thunderbolt85
Friday, March 25, 2016 3:24:26 PM
I wonder if anyone on here had worked the SC state fair during the Deggeller Days, either Magic Midway or DA.

I have seen some video's/pictures, but didn't get to make it down there during those years and would love to hear a little more about the midways and such, or just any good stories to tell.

lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, March 26, 2016 8:30:28 AM
I was there in the 70s working for Tommy Bear at the time. Had a 36' glass pitch up. It was a nickle back then. Tommy for some reason had the only crazy ball up then and it was rockin. Don't remember much about the midway, but had some great nights after the show closed. Lol
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, March 27, 2016 9:24:21 PM
Originally Posted by: lotman 

I was there in the 70s working for Tommy Bear at the time. Had a 36' glass pitch up. It was a nickle back then. Tommy for some reason had the only crazy ball up then and it was rockin. Don't remember much about the midway, but had some great nights after the show closed. Lol

36' joint! I think that's the biggest I've ever heard of.

ridejocky
Monday, March 28, 2016 6:55:19 AM
Used to see some big glass-pitches. I never saw nickles though, always dimes.

I'd of thought you'd get too much breakage with nickles.

Ray Ingram used to have a big pitch on Atlas back in the '70s
Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Monday, March 28, 2016 7:11:25 AM
I think the last one I saw was on Strates midway, sure would like to see one again, love to hear that noise.
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, March 28, 2016 7:19:44 AM
Originally Posted by: Scott 

36' joint! I think that's the biggest I've ever heard of.

2 18x14s put together.
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, March 28, 2016 7:28:24 AM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

Used to see some big glass-pitches. I never saw nickles though, always dimes.

I'd of thought you'd get too much breakage with nickles.

Ray Ingram used to have a big pitch on Atlas back in the '70s

Yes you got some breakage, but glass was heavier and cheaper then. We gave away goblets back then.
Approximately $200.00 worth of nickles in a canvas bank coin bag. We used to take a goblet fill it with nickels, shake it down, top it off again and you would be within 20 to 50 cent of $20.00 . Thats how we made up our banks for the agents.
Mark Twain
powersmidways.com
ridejocky
Monday, March 28, 2016 7:48:29 PM
I remember those big colored fluted gobblets.

Correction, it was Sam Ingram not Ray.
Ride the Zipper?
Hambone
  •  Hambone
  • 55.16% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, March 28, 2016 8:21:45 PM
We played it when I was a snot nosed kid in the 70s, Deggeller put a big show in there. My dad probably had a glass pitch there not 36' though, he did put up a 40' in Pascagoula Ms. for a number of years.
Alabama 18 time National Champions Roll Tide
IndianaTED
Monday, March 28, 2016 11:20:02 PM
I fondly remember the glass pitch games, and the ones I saw were always played with dimes. It's been so long since I've seen one, probably the late 70s.

I also remember the goblets, but as a separate game. It was a ping pong ball pitch game.

I always remember as a child, I thought I had a great night if I won a goblet along with winning a bottle of soda pop at the ring toss game. Never really cared about winning a stuffed animal.

...missing the good old days again
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
ridejocky
Tuesday, March 29, 2016 1:33:39 AM
Never cared about the glass-pitch, but I did like the Derby.
Ride the Zipper?