indianacarnie
Tuesday, December 8, 2020 9:07:49 AM
This is kind of a companion topic to my earlier one about "Favorite shows". Pretty much just for those of us who are with it but I guess it can be applied to some of our enthusiast friends too.

My favorite spot is a small county fair in Indiana. Knox County Fair in Bicknell. Its not huge by any standard, hell its not even very big. Bicknell the town is dying too and I've watched its decline with sadness. A few of the reasons its my "favorite" fair.... its billed as the oldest county fair in Indiana and things like that really "grab" me anymore. Pretty sure it started in 1801 but my memory just isn't the same as it used to be. Think they took a few years off during WWII but that's a hell of a run for ANY fair in my opinion. Good people, decent money. Very affordable too both for the patrons and for us. Great food lol.

The spot I've played more than any other is South Florida Fair by many orders of magnitude and is a very very close second for my "favorite". Have NEVER not made decent to great money there and hey, its in January and a great way to kick off your season. Guess I've played it 25+ times. Only , or main reason I guess, its not top of my list is the people. West Palm Floridians can be quite.... unpleasant at times.

Least favorite spot of mine is a matter of degree I guess. I'll not count the literally thousands of parking lots and still dates I've endured. (though not all of them were terrible by any means) It's a tie but for different reasons. The Red River Valley Fair in Fargo North Dakota and the Oklahoma State Fair in OKC. Fargo because I have never, not once, played it without serious rain/flooding and combined with the small numbers of people its just a ...... trial to work. OKC may not be as obvious to some but for jointees my reasons for its appearance on my list will have you nodding your heads in agreement. It's just too damn big and too damn long. You only really make serious money (as a jointee, remember?) on a few of the many many midways. Combine the seriously long hours with the length of the Fair and the crap shoot of locations and to ME it's just not worth it and something to be dreaded on your route. I refuse to work it anymore tbh. Now, I know many jointees look forward to working it but not this guy.

Those are my picks for most and least favorites, what's yours?
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
Pizzagod
Tuesday, December 8, 2020 9:58:46 AM
There was a festival in Farmington, MI. that used to be dynamite-played that for fifteen years, drove home every night, and a great kick off to the summer.

Greater Baton Rouge State Fair was a favorite of mine for years, short hours and good atmosphere-at least until it wasn't.

Alabama State Fair at the old fairgrounds. Scary as hell, and I minted money there with a popper.

Least favorites?

West Palm. Probably because I had the poppers on the midway and Gregory was a nightmare.

Tulsa-played it once, the health department was like that scene in Cool Hand Luke. "Dig a hole Luke" "Is that your dirt Luke?" "Put that dirt in the hole Luke" "Is that your dirt in the bosses hole Luke?" OH MY GOD....thirty five years ago and still a nightmare.

How about Tyler Texas, good money and ten million yellowjackets?

Speaking of insects, Burlington Steamboat Days. Every other year the Mayflies took over the festival grounds, to the point that people would clear them with snow shovels and front loaders.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
ridejocky
Tuesday, December 8, 2020 4:54:15 PM
Favorite would have to be the Barnum Festival at Seaside Park in Bridgeport CT with the Broward when it was at Gulfstream Park a close second.

Least favorite would be Sears Plaza in Compton, CA.
Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, December 9, 2020 9:25:38 AM
I guess my favorite right now would be the NC Mtn State Fair, beautiful setting, midway and grounds. They have really done a great job with the grounds and Drew always does a terrific job in there, hoping one day when it's good for him and the fair that he can bring a coaster.

Least favorite? Not going to name it, but it's a small fair here in SC with so much potential but the midway is always light (and I guess with good reason) and the grounds just are not being taken good care of, went one year and bathrooms were terrible with blood all over sinks. But again, there is a lot of potential there if someone get's a hold of it.

Just my opinions.
ridejocky
Thursday, December 10, 2020 6:55:18 AM
Always liked Elmira & Harrington too...
Ride the Zipper?
JustinJames
Friday, December 11, 2020 10:41:19 AM
Not sure if I have favorites or not. But the most enjoyable fair I have played in recent history would have to be Raleigh. I brought two rides in (Himalaya & Air Flyer) and we had a strong run. Maybe it was the fact that instead of the usual 30 rides, I only had to worry about 2 for the spot... Not sure. But we had a good time. It was enjoyable to see people I grew up around seeing me "all grown up" as it was said. 😂

My least favorites were Minnesota and Texas state fairs. While they are impressive events, the independent midway deal simply has too many egos and to much in the way of midway politics for my taste. Just my thoughts though.
ridejocky
Saturday, December 19, 2020 6:03:13 AM
I always liked Raleigh, good money and nice people.

Do they still have the jam-auction? I used to love watching that....

Ride the Zipper?