Dave
  •  Dave
  • 53.24% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Thursday, April 23, 2020 8:05:26 PM
https://www.huffingtonpo...d=tweetlnkcahpmg00000002 

That likely means no Winnipeg Edmotnton Regina Saskatoon. Toronto and London are doubtful as Ontario Covid is in worse shape than Alberta. This would be the first time since WW2 that these events didnt occur. Name will need a big fall in the USA to make up for this hit. Covid sucks was looking forward to seeing that Big Wheel
Pizzagod
Friday, April 24, 2020 12:46:30 PM
Originally Posted by: Dave 

Name will need a big fall in the USA to make up for this hit.

Since you mention it... I would look for Indy to be questionable, as well as Columbia. Mobile isn't big but it's solid, and the management there is monitoring everything closely (and the health dept. down there swings a big stick). Little Rock? Big E? Jackson?

For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
thunderbolt85
Monday, April 27, 2020 11:03:37 AM
Seems they are jumping the gun on cancelling the event.

Hate it for NAME, as far as I know the SC state fair is still on for October. My real concern is for any shows that were just "making it" each year, if they lose a lot of spots this year...or all of them this might put them out of business.

Hopefully that will not happen. But all this has got me to thinking about H2B, I submit the question, are we too dependent on this program in the carnival (and really all seasonal fun business)business.

I mean if they sent all those workers home, what's the chance of them coming back this year, and in time to make a difference if they could come back?

Pizzagod
Monday, April 27, 2020 8:20:49 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

But all this has got me to thinking about H2B, I submit the question, are we too dependent on this program in the carnival (and really all seasonal fun business)business.

I mean if they sent all those workers home, what's the chance of them coming back this year, and in time to make a difference if they could come back?

I don't know if the industry is too dependent on H2B but everybody I know has given up on finding Americans who want to work. It's not even a question of money, It's just nearly impossible to move a decent size show relying on American help anymore. I was talking to one show owner who said she was sending 4-6 a week packing for Meth. Meth! Remember when pot was a problem? Maybe some Coke? Meth now. Who wants to invest millions and have the business rep relying on that?

I never felt that the South Africans and the Mexicans were taking American jobs. Americans didn't want them. I don't disagree with you one bit, but given using H2B or not working, which would you choose?

Dave
  •  Dave
  • 53.24% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Monday, April 27, 2020 9:39:12 PM
These kids dont know what they are missing. The travel is amazing and sleeping on the concrete builds character.
ridejocky
Tuesday, April 28, 2020 10:49:13 AM
Originally Posted by: Dave 

These kids dont know what they are missing. The travel is amazing and sleeping on the concrete builds character.

Wow, you guys got concrete?

Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Thursday, April 30, 2020 10:34:19 AM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

Wow, you guys got concrete?

We had tents or a nice ride trailer back then at least. LOL

But that's what I am talking about, maybe we need to find new ways to attract at least good workers that want to travel. That might be higher pay and/or better living conditions, maybe 401k or other benefits.

But I do agree with you Pizza, better to keep the show going with the H2B than have crack heads or nothing.

I don't know, of course I don't have all the answers but just thinking at loud about different options.
JustinJames
Thursday, April 30, 2020 3:36:20 PM
I would rather retire than deal with strictly American help anymore.

The stories I could tell on the subject.....
Pizzagod
Thursday, April 30, 2020 3:46:04 PM
Originally Posted by: JustinJames 

I would rather retire than deal with strictly American help anymore.

The stories I could tell on the subject.....

I'd lay money that given that you'd rather have a crew from South of the Border than South Africans too.

I wasn't born into this, and I admire anybody who can run a show these days.

JustinJames
Thursday, April 30, 2020 8:29:21 PM
Originally Posted by: Pizzagod 

I'd lay money that given that you'd rather have a crew from South of the Border than South Africans too.

I wasn't born into this, and I admire anybody who can run a show these days.

Yes. The amigos (for the most part) are here to work and support family back home. The SA's (for the most part) wanna party, bang the American girls and treat it like a paid holiday. Not all on either side, but seems the general consensus. Keeping in mind, any show has unique headaches with unique circumstances. Our show is not immune to your average bs. But we rule with more of an iron fist than many. Lots of zero tolerance policies that seem to weed out the bad seeds at all levels and backrounds.
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, May 1, 2020 2:44:55 PM
Hey Justin, If you weed out the bad seeds what are you doing there?
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, May 1, 2020 2:45:47 PM
Unless you qualify as a full grown plant?