引用:

quote:

Originally posted by jfrisoska

skywheel 2 1/2 hrs
enterprise 4 flat with the back wall
40X80 ground mounted scooter with 19 cars in 3 1/2
huss pirate huss rainbow and zyklon 24 hrs [8]

Now thats impressive.

Saw Spooky get the Pugh Sky Wheel down in Orchard Lake, MI. I think it was in 2 1/4 hours with a crew of 5.
WestCoastPat
Tuesday, October 14, 2003 6:31:13 PM
Lets see-most of the guys replying to this thread are ride jocks I figure and the number 1 rule is: Believe only half of what you hear (or something like that).
Still it has been a good discussion of something that us wannabees will probably never get to expierience. I think I watched
B&B set the record for the Chance Invertor. I watched them take that big poiece down and have it ready for the road in only about 7 or 8 hours with 2 men and 3 locals-that has to be a record for the slowest doesn't it? LOL

WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
24hr.man
Wednesday, October 15, 2003 4:25:16 AM
Century 21 Shows. Both units together, close at midnite, and by 7am. Its popcorn sacks and tire tracks. Only thing left on lot is the Zyklon and its almost half down. Ask any old timers and they will tell you C-21 was the nicest,cleanest,and fastest moving show on the road. Both units never blew a opening.
JustinJames
Wednesday, October 15, 2003 2:37:07 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by WestCoastPat

Lets see-most of the guys replying to this thread are ride jocks I figure and the number 1 rule is: Believe only half of what you hear (or something like that).
Still it has been a good discussion of something that us wannabees will probably never get to expierience. I think I watched
B&B set the record for the Chance Invertor. I watched them take that big poiece down and have it ready for the road in only about 7 or 8 hours with 2 men and 3 locals-that has to be a record for the slowest doesn't it? LOL

Anytime you wanna experience a jump with some rides. You let me know[;)]
JustinJames
Wednesday, October 15, 2003 4:36:42 PM
I can attest to certain things on this thread that I have seen with my own 2 eyes...

Spooky - YES
Gruelurks and his Wife - YES
Shuper - Don't know (but, I've seen John McDermit do it like that)
Tizim - YES
Opie - YES

I've also seen Cliff Lowe's crew move ALL there rides in under 4.

I remember the old Jimmy Danton crew moving the Zyklon, Rainbow and Pirat in quite good time to.

I've seen Jay Elliott lead the 3rd unit in a few hours down with the WHOLE unit.

There are some damn good people out there I tell ya that's for sure. I have been fortunate to learn from some of the best.
2ndgencarnie
Thursday, October 16, 2003 7:28:33 PM
BDCBBQ.... just curious, was the loop the only other ride on the midway. Because if you telling us that you could be everything but the loop up with that toboggan than there was either something really wrong with the rest of that show... or there was no other rides.. I think it a crok
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, October 16, 2003 7:56:04 PM
On the Toboggan set-up and tear down did you guys take the whole crew to get the biggest ride done first? Then do the others? Is that how you beat the rest of the show up and down? Just got to know....
bdcbbq
Friday, October 17, 2003 8:53:28 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by 2ndgencarnie

BDCBBQ.... just curious, was the loop the only other ride on the midway. Because if you telling us that you could be everything but the loop up with that toboggan than there was either something really wrong with the rest of that show... or there was no other rides.. I think it a crok

I was referring to tearing down in my comment about the Loop-O-Plane. Set up was a different ball game. I would beat most of the rides down.

When I ran the Toboggan during fair season I usually had about 4-5 regular extra help. They were experienced on the Toboggan and were paid by the job not by the hour. By that time of year I usually had at least 2 real experience regular help and 1-2 somewhat experienced. We could really move that ride. We would have 2-3 crews tearing down different parts of the ride at the same time. We also prepped by having all of the equipment and tools ready to go. Might have been a few pills used occasionally [:D] This is back in the latter 70's also.

Believe me. I also had my share of long teardowns and set ups also. Particularly in the the springtime.
Bruce
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, October 17, 2003 7:32:49 PM
What bbdbbq, the use of proformance inhancing drugs in the carnival biz? I don't belive it....lol
opie
  •  opie
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Friday, October 17, 2003 7:35:45 PM
thanks for backing me and the boys from pugh up justinjames, as for jeff shuper, he has to be the best damn giant wheel man on the planet. i'd work for him a whole season for free just to learn his skills. excellent showman and i'm glad to have gotten a chance to see him in action. I moved a small majestic scooter for tim merkel.
we were at the osceola county fair, and jerry yates was friends with jeff so he came in as a favor to slough the wheel. Now this wheel was the crown wheel and everyone can appreciate that it was beat up. i was hard at work on my bumper cars and really don't pay attention to other rides until i get to raising the walls. I was on top the ride and happened to look over and jeff had the towers coming down in what was about two hours. Man i had to take a breathe. I heard that he was good but now I knew it. He had a few guys over there about seven, not counting him. It was the most amazing thing I've ever saw in the business. Jerry yates and his game help and i tore down the century wheel in the blind 20 hours. So i have a real appreciation of what people do. Thanks for the show jeff. If you ever need a hand I'll be there. Opie
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, October 17, 2003 7:49:58 PM
I just figured out something...I was looking at the number of times this post was read it's like 820 or something and almost all the othersare in the 100-200 range then it occured to me that guys read this post to figure out what the word "SLOUGH" is. Since the majority or it seems like the majority of you are not in the business you probley never heard the word. Along with other words such as: Donicker, Jag, Tip, Yard,G-top and some other words I should not go into at this time...I'd probley get D.Q.'ed to revieling(sp) trade secrets...
jfrisoska
Saturday, October 18, 2003 6:05:00 AM
this might of been a time when me my brother (shag) and a few experanced people used to go help spookie move [8]
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by gruelurks

引用:

quote:

Originally posted by jfrisoska

skywheel 2 1/2 hrs
enterprise 4 flat with the back wall
40X80 ground mounted scooter with 19 cars in 3 1/2
huss pirate huss rainbow and zyklon 24 hrs [8]

Now thats impressive.

Saw Spooky get the Pugh Sky Wheel down in Orchard Lake, MI. I think it was in 2 1/4 hours with a crew of 5.

jaybyrd
jfrisoska
Saturday, October 18, 2003 6:06:26 AM
Bruce is this when joyce used to work with you ?[8]
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by bdcbbq

引用:

quote:

Originally posted by 2ndgencarnie

I was referring to tearing down in my comment about the Loop-O-Plane. Set up was a different ball game. I would beat most of the rides down.

When I ran the Toboggan during fair season I usually had about 4-5 regular extra help. They were experienced on the Toboggan and were paid by the job not by the hour. By that time of year I usually had at least 2 real experience regular help and 1-2 somewhat experienced. We could really move that ride. We would have 2-3 crews tearing down different parts of the ride at the same time. We also prepped by having all of the equipment and tools ready to go. Might have been a few pills used occasionally [:D] This is back in the latter 70's also.

Believe me. I also had my share of long teardowns and set ups also. Particularly in the the springtime.

jaybyrd
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, October 18, 2003 6:15:34 AM
with-it
You address this list like you just discovered your * and you want to tell us all about it because you have the only one and you just found that out the "First of May".
UserPostedImage