• 56.96% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Friday, September 4, 2020 9:51:28 AM
Astro85
  •  Astro85
  • 56.96% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Friday, September 4, 2020 9:56:45 AM
I agree with you. Music rides always look better with the tops. I always kinda thought that was the purpose of a music ride, to have those tops with lights, tunnels. But I get shows trying to lighten the load.
thunderbolt85
Friday, September 4, 2020 10:44:43 AM
Originally Posted by: Astro85 

I agree with you. Music rides always look better with the tops. I always kinda thought that was the purpose of a music ride, to have those tops with lights, tunnels. But I get shows trying to lighten the load.

Yeah, think its more about the tear down/set up and number of loads these days.

I know help was still an issue back in the 70s and 80s, but still there was more of it back then, and specially green help. For most spots we always had guys coming out wanting to work on set up or tear down, but I don't think that is the case as much now.

I haven't done it in a while, but as lazy as a lot of the younger folks are today, would not be surprised. Sadly, to many want to lay around, take drugs, and play video games or be on some cell phone rather than getting out there and working a little, and of course our government is not helping with so many hand outs.

Don't get me wrong, I think we should always help someone who is down to a point, but too many have learned how to use gov. hand outs as a regular source of income now.
Astro85
  •  Astro85
  • 56.96% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Friday, September 4, 2020 12:07:05 PM
Astro85
  •  Astro85
  • 56.96% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Friday, September 4, 2020 12:09:31 PM
I do like the idea of a space themed Thunderbolt. That could be very cool. Could paint it black, blue and purple. Cover the back. Could be very Space Mountain -ish.
thunderbolt85
Friday, September 4, 2020 4:13:45 PM
Originally Posted by: IndianaTED 

I always thought it would be cool to theme a Thunderbolt as a space-themed ride to totally distance this piece away from a Bobs theme. Obviously the scenery panels would all be in space scenes; planets, stars, space ships, maybe aliens?, just anything space related. But my biggest feature would be that all the tubs would be painted in florescent colors and at night when the ride is in full speed motion, the lights could all be turned off and black lights would be on giving it all a glow in the dark look. I even have the name for it...Satelite Flite.

Just has been my idea for awhile, and if this ever comes to a midway near you, you know who's idea it was!

That would be really cool IndianaTED and unique. I hope I see it one day!

I know this is different, but always thought the Space Roller should be themed "The Sky Scraper" since when it's running it looks like it is scrapping the sky, I don't know kinda silly I guess but all in fun.
ridejocky
Friday, September 4, 2020 11:13:11 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

He had a nice Spider before that didn't he, seems like I remember some pictures of one with orange tubs.

Yeah, he had nice Spider, nothing special. The Monster was something of a goat-fu*k from the get.

Ride the Zipper?
ridejocky
Friday, September 4, 2020 11:31:07 PM
You could lighten the loads, but your not getting a bobs on two trailers, unless it is a huge trailer. Center & sweeps is a load, tubs are a load. Once you get the tubs and platforms on a bobs, the work is pretty much done. I could see dropping the canvas, but the center scenery is pretty easy to hang and takes little room to rack.

Hard to go with a canvas over the sweeps like a himi as you need a boom to hang the sweeps, and it would be a nightmare to keep it clean given how greasy a bobs center is.

I always wanted to see a Swiss Bob rethemed as a subway train and instead of the mannequins being skiers I would have gangsters and hookers...

Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Saturday, September 5, 2020 8:49:27 AM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

You could lighten the loads, but your not getting a bobs on two trailers, unless it is a huge trailer. Center & sweeps is a load, tubs are a load. Once you get the tubs and platforms on a bobs, the work is pretty much done. I could see dropping the canvas, but the center scenery is pretty easy to hang and takes little room to rack.

Hard to go with a canvas over the sweeps like a himi as you need a boom to hang the sweeps, and it would be a nightmare to keep it clean given how greasy a bobs center is.

I always wanted to see a Swiss Bob rethemed as a subway train and instead of the mannequins being skiers I would have gangsters and hookers...

LOL, that would have been an interesting Swiss Bobs indeed, maybe name it the "Queen/Bronx Express"?

thunderbolt85
Saturday, September 5, 2020 8:50:30 AM

Yeah, he had nice Spider, nothing special. The Monster was something of a goat-fu*k from the get.

Interesting, do tell about the Monster if you can.
ridejocky
Saturday, September 5, 2020 8:25:48 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

Interesting, do tell about the Monster if you can.

The Monster was a great ride but it was a pretty big PITA for what it won, and I don't think it ever looked that great, and with a little more work it could hav
The control system that came with the ride from the park were "hydronic" using master and slave cylinders. These were foolishly reconfigured with quick-couples and never really worked right and required bleeding every few hours such that there was always oil, tools and buckets around the control which was right up front. The controls were ultimately replaced with SG outboard motor controls which didn't really work much better, but at least they didn't leak or require bleeding. The controls always made it tricky to operate.

It was a great ride, just poorly executed. Then of course Broward.

Ride the Zipper?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, September 5, 2020 8:56:32 PM
Strates got the Spider in 1970 and had it until they got the Monster in 1984.
ridejocky
Saturday, September 5, 2020 11:36:13 PM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Strates got the Spider in 1970 and had it until they got the Monster in 1984.

Didn't he have them both for a while?

Did they bring the Spider back out after the Monster?

Ride the Zipper?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, September 6, 2020 12:13:44 AM
Didn't see the Spider and Monster at the same time in NY at least.
They booked a spider a couple times more recently.
thunderbolt85
Sunday, September 6, 2020 8:57:28 AM

Didn't he have them both for a while?

Did they bring the Spider back out after the Monster?

I don't think that Spider came back out after the Monster, first time I every saw a Spider booked in again was a few years ago up that spot in NY right before Erie. Of course, he may have booked one and I just didn't see it before then.

Just strange I guess seeing those pictures of the tub load at WQ at the auction and knowing they have been sitting there since they tore them down and parked it in 88. I guess the insurance company or someone got the center/sweep load.