thunderbolt85
Thursday, May 28, 2020 8:30:18 AM
Sad to read that Hamburg and York were cancelled for this year, with Vermont also cancelled I figure Strates will not even go north this year.

Sadly I have a bad feeling more shows are not going north this year and maybe not leave WQ at all, I am ready for this season to be over already.

Really sad.

There is one flip side to this that might happen next year. If all the events get back open and it normal operations these events might even have bigger crowds due to the fact that so many will have missed them this year. But that remains to be seen until next year I guess.
rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, May 28, 2020 11:10:06 AM

I was thinking the same thing that next year there may be record attendances with good weather and new attractions. Everyone will no doubt be ready for concerts again. This is the time to be thinking outside the box and take advantage of people being eager to get back out and enjoy themselves. With our state being as rural as it is the small town folks will surely show up. We used to have a Kansas City and St. Louis day at the fair with events like golden glove boxing and one year wrestling. I know times have changed but there are many things missed about the fair with people from my era and people are not staying as long as they used to. If this year cancels hopefully those funds can be used to supplement next years for a bigger and better event.
RodB
thunderbolt85
Thursday, May 28, 2020 4:28:15 PM
Yeah I was kinda hoping some shows would come up here to ole SC to just play some still dates and make a little money, would be great to see that again, but I figure they might not even want to roll out of WQ.
Pizzagod
Thursday, May 28, 2020 5:03:43 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

There is one flip side to this that might happen next year. If all the events get back open and it normal operations these events might even have bigger crowds due to the fact that so many will have missed them this year. But that remains to be seen until next year I guess.

What I'm wondering about is the county fairs (my meat) near the big ones. Like Waukesha, West Bend and Cedarburg all within 50 miles of Milwaukee for instance. If they aren't cancelled will they have record years?

For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
william davis
Thursday, May 28, 2020 7:16:03 PM
I guess we can add another big one to the list - Wisconsin just announced they were cancelling.
thunderbolt85
Friday, May 29, 2020 8:58:11 AM
That's a good, could be shows go out and play the small events and make money. Wouldn't that be something.

Pizzagod
Monday, June 1, 2020 9:14:20 PM
Question answered. Waukesha and West Bend have cancelled 2020 fairs.
thunderbolt85
Tuesday, June 2, 2020 7:56:45 AM
Hate to hear...…..i am really wondering if anyone is going to open this year. Maybe not jus the fairs, again, maybe the carnivals don't want to risk all the expense of running out for a few spots.

Just sad indeed.
william davis
Wednesday, June 3, 2020 6:25:05 PM
The Oakland County Fair (Michigan)- a Big Rock spot - just cancelled for this year. There are now 25 county fairs in Michigan that have cancelled.
ridejocky
Wednesday, June 3, 2020 10:46:42 PM
Originally Posted by: william davis 

The Oakland County Fair (Michigan)- a Big Rock spot - just cancelled for this year. There are now 25 county fairs in Michigan that have cancelled.

Hey, you're not the Bill Davis that used to move the Skyride on Strates are you?
Ride the Zipper?
william davis
Wednesday, June 3, 2020 11:01:11 PM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

Hey, you're not the Bill Davis that used to move the Skyride on Strates are you?

No - my family had concessions for many years - mostly in Michigan
JustinJames
Wednesday, June 3, 2020 11:32:32 PM
Originally Posted by: william davis 

Every event we play in MI is done.
william davis
Thursday, June 4, 2020 7:05:42 AM
Originally Posted by: JustinJames 

Sad.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, June 4, 2020 8:12:50 AM
Originally Posted by: JustinJames 

Yep, hate to hear that for you guys. Hang in there. If you go out on any still dates, come over here to Upstate SC, really growing population here and top notch carnival in the right location would do well, amusements are opening back up here as well.
Pizzagod
Thursday, June 4, 2020 10:45:41 PM
Change title to Three Big Ones. Indy just cancelled. Watching for Iowa next.