thunderbolt85
Tuesday, August 4, 2020 8:07:17 AM
Does anyone know for sure, did Kissel drop the Sky Diver from their line up? I don't see it on the webpage anymore, but was just hoping its being redone or something.
bigjlh
Wednesday, August 5, 2020 1:07:10 PM
Thunderbolt,think there was a problem last year with piece.if the agencys that lay eyes on them find any rust inside those square sweeps.it creates problems getting open.saw a rebuilt diver somewhere that had galvanized sweeps.bet that was pricey.ok then thanks bigjlh
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, August 6, 2020 12:13:57 AM
Wasn't the Diver removed from Ohio State Fair last year due to "corrosion"?
thunderbolt85
Thursday, August 6, 2020 7:57:49 AM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Wasn't the Diver removed from Ohio State Fair last year due to "corrosion"?

It was, thought they might be rebuilding it, but maybe not, may not be worth it.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, August 6, 2020 7:59:37 AM
Originally Posted by: bigjlh 

Thunderbolt,think there was a problem last year with piece.if the agencys that lay eyes on them find any rust inside those square sweeps.it creates problems getting open.saw a rebuilt diver somewhere that had galvanized sweeps.bet that was pricey.ok then thanks bigjlh

Well considering the ride doesn't make a lot of money, and prone to tip over in storms, I doubt anyone would spend tons of money to do that or do a lot of work to it.

I guess its just a dying ride, hate that, always loved a good Diver on the lot, but nothing can be done I guess.
ridejocky
Thursday, August 6, 2020 3:27:27 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

Well considering the ride doesn't make a lot of money, and prone to tip over in storms, I doubt anyone would spend tons of money to do that or do a lot of work to it.

I guess its just a dying ride, hate that, always loved a good Diver on the lot, but nothing can be done I guess.

Strates always guyed the diver out with a farm tractor when a storm was forecasted.

Rebuilding the A-frames is pretty easy, they're just standard 2" tubing. Sweeps are probably easy as well, but never did any of those.

Hot-dip galvanizing is relatively cheap, but you have to strip all the wiring and drill a lot of big drain holes. Easy to find someone with a tank big enough for A-frames, sweeps more difficult but defiantly doable.

Were I wanting to rebuild one, I'd build tank big enough to dip the sweeps, fill it with Ospho, drill drain holes in the sweeps, dip, turn, repeat a few time and let drain & dry. Rinse, weld up the holes and paint.
Ride the Zipper?
bigjlh
Thursday, August 6, 2020 10:25:43 PM
A diver owner years ago,built new sweeps in house,forgot how to re-install on egg shaped center hub.iirc they were built too short or the same lenght.caused a lot of grief getting back together correct.the sweeps will be 360.but the way sizzor raises the egg shape hub makes this possible iirc.was many years ago.ok then thanks bigjlh.seen one in scrap yard in Texas they were scrapping.sat for a while the way it looked.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, August 6, 2020 10:54:33 PM
Diver sweeps are all custom length, so not an easy rebuild. Knew some guys who took one apart and didn't keep track of sweep lengths, rebuild was never finished. with the low financial return an expensive rebuild is not justified, unless you need a spectacular piece just for show. Who could afford that today?
Powers & Thomas had their Diver blown over 2 years ago and they had it tied to a semi tractor but the wind was so strong it broke the cable. Heard it had been beautifully redone when they got it but never got to see it before the storm.
thunderbolt85
Friday, August 7, 2020 8:19:30 AM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Diver sweeps are all custom length, so not an easy rebuild. Knew some guys who took one apart and didn't keep track of sweep lengths, rebuild was never finished. with the low financial return an expensive rebuild is not justified, unless you need a spectacular piece just for show. Who could afford that today?
Powers & Thomas had their Diver blown over 2 years ago and they had it tied to a semi tractor but the wind was so strong it broke the cable. Heard it had been beautifully redone when they got it but never got to see it before the storm.

Oh it was beautiful, watch them on FB rebuilding and then saw pictures and it was outstanding. Even laying on its side it looked good, except for being on its side. They know how to rebuild rides.

Yeah, guess even J&J has dropped theirs, haven't seen it anyway, beautiful ride, but as one showman told me one time long ago, just a big light tower.
ridejocky
Friday, August 7, 2020 10:29:40 AM
I think there are only eight different length sweeps on the diver
Ride the Zipper?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, August 7, 2020 10:00:29 PM
Last I knew J&J had at least one Diver in storage. At one time that show had 2 Divers, 2 skywheels, 2 yoyos, 2 super loops, 2 hurricanes etc.
The put 2 Loops up next to each other in Dunkirk, NY around 2006.