Home | Carnival News | Fair News | Park News | Classifieds & Help Wanted | Galleries | Contact
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline thunderbolt85  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 11:47:12 AM(UTC)
thunderbolt85

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 286 time(s) in 239 post(s)
I know a lot of us are either fans of the business, and some of us have moved and operated rides, but what about games?

I had to chance to work a few over the years, I worked a balloon bust for a close friend many times when he needed extra help at a big spot, didn't really like being trapped in the joint (wanted to be on the rides), but I did make a whole lot more money.

Also worked a long range for some brothers on Deggeller once and then again when they were booked with Strates in the early 90s. Make good money there as well and they tried to get me to come up to Raleigh at the time and work the spot but just didn't ever make it, but they told me of the big money in there, wish I had tried it.

Worked a few others, duck pond, cork gun, and a few others but games wasn't my love, the rides were. I do remember having a knife pulled on me at one spot by guy who could never seem to win, but others around him would walk up and win right away. Course, he was just showing off and with the other agents close by he just tried to play it off as "just kidding".

Anybody got any good stories about their time in a joint?
Sponsor
Offline ridejocky  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 1:40:01 PM(UTC)
ridejocky

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Was that the Negas brothers?

I remember playing some rough spots with Atlas and thought we would have to shut down a balloon race because every time one would pop there would be a stampede.
Ride the Zipper?
Offline thunderbolt85  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 2:00:26 PM(UTC)
thunderbolt85

Not sure but don't think so, they were Jewish brothers, real nice folks, had a long range and color wheel or rat wheel I believe, only saw the long range.
Long range was orange with white pin stripes.
Offline bigjlh  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2020 10:55:46 PM(UTC)
bigjlh

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 44 post(s)
years ago,those agents and heat merchants were in a class of there own.sharply dressed with white on white shirts shined shoes.was drome rider at a time,one agent told me kid you create a good tip in that pickle barrel.why not put a apron on and make easy scratch.just smiled but learned alot from the man.stand up dude and liked to party.again those agents were a class act when they went to work.lol ok then thanks bigjlh
thanks 1 user thanked bigjlh for this useful post.
thunderbolt85 on 2/3/2020(UTC)
Offline indianacarnie  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2020 3:07:58 PM(UTC)
indianacarnie

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I worked games for 40+ years and have millions of stories. You want funny or scary? 1 of each it is then. My first year working alibis (bushel baskets) on .... Wade Shows I believe it was.... we had a circus jump and as I was the junior member on the crew, after we had everything set up I was elected to stay in the joint while everyone else went to get cleaned up. I'm sitting in a lawn chair tired as hell when down the midway comes a tv crew and a guy in a suit. He gets to my game and looks at me, then the tv crew and JUMPS over the counter , says to the tv "I'll SHOW you how this game is spring rigged!" and ripped the bottom out of a basket! Well, of course there's no spring in there. I'm laughing my ass off, he's embarrassed as hell and then started beefing about the bottle caps (flattened caps to drive the nails through to hold the basket on the board), long story short we ended up having to change every single basket because of this *. But the look on his face.... lol, I'll never forget it.

Playing a still date in Philly on the ghetto unit of Big A, only 2 games on the back end of the midway. Great night , apron stuffed with cash, watched 2 gangbangers start fighting right in front of the joint. Then it was 20 or 30 of them fighting.... me and the Boss were watching ,getting REAL nervous as some of these guys had been watching us make bank all evening. THATS when the one got stabbed. He fell into a bank-a-ball and when he did.... his hand hit the basket that these morons had been throwing their money in. It flipped up and all that cash went flying........ the crowd surged and TORE the joint to the ground! 2x4's snapping... the whole 9 yards. Thats when the Police finally got there but was a very scary moment.

Want more? lol
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
thanks 1 user thanked indianacarnie for this useful post.
thunderbolt85 on 2/3/2020(UTC)
Offline thunderbolt85  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2020 6:12:15 PM(UTC)
thunderbolt85

Originally Posted by: indianacarnie Go to Quoted Post
I worked games for 40+ years and have millions of stories. You want funny or scary? 1 of each it is then. My first year working alibis (bushel baskets) on .... Wade Shows I believe it was.... we had a circus jump and as I was the junior member on the crew, after we had everything set up I was elected to stay in the joint while everyone else went to get cleaned up. I'm sitting in a lawn chair tired as hell when down the midway comes a tv crew and a guy in a suit. He gets to my game and looks at me, then the tv crew and JUMPS over the counter , says to the tv "I'll SHOW you how this game is spring rigged!" and ripped the bottom out of a basket! Well, of course there's no spring in there. I'm laughing my ass off, he's embarrassed as hell and then started beefing about the bottle caps (flattened caps to drive the nails through to hold the basket on the board), long story short we ended up having to change every single basket because of this *. But the look on his face.... lol, I'll never forget it.

