thunderbolt85
Friday, September 14, 2012 10:21:22 AM
With the great news of the Space Wheels being restored and hopefully on the road next year, has anyone heard anything about RAS old Calypso?

The last I heard (I think) that CVS had it, can anyone confirm that? Would be great to see that one back on the road as well. Matter of fact, they had several rides that I love to know what happened to

Latiga or Latigo (whip style ride with back panels)

Rotor
Fly O Plane (know this is a long shot)
Monorail (only portable one in history to my knowledge)
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, September 14, 2012 10:39:54 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

With the great news of the Space Wheels being restored and hopefully on the road next year, has anyone heard anything about RAS old Calypso?

The last I heard (I think) that CVS had it, can anyone confirm that? Would be great to see that one back on the road as well. Matter of fact, they had several rides that I love to know what happened to

Latiga or Latigo (whip style ride with back panels)

Rotor
Fly O Plane (know this is a long shot)
Monorail (only portable one in history to my knowledge)

The Calypso is at CVS WQ. I doubt any show would buy it. From all I've heard it's a "BEAST" to move. The ride action is to similar to a Scrambler and Gomer told me that the Calypso and Meteor were both dropped in 71 because of the difficulty moving them and having the same action as the scrambler, not to mention all the space it took up on the train.

I think CVS has the Rotor too. I doubt they would take it out eithr. Two trailer ride and as far as I know Jeremy doesn't have any dates that need a ride that size. Funtastic shows is the only show I know of that still moves one.

The Latigo was a indy ride and have no other info on it. I would assume it was not too popular since all Whips left the midway years ago and have not made a come back. ( All though Deggeller did try it with a modern version)

I think the Monorail was only used one year... but not sure about that or what happened to it.

Fly o Plane... IDK

I'll see Gomer next week and I'll ask him
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, September 14, 2012 11:55:47 AM
would be nice to see a calypso back out. big showy piece. rode the one at myrtle beach pavilion many times. wonder what happened to that one?
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, September 14, 2012 2:56:14 PM
Originally Posted by: britt 

would be nice to see a calypso back out. big showy piece. rode the one at myrtle beach pavilion many times. wonder what happened to that one?

The only shows I know of that ever carried one was RAS and Link in the early 90's. Even then I think it was only used a few select dates.

Conklin had one at the CND back in the 60's but I never knew of them moving it.

ringmaster
Friday, September 14, 2012 5:15:55 PM
Skywheelrider
Saturday, September 15, 2012 2:52:40 AM
Rotor is still at CVS WQ, along with A LOT of stuff. Saw it a few weeks ago while our LQ's were parked there. Got a few photos, but did not have time to really look around.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Keith
Sunday, September 16, 2012 12:51:39 AM
Originally Posted by: Scott 

Conklin had one at the CND back in the 60's but I never knew of them moving it.

Calypso and Sprung Schanze moved for one season on Western Canada Roadshow. IIRC 1978 or 79.

Calypso action similar to Crazy Dance.

Benjibear
Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:24:43 AM
Any hope that the Calypso could be rebuilt at least as a park ride?
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
JustinJames
Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:28:54 AM
There are two loads (tubs and van) of one sitting in an empty field in Ohio along route 53 just north of Tiffin.

Cedar Point still operates one but its stripped down to nothing sadly.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, September 16, 2012 10:44:02 AM
Originally Posted by: JustinJames 

There are two loads (tubs and van) of one sitting in an empty field in Ohio along route 53 just north of Tiffin.

Cedar Point still operates one but its stripped down to nothing sadly.

There aer several Caylpso's in parks. Besides theone at Ceder Point, there is one at GREAT AMERICA and norther Calafornia or at least there was.

jimb
  •  jimb
  • 52.34% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:02:12 PM
The one sitting in Ohio is formerly Link's. Rod bought from Boardwalk & Baseball i Florida.
thunderbolt85
Monday, September 17, 2012 7:45:39 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone! Maybe one day someone can buy it for park use, if its worth it. I know the MB Pavilion had one, but not sure of its location now.

Thanks again
jackpot59102
Monday, September 17, 2012 4:58:15 PM
When LeSourdsville Lake in Ohio closed a few years ago they still had a Calypso still operating. It was then sold & operated at Fun Spot Park in Angola Indiana. I believe that they are now closed.
thunderbolt85
Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:34:28 AM
Yeah, its a great ride, I rode the one at the beach and enjoyed it a lot. I have been on both a Huss Breakdance and a Flashdance and not really big on to much spinning, the Calypso was just right.
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:16:51 AM
I believe Fun Spots' is for sale - cheap. Floyd & Baxter had a Spanish copy of a Mack ride at Lake Winnepasauka in Georgia.