Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Saturday, March 30, 2013 12:02:13 AM
I uploaded about 250 photos of Royal American to my flickr account tonight.

Not all photos are mine. I hope you enjoy them.

click HERE for Royal American Shows 
IndianaTED
Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:03:11 AM
Thanks once again Scott for these wonderful pictures.

Some questions for anybody who might know...

Where was the last spot and year played by RAS?
I think the last few years, RAS had down-sized and went over-the-road...what was the ride list that last season?
What year did they last travel by train?
What Shows own former RAS equipment today? I know Drew's Expositions has the Space Wheels. Anything else out there?

So sad a Show like this is gone.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
r1981474
Saturday, March 30, 2013 6:43:37 AM
Love the pics. When did RAS stop playing the Florida State Fair and was that when Deggeller took over?
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, March 30, 2013 11:01:31 AM
WOW! A lot of pictures I have never seen. Thanks for sharing Scott.
JMM
  •  JMM
  • 50.24% (Neutral)
  • Operations
Saturday, March 30, 2013 11:05:12 AM
Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Royal American really knew how to put on a show! From the light towers to the latest & greatest rides, their midways were the ultimate in the outdoor amusement business.

People occasionally joke about bulb counts, but Royal American paid attention to every detail and it shows in all these photos. Those night pictures really are an awesome sight. I don't know another show or park that managed to keep their Sky Diver 100% lit at every spot!
SAFETY FIRST
Saturday, March 30, 2013 11:30:01 AM
Awesome photos, thanks for sharing.
Flying Coaster
Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:38:17 PM
Love the barrel catching the oil leaking from the drive on the Velare wheel.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
Saturday, March 30, 2013 5:57:25 PM
Originally Posted by: IndianaTED 

Thanks once again Scott for these wonderful pictures.

Some questions for anybody who might know...

Where was the last spot and year played by RAS?
I think the last few years, RAS had down-sized and went over-the-road...what was the ride list that last season?
What year did they last travel by train?
What Shows own former RAS equipment today? I know Drew's Expositions has the Space Wheels. Anything else out there?

So sad a Show like this is gone.

Ok Ted here's what I can tell you.

The shows last offical spot was Pensacola Fl, but they booked their 100' Scooter into the Litle Rock Fair which was a week after Pensacola. I was there and saw the ride. I didn't even take any photos of it that year... I wish I had known.

The final ride list I'm not 100% of but what I know was the Century Wheel, Crazy Dance, Hi Roller, Skooter 2700, YoYO (although it might not have worked the very last year)Sky Diver, Scramber, Rock o Plane, Round Up and Gravitron. Kid rides were Chance 36' MGR, 4 Hamptons, Go Gator, AH Elephants, Berry go round, Winky the Whale, Great Western Train and Zamperla Jeep ride.

The show made the 1981 season by train but lost the Tampa Fair, Wisconsin Fair and Mississippi Fair, so the train was dropped for the 82 season. They had 3 State Fairs left the Minnesota, Kasas and Louisiana fairs. They had to convert alot of the show to road transport and move rides into trailers from wagons. They joined forces with Link Shows who had 3 State Fairs of their own which just happened to fit in-between the RAS state fairs giving each show 6 State Fairs to play. RAS only had 15 rides ready to take out. The Royal/Link deal only lasted that one season.

RAS picked up the Ozark Empire Fair in Springfield MO for 83 and then booked a string of smaller fairs and festivals that were not available to them while on rails.

Hard to tell where everything endded up. I would like to know this myself. Gold Medal Shows in Atlanta got the Sky Diver and the 440 Office trailer. Miller Spectacular also got a Office trailer too. Archway Amusements got a Generator, Jeeps and Train. Son Joe owned the HUSS Pirate and super slide on the show. Skip Hacket had leased the Rainbow and Kamikaze (themed Phoenix) to Dennis and Brent Wall for the last couple of seasons. The Rainbow endded up in an Amusement park in Baton Rouge LA and I think the Kamikaze went to Mexico. Pugh shows bought the Crazy Dance who endded up selling it to Arnolds Amusements (I think) Larry Carr bought the Scooter 2700 and Cumberland Valley bought the Giant Wheel, Space Wheels, Calypso and Rotor rides. Magic Valley (tx) bought the 4 Hamptons.

I hope that helps
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
Saturday, March 30, 2013 5:58:44 PM
Originally Posted by: Dan L. 

WOW! A lot of pictures I have never seen. Thanks for sharing Scott.

That's only a small percentage Dan
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, March 30, 2013 6:53:45 PM
Originally Posted by: Scott 

That's only a small percentage Dan

I know scanning photos is a drag, but I hope you will post some more. [clap2]
zoo crew
Saturday, March 30, 2013 8:04:19 PM
bigjlh
Saturday, March 30, 2013 8:23:02 PM
if my memory serves me. they had some pieces on the midway at the south plains fair. with ledel. in 1997. the crazy dance.kid rides.there office trailer was there also. they moved from there to somewhere close to houston tx.it was 96 or 97.there was a huss pirate ship also.from the midwest area.zyclon. and some other big pieces. thnx bigjlh
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, March 30, 2013 9:16:03 PM
Great Pix!!
Thats me in front of the shop trailer. That pic was from Davenport 1974 & I had just returned from a purchasing trip!
I had my son take one in Tampa years later
https://www.facebook.com...9&type=3&theater 
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
Saturday, March 30, 2013 9:43:12 PM
Originally Posted by: bigjlh 

if my memory serves me. they had some pieces on the midway at the south plains fair. with ledel. in 1997. the crazy dance.kid rides.there office trailer was there also. they moved from there to somewhere close to houston tx.it was 96 or 97.there was a huss pirate ship also.from the midwest area.zyclon. and some other big pieces. thnx bigjlh

Yes they had the Brazoria County fair in Angelton which they jumped to from Lubbock.
IndianaTED
Saturday, March 30, 2013 9:53:18 PM
Thanks Scott for the info. Did they use the iconic front gates and light towers to the end?
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.