SHOWMEN'S MARKETPLACE - CLASSIFIED ADS

Click here to learn how YOU can advertise in the Showmen's Marketplace.

Home | News | Marketplace & Classifieds | Photo Galleries | Advertise | Contact Us
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online thunderbolt85  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 10:47:30 AM(UTC)
thunderbolt85

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 255 time(s) in 212 post(s)
You know we don't talk about shows out in the far Midwest and Rookies very much on here, both old and current shows.

Now I don't know much about them, know some about Century 21, Murphy Brothers, and a few others, but would like to hear some stories about some great old shows and current ones out that way.

What do have?
Sponsor
Offline rodler  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 10:19:08 PM(UTC)
rodler

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 58 post(s)

Murphy Brothers Exposition is the show that got me interested in carnivals. Outstanding show that jumped all the way from West Allis, Wisconsin to the Missouri State Fair with some great rides. The power plant trailers all had light towers on them and the best entrance sign of any show I seen which sadly ended up being destroyed by a storm here. They always had multiple music rides on the midway and an atmosphere that kept us on grounds until closing. Some of the rides that I loved the most were the falling star, sky wheel, Jaguar Express Himalaya, Rainbow, and one year they brought in a Bayern Curve,
Some other shows they brought in were Reed Expositions, Lowery Carnival, Crabtree Amusements plus I remember other rides from Pride of Texas, Talley and several other Texas Shows. Great Memories!
RodB
Online thunderbolt85  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2019 11:07:23 AM(UTC)
thunderbolt85

Murphy Brothers was an amazing show from what I could tell in pictures and stories. Liked their Bumper Boats, what color was their Sky Wheel when they had it?

Also, did they have a "bobs" type music ride? I know Bluegrass had the Thunderbolt, but was wondering about Murphy.
Offline rodler  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2019 5:07:51 PM(UTC)
rodler

Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 Go to Quoted Post
Murphy Brothers was an amazing show from what I could tell in pictures and stories. Liked their Bumper Boats, what color was their Sky Wheel when they had it?

Also, did they have a "bobs" type music ride? I know Bluegrass had the Thunderbolt, but was wondering about Murphy.

The Sky Wheel was yellow and yes they had a Thunder Bolt. Not sure the fury they had one year was theirs, but I do remember there was a sound system on it. May have been during the Reed Expo years.

Edited by user Monday, October 21, 2019 5:14:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RodB
Online thunderbolt85  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 11:05:24 AM(UTC)
thunderbolt85

Originally Posted by: rodler Go to Quoted Post
The Sky Wheel was yellow and yes they had a Thunder Bolt. Not sure the fury they had one year was theirs, but I do remember there was a sound system on it. May have been during the Reed Expo years.

Didn't they have a really nice Sea Dragon at one time with an expanded platform? Seems I saw a picture of it one time in Carnival mag.

I have an old Chance rides product pamphlet from the 80s when they were still selling the Sky Wheel. The picture of the Sky Wheel is on Murphy Brothers midway and you can see a good collection of other rides and they look very sharp.
Offline rodler  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 1:07:40 PM(UTC)
rodler

Didn't they have a really nice Sea Dragon at one time with an expanded platform? Seems I saw a picture of it one time in Carnival mag.

I have an old Chance rides product pamphlet from the 80s when they were still selling the Sky Wheel. The picture of the Sky Wheel is on Murphy Brothers midway and you can see a good collection of other rides and they look very sharp.

I cannot remember Murphy`s being themed Sea Dragon I can only remember Lowery`s. I believe originally they had a Pirate themed ship.
RodB
thanks 1 user thanked rodler for this useful post.
thunderbolt85 on 10/28/2019(UTC)
Offline Tornado  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:20:09 PM(UTC)
Tornado

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 114 post(s)

was that possibly United show's Sea Dragon? And did not Belle City have one, perhaps this one?
Online thunderbolt85  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:47:57 PM(UTC)
thunderbolt85

Originally Posted by: Tornado Go to Quoted Post
was that possibly United show's Sea Dragon? And did not Belle City have one, perhaps this one?

Yeah, Belle City had a nice Sea Dragon which I believe they have dropped now, but thought it was Murphy, I will thumb thru those old mags and see if I see it again and confirm.
Offline rodler  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 3:13:46 PM(UTC)
rodler

Sadly most all of my relatives and friends who used to help with set up on the midway have passed, but I cannot find any photos of the midway with the pirate on it. We have a fair museum on the grounds if anyone ever visits here that has some cool photos of the midway from the past.
RodB
Offline wvscott  
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2019 1:44:58 PM(UTC)
wvscott

United States

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 30 post(s)
correct me if I am wrong, but pretty sure Murphy used to send some rides back east with Strates to Gaithersburg MD while most of Strates played the NY State Fair
Offline ridejocky  
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2019 2:17:24 PM(UTC)
ridejocky

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 110 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rodler Go to Quoted Post
Sadly most all of my relatives and friends who used to help with set up on the midway have passed, but I cannot find any photos of the midway with the pirate on it. We have a fair museum on the grounds if anyone ever visits here that has some cool photos of the midway from the past.

Yeah, I was with it from '76-'88 and have virtually no photos.

Ride the Zipper?
Offline Bill P  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2019 12:19:33 AM(UTC)
Bill P

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 116 post(s)
When SMS [Strates-Murphy-??] played Montgomery Co in Gaithersburg it overlapped Hamburg and Syracuse So, Strates typically sent TWO rides down there. Different pieces different years. Some combos I remember were Diver & Tbolt, Enterprise & Tbolt or Orbiter, Cliffhanger & ?, etc.
The Thunderbolt often went because Strates still had a Flying Bobs till around 1993. The two rides would often go into Syracuse halfway thru the run.

Ring of fire went to gaithersburg once too because I remember Wheelock's Rio Grande train was in Syracuse and the marked outline for the Ring trailer was on the visible in the center of the train track. When ring came in train was taken out.
Offline ridejocky  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2019 1:31:46 AM(UTC)
ridejocky

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 110 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bill P Go to Quoted Post
When SMS [Strates-Murphy-??] played Montgomery Co in Gaithersburg it overlapped Hamburg and Syracuse So, Strates typically sent TWO rides down there. Different pieces different years. Some combos I remember were Diver & Tbolt, Enterprise & Tbolt or Orbiter, Cliffhanger & ?, etc.
The Thunderbolt often went because Strates still had a Flying Bobs till around 1993. The two rides would often go into Syracuse halfway thru the run.

Ring of fire went to gaithersburg once too because I remember Wheelock's Rio Grande train was in Syracuse and the marked outline for the Ring trailer was on the visible in the center of the train track. When ring came in train was taken out.

Yeah, I remember the bolt going, but I don't remember what else went. Maybe the Saturn, Skywheel or Yo-Yo, they went over the road.

Wasn't he sending some stuff to Clearfield PA for a while?

Ride the Zipper?
Online thunderbolt85  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2019 10:55:35 AM(UTC)
thunderbolt85

I remember that about Maryland, remember the T-Bolt showed up late one year to Anderson because it had been up there, at least that's what I was told.

Murphy played a stadium as well on the east coast didn't he?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed