thunderbolt85
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 11:00:22 AM
Well, Drew Expo has been missing their Alpine Bobs for a couple of years now, they still have the Himalaya, but seems a loss without a "bobs" ride on the midway.

Now, I know why they sold it, but was wondering if anyone thinks they will replace it with something else one day...hopefully soon. Drew has no problem moving "big iron", they have proven that, and some good classics as well.

A good midway like his needs both the Himi and a Bobs ride though. Before the Alpine Bobs he had a Flying Bobs for a long time.

My thoughts would be a Hang Ten (less loads and better set up/tear down), or maybe a Mack Matterhorn.

If not a "bobs" style ride, then maybe another good music ride like a Calypso, or maybe buying the Mack SeaStorm Bahn and restoring it (which they are very good at). Or even better buying a Swiss Bobs, yee haw.

Just wanted to see what thoughts were.
Jackpotter
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:40:48 PM
My bet is that the Himalaya grosses have gone way up since a similar type ride is no longer on the midway.
Soda Guy
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:49:27 PM

So with all these "must have" rides on your list how many of the big spots are there and are they at the right time?

I will never understand why the answer It is a financial decision isn't a good enough answer.

And nothing personal, but there is a great article on a Matts front page, that guy can get you any ride you need for your perfect show. Just pony up the money you think it takes to put a show on the road.

Yes I know you say in theory, but to keep harping on it is why this site no longer gets show owners and equipment owners for the most part posting here anymore. I mean how would you like to be slugging it out in these types of conditions today, click on a website and have someone bashing you, a person who isn't moving any equipment at all, sounding like they are the expert.

And yes there is a new show starting up in Indiana, and when he asked me for some advise, (I have known this person for over 25 years) the first thing I said was don't listen to me when it comes to the rides, ask someone still in the business, who deals with the insurance companies, inspectors, DOT and so on and so on. Biggest mistake you could make owning a show is listening to people who THINK they know what the business is like today.
punkboysa18
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 1:36:22 PM
Well said!

Originally Posted by: Soda Guy 

So with all these "must have" rides on your list how many of the big spots are there and are they at the right time?

I will never understand why the answer It is a financial decision isn't a good enough answer.

And nothing personal, but there is a great article on a Matts front page, that guy can get you any ride you need for your perfect show. Just pony up the money you think it takes to put a show on the road.

Yes I know you say in theory, but to keep harping on it is why this site no longer gets show owners and equipment owners for the most part posting here anymore. I mean how would you like to be slugging it out in these types of conditions today, click on a website and have someone bashing you, a person who isn't moving any equipment at all, sounding like they are the expert.

And yes there is a new show starting up in Indiana, and when he asked me for some advise, (I have known this person for over 25 years) the first thing I said was don't listen to me when it comes to the rides, ask someone still in the business, who deals with the insurance companies, inspectors, DOT and so on and so on. Biggest mistake you could make owning a show is listening to people who THINK they know what the business is like today.

Bowler Roller
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 1:36:24 PM
Seems like you'd need a very big midway to justify both a Bobs and a Himi.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
thunderbolt85
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 2:46:56 PM

I will never understand why the answer It is a decision isn't a good enough answer.

Well, in the first place no body was "bashing" Drew as you put it. As I did on this topic I have said it before, Drew does a good job, has great equipment, and moves some great rides. My interest was around since he had one for so long, would he replace it with another music ride maybe in the future since I bet the reason he got rid of it (and I bet others would agree) is the fact that he does not own any rides from that company anymore.

MY question was about if he might replace it, not to bash his show as you put it.

Not everyone owner gets rid of equipment because of the financial reason as well, some just don't like to deal with the company that made it, or they want to make a change to something different, etc.

thunderbolt85
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 2:48:49 PM
Originally Posted by: Bowler Roller 

Seems like you'd need a very big midway to justify both a Bobs and a Himi.

Yeah, he has a strong route and had a bobs for about 20+ years with the Himi as well.
Soda Guy
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:00:32 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

A good midway like his needs both the Himi and a Bobs ride though. Before the Alpine Bobs he had a Flying Bobs for a long time.

quote]

So you state in this line that a "good" midway needs both, yet Drew only has one now. That means you are saying Drew doesn't even have a "good" midway anymore.

And that isn't bashing?

thunderbolt85
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 4:09:07 PM

Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

quote]

So you state in this line that a "good" midway needs both, yet Drew only has one now. That means you are saying Drew doesn't even have a "good" midway anymore.

And that isn't bashing?

No its not bashing and your making a big deal about nothing, and that's not what I am saying. Seems like you just want to pick....jeez if people are not posting on here anymore it maybe its because of things like this. This is a site to have discussions, and opinions given.

Bashing would be "such and such show is pretty sorry to visit anymore because they don't have such and such ride", or "I don't visit this show anymore because of this"

Do you know for fact that Drew got rid of the ride for financial reasons? If so, then why is there not any of those rides made by that company on his midway anymore?

Drew is a good midway, and my thoughts (which I have said before and most people understand are only the writers thoughts) are that with such a good midway its good to have those two different types of music rides, people love them both.

