IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, April 16, 2020 10:24:37 AM
I was looking at some vintage pics of rides from the 70s and 80s and saw some of the rides had canvas coverings on their tubs.

It reminded me of a Show I was very familiar with in the 80s that always covered all their ride tubs with these. Then one year, they just suddenly stopped doing that altogether.

So I was just curious...why did this used to be a thing? and why don't Shows so it anymore? or was there a good reason for doing it to begin with?

Just looking for conversational topics in this void.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, April 16, 2020 11:04:31 AM
As far as I can remember, it was about keeping the tubs in good shape and clean, sorta like the canvas drop down on MGR's. Some others might have more information, we really didn't do on our show back then.

But I do remember another interesting thing, when they "parked" certain rides for overnight. Example would be the Roll O Plane parked at midpoint, or a Zipper. Saw Deggeller's Huss/Weber 1001 Nights parked/closed for the night all the way at the top, looked funny just sitting there in the air.
IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, April 16, 2020 11:08:30 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

As far as I can remember, it was about keeping the tubs in good shape and clean, sorta like the canvas drop down on MGR's. Some others might have more information, we really didn't do on our show back then.

But I do remember another interesting thing, when they "parked" certain rides for overnight. Example would be the Roll O Plane parked at midpoint, or a Zipper. Saw Deggeller's Huss/Weber 1001 Nights parked/closed for the night all the way at the top, looked funny just sitting there in the air.

Yeah, and I also remember the top three or four seats being taken off Ferris Wheels too.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, April 16, 2020 11:48:48 AM
Originally Posted by: IndianaTED 

Yeah, and I also remember the top three or four seats being taken off Ferris Wheels too.

Yep, and the Sky Wheel as well.
ridejocky
Thursday, April 16, 2020 5:47:49 PM
Strates' bobs used to have covers. They really protect the tubs from being damaged when setting up and tearing down. WE put them on every night primarily to keep track of the covers, and it looked cool.
Ride the Zipper?