Cygnus12
  •  Cygnus12
  • 56.96% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:49:16 PM
http://www.abc2news.com/...fair-in-ohio-report-says 

Awful news. Says 1 dead and several injured. Looked like it was a KMG Fireball.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, July 26, 2017 9:33:06 PM
Channel 4 in Columbus is live streaming

http://nbc4i.com/2017/07...tion-at-ohio-state-fair/ 
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
PKIDelirium
Wednesday, July 26, 2017 9:46:23 PM

Apparent video. Graphic content warning...
Chris_texas
Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:01:04 PM
Which ride company has the contract for Ohio?
PKIDelirium
Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:07:55 PM
Chris_texas
Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:11:20 PM
Originally Posted by: PKIDelirium 

AOA since 1997 or so

Thanks. What a sad day for everyone.
PKIDelirium
Wednesday, July 26, 2017 11:19:49 PM
I've ridden that Fireball more times than I can even count, at two different locations including OHSF. It looked like that "pod" of four seats just disintegrated right when the upswing started. I won't jump to conclusions on the root cause of this failure, although at least on the exterior those groups of seats seem to be all Fiberglass, so the video seemingly showing at least one individual seat falling away doesn't surprise me considering the violence of the failure.

Local reports still at one fatality, 5 critical and two stable. News conference with OSP, Ohio Agri, and the governor ended a little while ago. Governor ordered all rides closed around 9 pending re-inspection, they had apparently continued to operate, even nearby rides, for at least an hour after the incident which was at 7-something PM. Midway was originally scheduled to operate until 11
Sparky220
Wednesday, July 26, 2017 11:52:09 PM
From the sound on the YouTube Video, the Sweep struck something at the loading ramp. The Loading Ramp ? In the video, an Inspector is speaking of how the ramp was lowered to Operate the Ride... If so, the Death was worse
than the Zyklon collapse in the 1960's...
coasterkeener
Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:02:22 AM
Sparky220 what was the Zyklon collapse in the 1960's?
PKIDelirium
Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:09:58 AM
Watching the video more closely, it looks and sounds like one of the gondolas strikes part of the lowering floor directly under it, it breaks off and into pieces, and then at least part of it strikes a gondola on the opposite side of the ring...

Apparently Fireball had just been signed off TODAY by Ohio Agri ride inspectors, per the press conference, after inspectors had been working overtime to catch up with inspections delayed by recent rain and flooding in the state.

EDIT: Five minute video of the aftermath, shows some of the wreckage of the ride and state troopers and paramedics swarming the scene. Warning, graphic content:
thunderbolt85
Thursday, July 27, 2017 7:09:00 AM
A really sad day for the victims, families, the fair, AOA, and the industry overall.

My prayers and thoughts are for all of those involved.
ringmaster
Thursday, July 27, 2017 11:18:14 AM
Maybe. We'll never know. The video of the actual accident has already been covered up!
Video still available on some sites.
Discjo
Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:18:06 PM
BeauceCarnavalMan
Thursday, July 27, 2017 2:59:52 PM
Originally Posted by: PKIDelirium 

Watching the video more closely, it looks and sounds like one of the gondolas strikes part of the lowering floor directly under it, it breaks off and into pieces, and then at least part of it strikes a gondola on the opposite side of the ring...

Apparently Fireball had just been signed off TODAY by Ohio Agri ride inspectors, per the press conference, after inspectors had been working overtime to catch up with inspections delayed by recent rain and flooding in the state.

EDIT: Five minute video of the aftermath, shows some of the wreckage of the ride and state troopers and paramedics swarming the scene. Warning, graphic content:

If you watch the slow video of it you can see the car already breaks apart and hits the floor then gets thrown up in the air

BeauceCarnavalMan
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, July 27, 2017 11:05:31 PM
With the raised the seats would clear it. Feet may drag on the deck. KMG has requested all Fireballs be shut down until this is resolved.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked