Steve F.
  •  Steve F.
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Wednesday, April 30, 2003 3:59:43 PM
On the way home from WPU today I saw a poorly placed sign on the side of the road on Rt. 10 west that advertised the following:

CARNIVAL

St. Mary's Church, Dover, NJ

May 7 - 11, 2003

Midway by Amusements of America

I went out of the way to ride by the site just to be sure it was the same church. The same signs were there and thats when I saw the provider will be AofA. I haven't been to this carnival in ~10 years and I was a bit surprised to see that its going to be AofA. The carnival provider is usually a lesser carnival such as McDanial Brothers, Valley Amusements, or Campys. So this should be interesting.... I plan to visit on a Monday (2 days before) to get some racked ride/set up photos.

If your wondering where St. Mary's is I can tell you that its on Rt. 46 inbetween the Ex Dover General Hospital (I believe the St. Clair's hospital chain owns it now and runs it as an emergency room/nursing home) and the Mine Hill fire station. If your in the area its worth a go unfortunatly, I can tell you from experience that parking is rough.
mjcarniegirl
Saturday, May 3, 2003 8:24:05 PM
Actually that carnival is located in Wharton, NJ on Blackwell ST. That will be Phils unit going in there and they have been going there for the past 4 yrs !! And yes parking can be a problem as the church has a small parking lot . I plan on going there myself during the weekend
Steve F.
  •  Steve F.
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Monday, May 5, 2003 3:38:35 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by mjcarniegirl

Actually that carnival is located in Wharton, NJ on Blackwell ST. That will be Phils unit going in there and they have been going there for the past 4 yrs !! And yes parking can be a problem as the church has a small parking lot . I plan on going there myself during the weekend

I'm sure your correct, I don't know all of the town names in that area, I just know the old Dover General is down the street. I also haven't been paying attention to fairs in general since ~1995 so that explains why I didn't know that they've had the gig for a while.

Is Phil the clean cut guy with the crew cut? I was there today twice (on the way to WPU and on the way back).

I saw the following racked attractions:

Larson Superloops "Ring of Fire" (w/ some cracked/missing turbolites)
Chance "Pharos Phury"
Chance "Century Wheel"
Majestic "Music Express"
Majestic "Scooter" (not sure which model)
Sellner "Tilt-a-whirl"
???? "Thriller" w/ new paint job (new for me, the last time I saw it was 95)
???? "Glass House"
Wisdom "Raiders"
Zamperla "High Flyer"
Zamperla "Family Swinger" (kiddy wave swinger)
2 Food concessions w/ oversized title signs that fold up.
???? "Super Slide"
Moser kiddy drop tower ride

I'm very happy to see the Superloops as I'm in the process of making one in HO. The man I spoke to said they would be setting it up Tuesday at 9:00am. A bit early~!!!! If I get some school work done tonight I'll roll over and check it out.

FYI: beware of the dead end streets in that neighborhood. I had to do some dodgy manuvors to get out of a dead end last week.[;)]
mjcarniegirl
Tuesday, May 6, 2003 10:46:15 AM
Phil is kinda short & stocky looking with grey hair. the clean cut man with a crew cut you saw could have been the lot man or someone who works for phil. I worked for phil for several yrs and plan on going there myself during the weekend i hope it doesn't rain . did you take any pics?
Steve F.
  •  Steve F.
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Tuesday, May 6, 2003 4:36:53 PM
Quote:

quote:

Phil is kinda short & stocky looking with grey hair. the clean cut man with a crew cut you saw could have been the lot man or someone who works for phil.

That might have been the person I saw then, a lot person.

I worked for phil for several yrs and plan on going there myself during the weekend i hope it doesn't rain . did you take any pics?

I doubt I'll there this weekend, I'm probably going to the shore. However yes, I have been taking lots of photos (nearly a whole roll of film). My primary goal was to get detailed photos of the Superloops and some concession fronts. The sun hasn't been very kind to my camera so far this week. Hopfully Wednesday will be bright so I can get some good photos for decal reproduction. That glass house looks interesting, very old, but interesting.
mjcarniegirl
Tuesday, May 6, 2003 9:46:42 PM
If that is the same glass house that was there last yr yes it's pretty old . did you notice if it had a ugly looking clown doll dancing in the front?
Steve F.
  •  Steve F.
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Tuesday, May 6, 2003 11:07:22 PM
Quote:

quote:

If that is the same glass house that was there last yr yes it's pretty old . did you notice if it had a ugly looking clown doll dancing in the front?

Yes it sure did have a dancing clown figure. I didn't get a good look at it so I thought maybe it could be a PTC "Laughing Sal"(?)

EDIT:
No its deffinetly not a Laughing Sal but much like Sal it is ugly. I scored 3 sectional shots of the front today so I could possibly make on in HO. However, silly me forgot to take a photo of the back. [V]