IndianaTED
Thursday, April 16, 2020 11:13:11 AM
I'm not into conspiracies or wanting to talk politics...but I do think some of the information we have been getting is not accurate.

I keep hearing that this is worse than the flu because the death rate with flu is around 1-2%. They are saying that COVID-19 is around 4-6%, but they know how many have died, but have no idea how many have had it, so that skews the numbers
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
olediggerguy
Thursday, April 16, 2020 11:37:24 PM
olediggerguy, I think you are spot on!

I'm pretty sure that when the "lockdowns" are eased, that large gatherings of people will still not be allowed until a vaccine or remedy is developed, which by experts accounts, won't be this year.

Sporting events are talking about trying to restart without fans in the stands, and that's their best case scenario. So I'm afraid the carnivals are going to have to try to survive until 2021.

I hope I'm wrong.

Who the hell could have ever imagined the world could be so fundamentally changed in ONE GODDAMNED MONTH!!!
I live in NY,and am in the epicenter of this mess....Thankfully I am 2.5 hours out on the end of the Island and am in a less populated area.
EVERYONE knows someone who has it or has DIED.
My very serious and unnerving feeling is that ...ALL OF US...citizens,business'...and our ENTIRE country has one task ....SURVIVE 2020...
My heart breaks for all the hardworking people in this truly AMERICAN industry. And I don't want to sound all doomesday......but please...for your own future....please start understanding that a 2020 carnival season is most likely not going to happen....
God bless you all....and I wish you all GODSPEED.....
thunderbolt85
Friday, April 17, 2020 8:42:09 AM
olediggerguy, I want to say I am truly sorry for all that you all have gone thru up there, I hope things improve soon for sure.

But for me I just don't think we should just give up on 2020, we need to get the economy going again full force, and this business as well. Also folks that live/work in vacation spots really only have the summer to earn that money, amusement parks and such, or its going to be a really tough winter for them (economically).

I agree some areas like NY and maybe in California or a few others may be very slow to return to normal, but let's keep the hope up that the rest of the nation can return to normal.

Here where I live, they are opening the lakes/boat ramps back up and the gov. said he would be opening other things back up soon as things improve.

Let's just keep our hopes up, if shows aren't back on the road by mid summer I may begin to agree no fair season, but that will be really sad if so.

I have been watching and listening to a lot of doctors that are saying different things out there about all this.

Anyway stay safe.
olediggerguy
Friday, April 17, 2020 10:39:19 AM
Thanks for the kind words T-BOLT..
I appreciate them...

I couldn't agree with you more...the country needs to somehow get back open...and get people working again...we have to...to SURVIVE....
My only point on this conversation is to try and get people in the industry is to consider....that ain't happening anytime soon....and if it does, it's going to be a VERY LEAN year...at best.....
GOOD LUCK to all.....
thunderbolt85
Saturday, April 18, 2020 8:02:29 AM
Yep, agree no matter what if there is a season I think it will be "lean" as well.
Dave
  •  Dave
  • 53.24% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Saturday, April 18, 2020 3:43:02 PM
There is also the narrative that keep the old people safe by locking them up in their suites. A 87 year old sits by themselves for days on end. Thats not living. There are no easy wins but all arguments need to be heard debate and resolved. We gotta get back to work soon
thunderbolt85
Monday, April 27, 2020 8:15:47 AM
Well things here in SC are starting to open back up, the beaches, lakes and boat docks, restaurants with sit down eating, even the movies, hair salons and such.

People want to get back to normal.

thunderbolt85
Friday, May 22, 2020 7:40:38 AM
So the Ohio state fair decided to cancel 2020, doesn't bode well for the carnival business and personally I think this is a premature decision. These committee's are not going to feel real great if by the time the fairs roll around everything in the country is moving along well.

Of course I get as well that if things are still not going good, then couldn't have it anyway. I wonder how much of this is carnival related, are shows just even afraid to leave WQ because they are figuring that there will not be enough people at these events to support being there?

Not a good time indeed for show business.
ridejocky
Friday, May 22, 2020 10:43:51 AM
No skin of their asses, they still get their money.
Ride the Zipper?
IndianaTED
Friday, May 22, 2020 10:54:19 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

So the Ohio state fair decided to cancel 2020, doesn't bode well for the carnival business and personally I think this is a premature decision. These committee's are not going to feel real great if by the time the fairs roll around everything in the country is moving along well.

Of course I get as well that if things are still not going good, then couldn't have it anyway. I wonder how much of this is carnival related, are shows just even afraid to leave WQ because they are figuring that there will not be enough people at these events to support being there?

Not a good time indeed for show business.

With this news about Ohio, I'm expecting Indiana to do the same thing any day now.

I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.