I have given Drew and plenty of other shows (even some I don't care for) good comments on this site and if you don't like a discussion, then don't reply, nobody is bashing here, drink some soda.

Soda Guy
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:42:02 PM

quote]

And that isn't bashing?

No its not bashing and your making a big deal about nothing, and that's not what I am saying. Seems like you just want to pick....jeez if people are not posting on here anymore it maybe its because of things like this. This is a site to have discussions, and opinions given.

Bashing would be "such and such show is pretty sorry to visit anymore because they don't have such and such ride", or "I don't visit this show anymore because of this"

Do you know for fact that Drew got rid of the ride for financial reasons? If so, then why is there not any of those rides made by that company on his midway anymore?

Drew is a good midway, and my thoughts (which I have said before and most people understand are only the writers thoughts) are that with such a good midway its good to have those two different types of music rides, people love them both.

I have given Drew and plenty of other shows (even some I don't care for) good comments on this site and if you don't like a discussion, then don't reply, nobody is bashing here, drink some soda.

OK Let me see if I can follow your "thinking". You want a discussion as long as people agree with you. But don't use your words against you, because well just because.

Do I know for 100% that it was financial that Drew quit carrying the ride? No not 100% but you have to admit that they wouldn't be in business as long as they have (or any other show) and keep making bad financial decisions. Plus it isn't just ride gross that goes into a financial decision on moving a ride. Mfg. support and price on parts is one, is the mfg. always coming up with "new updates" that the states then require all owners of the ride to do which always includes buying OEM parts from the Mfg. Man hours to repair and maintain, man hours to move . . . the list is actually quiet long, but hey you can always prove me wrong.

You know how to move equipment, you can drive, buy one and run the independent route with one and prove everyone especially me wrong. Heck start an LLC with other fans and you can probably get your investors here on Matt's.
tiltcharles
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 12:23:45 AM
They don't like chance rides I know this for a fact. A good friend of mines boss bought their old zipper and that what they were told. If you look they sold all chance rides. They are the last show in Illinois/Indiana that moves all the big iron even without a bobs.
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 7:30:45 AM
Originally Posted by: tiltcharles 

They don't like chance rides I know this for a fact. A good friend of mines boss bought their old zipper and that what they were told. If you look they sold all chance rides. They are the last show in Illinois/Indiana that moves all the big iron even without a bobs.

Exactly Tilt, they don't like Chance rides and my question was around if they were going to replace it with another type of music ride, which of course Drew is big enough for both, its a strong show.
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 7:41:55 AM

quote]

And that isn't bashing?

OK Let me see if I can follow your "thinking". You want a discussion as long as people agree with you. But don't use your words against you, because well just because.

Do I know for 100% that it was financial that Drew quit carrying the ride? No not 100% but you have to admit that they wouldn't be in business as long as they have (or any other show) and keep making bad financial decisions. Plus it isn't just ride gross that goes into a financial decision on moving a ride. Mfg. support and price on parts is one, is the mfg. always coming up with "new updates" that the states then require all owners of the ride to do which always includes buying OEM parts from the Mfg. Man hours to repair and maintain, man hours to move . . . the list is actually quiet long, but hey you can always prove me wrong.

You know how to move equipment, you can drive, buy one and run the independent route with one and prove everyone especially me wrong. Heck start an LLC with other fans and you can probably get your investors here on Matt's.

No, no one has to agree with me, it wouldn't be discussion then, it would just be me saying what I wanted to say. But your pretty quick to jump on folks as "bashing" the show, no bashing here intended, I have said it before in other posts and will again that Drew is a good show, with good classics, and equipment in great shape.

I never questioned their "thinking" about the ride, I knew they had sold all their chance rides and didn't want anymore, so my question was around since they had two different types of music rides for a long time, what was the thinking about replacing it (the bobs) with a different type of music ride.

And yeah, "bashing" would be telling a show owner his equipment looks like junk, his spots are junk, saying bad things about the owner and so fourth. Face it, people (and not just me) like certain rides and enjoy seeing/riding them, and the general public as well.

Sure, I don't own a show, but I have owned my own equipment, both rides, food, and games. I have worked on a lot of rides both big and small, worked in the office, worked for the fair/festival side for years and for personal reasons choose to sell my stuff, but my love for the business is still there.

If I did own a show, I would want to know what folks thought about what I was offering, both insiders and the public if done in the right way, ANY business owner should want to know if they are offering what people want.

Well, if I offended you, I am man enough to say "sorry".
80meterwheelman
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 9:10:18 AM

quote]

And that isn't bashing?

I'm, roughly, 21M short of getting my piece out there. Maybe, EXVSwat will pick up on this opportunity. I know he's gotta be out there peeking behind the canvas. How about it? Anybody else out there with $$$?
[helpsign]
Doing nothing is tiresome because you can't stop to rest.
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 10:11:17 AM
Originally Posted by: 80meterwheelman 

I'm, roughly, 21M short of getting my piece out there. Maybe, EXVSwat will pick up on this opportunity. I know he's gotta be out there peeking behind the canvas. How about it? Anybody else out there with $$$?
[helpsign]

[lol5]