asked about what spots he could get "on the way" up north to help pay for it and then back down south again. Long story short we never went up north because we really didn't have the route to get there and back.
Carnivalbuff
  •  Carnivalbuff
  • 70.36% (Friendly)
Monday, August 17, 2020 3:52:21 PM
I know exactly what you are saying Thunderbolt85.
Matt C.
Wednesday, August 19, 2020 12:37:43 PM
Originally Posted by: Carnivalbuff 

I know the Delaware State Fair was just completed? Anyone have any information about how it was?

https://carnivalwarehous...cessful-event-1597622400 

Basically, the revenue was not what they had hoped for BUT the fair also experienced extreme heat, rain on both fridays, and the fair ran with a modified entertainment schedule. Typically, the fair has several major headlining acts that draw in big crowds, however, they were cut for 2020 due to social distancing measures.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
thunderbolt85
Thursday, August 20, 2020 10:53:48 AM
Good story too Matt, thanks for keeping things going right now!