thunderbolt85
Friday, June 19, 2020 11:36:20 AM
so since its slow in the business, and we have most likely discussed every nut, bolt, and pin of the carnival business, I thought this one we might not have done.

Over the years, when you have made jumps what has been some of your favorite stops along the way to grab a breakfast or good meal, I mean really great meals that you remember or even still stop in when on the road.

Even if you don't travel, maybe some diners you like close to to a fairground, or that you like to eat at after going to the fair, or along those lines.

For me, now my best friend and a mentor we really did love stopping at Waffle House's along the route for breakfast on the jump, he knew were they all were LOL.

But we played a few small towns with some really great diners, no way I can remember all the names but remember some of the towns.

In Branchville SC they had a train festival we played, a diner right there on main street was out of this world, with the best county ham and even a tomato slice with everything else.

North Carolina had some great diners as well with great home cooking in Waynesville, Brevard, Hendersonville, Monroe.

Although Waffle House was good, I always loved those Mom and Pop diners along the way, most were always friendly and good food.

What about you all?
bigjlh
Friday, June 19, 2020 4:50:29 PM
Thunderbolt,one that comes too mind is a truck stop in emporia va.had the best hamburgers and fries that I have tasted.right off 95.always made a point too stop there.cant remember name of business but if you ever ate there you would remember.heard a while back they were still in business.ok then thnx.also thunderbolt glad that you keep this forum going on!!!!with your input.
JustinJames
Friday, June 19, 2020 6:33:41 PM
Beef Mastor Inn - Wilson, NC
Parker's BBQ - Wilson, NC
Mancy's Steakhouse - Toledo, OH
Shogun Steakhouse - Venice, FL
Flaming Grill - Sterling Heights, MI
ridejocky
Friday, June 19, 2020 9:40:03 PM
On the road: State Street Diner in Bridgeport and the Raceway Diner in Yonkers

In WQ: Tino's in downtown Orlando for breakfast and Old Dixie Chicken on 527 in Pinecastle for lunch and Quincey's on 441 for dinner...
Ride the Zipper?
Pizzagod
Friday, June 19, 2020 10:25:33 PM
Iowa Machine Shed comes to mind, and of course the Tennessean truck stop on I-65.

Forget this year-but for the last few years, who's had the time to stop and eat? It's been strictly carry out and eat in the truck for the last ten years for me.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
thunderbolt85
Monday, June 22, 2020 7:54:13 AM
Also for North Carolina, if you get a chance to stop at one the Sage Brush, steaks are out of this world especially the Sirloin Tips.
IndianaTED
Monday, June 22, 2020 10:39:12 AM
Ironically, here in my little hometown in western Indiana, we have a bar/restaurant called the Alabama. It is located on our main street, but the side street is Alabama street, hence the name. During our local fest back in the day, Johnny's United Shows, later All-American Shows were Alabama based Shows. I always heard that many of the carnival folk spent what time they could at the Alabama. I can attest to the good food.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
thunderbolt85
Monday, June 22, 2020 11:08:34 AM
Back in the 70s there was a 76 truckstop/restaurant right off I-85 close to the fairgrounds, when we were headed to church on Sunday morning after the fair would see rides parked in there having breakfast before heading north on 85 to either Greensboro or Richmond I figure back then.

I ate there once, food was pretty good and service as well. Remember seeing the Witches Castle parked in there, just funny things you remember.
ridejocky
Monday, June 22, 2020 11:24:56 AM
For drinking, Stone's in Harrington Delaware and the California Rock In Syracuse come to mind...

For sandwiches, Seaside Market in Bridgeport was great.

Pig sandwich from Tony's Ox and Pig Roast at Erie County

Ham and Cheese Bagels from any of the Amish joints at York

Ice Cream from the Upstate Milk joint at Syracuse

Free cigarettes from the R. J. Reynolds joint at Winston...

Girls at Elmira

Ride the Zipper?