thunderbolt85
Sunday, September 6, 2020 8:58:57 AM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

The Monster was a great ride but it was a pretty big PITA for what it won, and I don't think it ever looked that great, and with a little more work it could hav
The control system that came with the ride from the park were "hydronic" using master and slave cylinders. These were foolishly reconfigured with quick-couples and never really worked right and required bleeding every few hours such that there was always oil, tools and buckets around the control which was right up front. The controls were ultimately replaced with SG outboard motor controls which didn't really work much better, but at least they didn't leak or require bleeding. The controls always made it tricky to operate.

It was a great ride, just poorly executed. Then of course Broward.

You know I remember walking by it in Anderson back then and seeing some type of "throttle" or shifter and thought it looked out of place. Sure did look good at night with all the yellow lights and next to the YoYo with all its yellow lights, looked cool.
thunderbolt85
Sunday, September 6, 2020 9:01:28 AM
You know I don't know why more shows didn't invest in a Polyp (European model), that one I saw booked on with Deggeller drew a crowd, but it wasn't running right at the time. Matter of fact saw it the same year I first saw a Music Fest, that was a suitcase midway for sure, but it was loaded with a lot of great rides, everything the Amor Express, to the Music Fest, Viking Ship, Polyp, Toboggan, and lots of major rides that year.

However, one stop load and a nice looking spectacular, not sure if it was two or three loads, did see a picture of center load once with sweeps, but never saw the tub load.
ridejocky
Sunday, September 6, 2020 11:37:09 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

...that spot in NY right before Erie.

Elmira? I loved that spot.
Ride the Zipper?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, September 6, 2020 11:08:14 PM
Strates had Wheelock's Spider booked in at Elmira in 2012 & 2013 and Main Event Amusements Spider in 2017.
Wheelock's might have been there a couple other years when I was not there.
thunderbolt85
Tuesday, September 8, 2020 10:34:44 AM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

Elmira? I loved that spot.

No, didn't know that spot, I am thinking of the one Coleman brothers had for a while, and Strates has it now, they just truck in a midway, no train, train moves to Hamburg while they are playing this spot. Sorry my mind is just not what it used to be.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, September 8, 2020 12:38:32 PM
Chemung County Fair in Horseheads just north of Elmira. Ran the week before Hamburg. Strates had it from '67-'91. Coleman from '92-2003 and Strates got it back in 2004. Strates train went there thru '91.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, September 10, 2020 8:22:04 AM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Chemung County Fair in Horseheads just north of Elmira. Ran the week before Hamburg. Strates had it from '67-'91. Coleman from '92-2003 and Strates got it back in 2004. Strates train went there thru '91.

That's the one
ridejocky
Thursday, September 10, 2020 9:05:24 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

That's the one

Horseheads Girls....

Ride the Zipper?