Playing a still date in Philly on the ghetto unit of Big A, only 2 games on the back end of the midway. Great night , apron stuffed with cash, watched 2 gangbangers start fighting right in front of the joint. Then it was 20 or 30 of them fighting.... me and the Boss were watching ,getting REAL nervous as some of these guys had been watching us make bank all evening. THATS when the one got stabbed. He fell into a bank-a-ball and when he did.... his hand hit the basket that these morons had been throwing their money in. It flipped up and all that cash went flying........ the crowd surged and TORE the joint to the ground! 2x4's snapping... the whole 9 yards. Thats when the Police finally got there but was a very scary moment.

Want more? lol

Wow, interesting stories, keep em coming when you feel like it.
Offline JustinJames  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2020 3:10:31 AM(UTC)
JustinJames

Groups: Registered, Approved Members
United States

Was thanked: 371 time(s) in 242 post(s)
I worked games at about 13 years old. Enjoyed myself but my interests were in rides and the mechanics of them.

Now I help manage a show...

In hindsight, I kinda wish my dad would have beat me every time I mentioned a carnival. 🙄
thanks 1 user thanked JustinJames for this useful post.
thunderbolt85 on 2/4/2020(UTC)
Offline indianacarnie  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2020 4:30:26 PM(UTC)
indianacarnie

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 Go to Quoted Post
Wow, interesting stories, keep em coming when you feel like it.

Well, you asked for it lol.

Playing Golden Gate Florida, winter time with Tolve, me and my best friend ever (Junior) were working Riley's fake ABC "The Great American Balloon Game" and doing very well. I took a break and as I'm walking down the midway coming back I see Junior with a full tip. Well, 2 couples anyway, with those high counters 2 couples were a TIP lol. Anyway.... as I get closer I see they all have the same t-shirts on. I'm still too far away to make out what they SAY but I can see a big ole marijuana leaf on all of them. Thinking Junior may need help keeping other marks away while he's working I speed up and the closer I get the more I'm thinking "these guys don't look like weed people". Sure enough when I get to the joint I read their shirts and it says something something "BOAST". The inside of the "O" is the marijuana leaf and these guys were all Fed's on some kind of drug interdiction program! I climb over the counter and whisper to Junior "these guys are Fed's man!" he smiled that big ole smile of his and said "yeah, I know". He had them in the trick sack already and was just laughing away. Think he got em for a total of around $500.

Playing Manassas Virgina, still date early spring parking lot, THINK it was Reithoffer. My joint had been in an accident on the way and couldn't be set up (that's a whole OTHER story!) So I'm just working the spot in a ring a bottle for .... Wayne .... Furr (?) something like that. Anyway, he was a big ole guy and ..... yes a drunk, (have a lot of stories about/with this guy) great guy to work for though if he liked you. Its Saturday , just starting to get a little money when here he comes to make a pick up. Drunk as 15 skunks and singing some song. He climbed over the railing , sat down on the slough box and talked for a few.... as he's talking he's sliding down and down .. and down..... until he's laid out on his back on the slough box snoring loud as a generator lol. My players kept laughing and the more they laughed the louder he snored. Finally it was so bad everyone left and I couldn't beg a mark to play. EVENTUALLY, his wife came and sorta/kinda carried him back to his house. My morning was shot though.

Wait... those were both funny.... another scary one. EARLY spring parking lot in Detroit. Crown Amusements. Midway coated in ice. I'm working 3 joints, a center balloon, a line up roll a beef and a line up mini ball. Just as it got dark a bunch of gangbangers started fighting in the parking area outside the perimeter of the show directly across from me. When the shooting started I could see the flashes and hear the retorts plain as day. Had a bullet pass through the game next to me and Chiefs house was hit too. No injuries for us on the show but was a close call.
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
thanks 1 user thanked indianacarnie for this useful post.
thunderbolt85 on 2/5/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed