SHOWMEN'S MARKETPLACE - CLASSIFIED ADS

Click here to learn how YOU can advertise in the Showmen's Marketplace.

Home | News | Marketplace & Classifieds | Photo Galleries | Advertise | Contact Us
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Ted  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2011 10:35:55 PM(UTC)
Ted

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Here are some pics of some retro Otterbacher Ticket Boxes I built from scratch. I have wanted to build them for years but never knew the dimensions. I finally found a real one this summer to get the measurements from. They are 100% to scale! You dont see the one man boxes anymore and I vaguely remember them from my childhood.

I built a tandem-axle pup trailer for them as well. Completely from scratch other than the wheels. They rack very cool, side by side but one faces forward and one backwards because the shape of the boxes are almost like a triangle. The boom/hoist is on a post that is movable. The trailer also has a working pintle hook on the back!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Link to the webshots album
thanks 2 users thanked Ted for this useful post.
BeauceCarnavalMan on 1/2/2012(UTC), britt on 1/2/2012(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline Fabbri_Guy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2011 11:43:27 PM(UTC)
Fabbri_Guy

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Dam those are tight. I aint never seen them before. Uh, what formula or whatever do you use to convert the measurements? I wanna learn how.
Offline crazyspin  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2011 11:58:45 PM(UTC)
crazyspin

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Those look fantastic! I love the trailer. Very impressive! clap
Offline carnivalkits  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2012 12:54:38 AM(UTC)
carnivalkits

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Great work as usual! Did you use puff paint for the lights? I found some small Jewels at Michaels that they were running a clearance on. I can send you some if you think you might want to use them.

Fabri Guy do you have Excel on your computer. If so send me your email and I can send you a simple spreadsheet to crank the numbers for you.

Rich

Edited by user Sunday, January 1, 2012 12:58:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Skywheelrider  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2012 1:13:18 AM(UTC)
Skywheelrider

Was thanked: 342 time(s) in 273 post(s)
Those look fantastic Ted. Really nice. Outstanding detail, just like all of your work.

Fabbri, I, like most folks here I believe, work in HO scale. HO is 1/87 the size of the real thing, or as many model railroad building sites have said, about 1 inch is equal to about 7.5 feet in HO scale. So, for example, a 60 foot fun house front in HO scale would be eight inches wide.

On another note, looking at the first photo, how many shows had an SDC Pirate? Farrow, Cumberland Valley (which is at Lake Winnie now), and Wade still has their's. Just curious. Always liked the look and ride on those.

Edited by user Sunday, January 1, 2012 1:17:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Offline FNO Sean  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2012 6:25:52 AM(UTC)
FNO Sean

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 16 post(s)
First class quality my friend!
Offline AGS  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2012 9:04:16 PM(UTC)
AGS

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fabbri_Guy Go to Quoted Post
Dam those are tight. I aint never seen them before. Uh, what formula or whatever do you use to convert the measurements? I wanna learn how.

I use to(still do somewhat) do Model Trains - HO Scale - also known as 1:87th scale. I bought several years ago a "metal" scale ruler that has the scale footage for O Scale, HO Scale, S Scale, and N Scale. It is called: Model Railroad Reference Rule. I still use it now when I'm building HO Scale Carnival and Circus models. It comes in real handy if you're "not" good with Math.(like me. LOL) It is made of stainless steel and made in the USA. You can most likely still get one at any "Model/Hobby shop". (Not "Kaybee Toys" or "Toys r Us" type stores)

As for the Ticket Boxes - Great Work !! Love the detail on them. Like that trailer for them as well !! Keep up the great modeling !!

Edited by user Sunday, January 1, 2012 9:07:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Stuart Bros. Shows - HO Scale at: http://www.freewebs.com/ags2262/ and my New Flickr account for Carnival photos is at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ags2262/ .
Offline BeauceCarnavalMan  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2012 5:08:23 AM(UTC)
BeauceCarnavalMan

Canada

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 63 post(s)
wow those looks great
BeauceCarnavalMan
Offline crnvl  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2012 8:20:07 PM(UTC)
crnvl

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Great looking ticket boxes and trailer...love the detail on the trailer.
Offline SideWinder  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:06:26 AM(UTC)
SideWinder

United States

Was thanked: 144 time(s) in 113 post(s)
Sweet Job Ted, nice outcome....
Offline Ted  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 11:23:07 PM(UTC)
Ted

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Thanks for the words all! Lots of work in them (probably 30 hours+) no cutting corners...

As for scale I took the measurements from the actual trailer (Luehrs Ideal Rides) and actual ticket boxes (from Mr. Eds Magical Midways) in inches, this past summer. From there its pretty simple to scale into 1/87 (HO). I have 3 different HO scale rulers. The boxes are 54" wide in real life so that is 4.5 HO scale feet. An HO scale rulers is 87 feet, so the scale box is .6250 inches wide. Im a stickler to scale, "roughly" is not good enough for me, needs to be precise!
Offline Fabbri_Guy  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:20:29 AM(UTC)
Fabbri_Guy

Originally Posted by: Ted Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the words all! Lots of work in them (probably 30 hours+) no cutting corners...

As for scale I took the measurements from the actual trailer (Luehrs Ideal Rides) and actual ticket boxes (from Mr. Eds Magical Midways) in inches, this past summer. From there its pretty simple to scale into 1/87 (HO). I have 3 different HO scale rulers. The boxes are 54" wide in real life so that is 4.5 HO scale feet. An HO scale rulers is 87 feet, so the scale box is .6250 inches wide. Im a stickler to scale, "roughly" is not good enough for me, needs to be precise!

Whaaaaa? Huh? I didn't follow that. 54 inches... right? So 4.5 is hos feet? A ruler is 87 feet lenght? So the box is .6250. So its what 5 3/4? " That's it I'm going right now to pick me up those rulers. So in O scale those boxes would be what? 1.500 which is 1 1/2.
Offline carnivalkits  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:31:38 AM(UTC)
carnivalkits

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Fabri Guy, if you have the dimention in inches just divide by 87 to get the size in actual inches you need to make the part. If the actual measurement is in feet then multiply the feet by 12 to get inches then divide again by 87. To get the same measurements in O scale use 48 instead of 87.

Rich
Offline Fabbri_Guy  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:27:55 PM(UTC)
Fabbri_Guy

Originally Posted by: carnivalkits Go to Quoted Post
Fabri Guy, if you have the dimention in inches just divide by 87 to get the size in actual inches you need to make the part. If the actual measurement is in feet then multiply the feet by 12 to get inches then divide again by 87. To get the same measurements in O scale use 48 instead of 87.

Rich

Dammit! I should know this. I read prints at work, and work with decimals all damn day! Thanks everyone. I usually just eyeball my stuff, but the past few rides I been figuring them the correct way. Looks like ill have to do a new ride to try this * out!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed