Dave
  •  Dave
  • 53.24% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Tuesday, March 10, 2020 7:23:39 PM
Lets hope this Corona blows away in the up coming warmer weather, its very possible. I am worried for my carnival friends that need a big summer to make ends meet.
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, March 11, 2020 7:01:51 AM
Yeah, I was thinking a lot about that as well yesterday, it would very tough for some shows to survive if they lost the fair season, or most of the spring/summer.

Some could survive, but let's hope it doesn't get that far and that yes when it warms up things clear up.

Biggest thing is keeping folks from panic, yes be careful, wash your hands, etc., but lets not panic.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, March 12, 2020 7:09:24 AM
Boy, the Houston Rodeo cancelled, that's big, and I understand why and wanting to keep people safe, but this is going to hurt a lot of folks as well in the pocketbook.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone sick or catching this, but I also have been reading that we shouldn't panic. But I am no expert on the subject, I just hope this clears up before we get deep into the carnival season, this could make or break some shows if they lose a season.

Thoughts?
bigjlh
Thursday, March 12, 2020 8:18:47 AM
The houston rodeo is a big spot,a bad scene for sure,but the Miami-Dade youth fair is a go.hope a handle can be put on it.to shudder a spot like houston is disaster.at this point it seems bad best of luck to the affected.ok then thanks bigjlh seen people at a texas Walmart shopping with gloves on also bathroom tissue seemed to be a commodity bad scene 4 sure
justme
Thursday, March 12, 2020 3:25:01 PM
https://www.fairexpo.com/ 

Miami Dade is NOT opening. posted on website earlier today.

also cancelling church spots in south Florida
bigjlh
Thursday, March 12, 2020 4:16:35 PM
These shows have not been out of the barn long and get slammed with this virus spread.well it's just a really scary situation.hope for a quick rebound on it,a lot equitment has been layed down and the waterfall effect from it will take a lot to recover.best of luck to all affected.hope it ends quickly ok then thanks bigjlh
indianacarnie
Friday, March 13, 2020 9:14:04 AM
Well, the V.A. is taking this seriously indeed. Had bloodwork done yesterday for my Dr's appointment next week. All entrances closed but one. Only way in or out and they were screening everyone. Thank goodness that the professionals are taking this seriously. The VA healthcare system is whats keeping me alive and ..... somewhat spry lol. They get a lot of grief in certain circles but the VA has never been anything but respectful and caring to me. Excellent care too btw. I'm old and have preexisting conditions so am happy to see them taking this as seriously as they are.

As I've been contemplating going out for one last season/hurrah I've been following this closely indeed. I am going to wait a bit longer because of this before I start looking for a hole.
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, March 22, 2020 12:17:41 PM

I wonder with the loss of income how the summer fairs will be affected?

RodB
thunderbolt85
Monday, March 23, 2020 7:37:31 AM
yeah makes you wonder about H2B help this year, will shows send some rides to the barn to cut expenses, this may change the whole ball game.....at least for the 2020 season.

Sad though, cheapest gas in years and shows can really take advantage of it.
Grbjnt
  •  Grbjnt
  • 55.82% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, March 29, 2020 1:19:34 PM
Originally Posted by: indianacarnie 

Well, the V.A. is taking this seriously indeed. Had bloodwork done yesterday for my Dr's appointment next week. All entrances closed but one. Only way in or out and they were screening everyone. Thank goodness that the professionals are taking this seriously. The VA healthcare system is whats keeping me alive and ..... somewhat spry lol. They get a lot of grief in certain circles but the VA has never been anything but respectful and caring to me. Excellent care too btw. I'm old and have preexisting conditions so am happy to see them taking this as seriously as they are.

As I've been contemplating going out for one last season/hurrah I've been following this closely indeed. I am going to wait a bit longer because of this before I start looking for a hole.

Went to the V.A. in Tampa for my CT scan and they checked us at the door went back in later and no visitors so wife couldn't go in this time.

Herb
rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, April 6, 2020 11:09:16 AM

Just thinking when this is all over how people will react to being back out in public. Will there be larger crowds at fairs and festivals because of being inside so long, or will people shy away from crowded places for awhile? Especially with talk that the virus could become active again this fall.
RodB
olediggerguy
Monday, April 6, 2020 11:39:31 AM
I've been out of it for decades...but try to stay up on whats current in the business.
This whole mess we are in is a GAME CHANGER for our society...everyone..including those in the carnival business.
I would love to believe that when we start returning to some version of "normal" ...life will return to what we were familiar with. Sadly, I cant believe this to be true.People are going to be wary of crowds for a long,long time, let alone letting their kids get on rides. And sadly, this is what this business is built on. If(and that is a huge IF) any shows get back out on the road this year, it's going to be a season of survival. Scaled down operations with everyone trying to keep expenses as low as possible.
I would advise all of you hard working people to prepare as if 2020 will be completely cancelled....and start to think what you will need to do to keep yourselves moving forward.
Good luck to you all....and God bless .......
william davis
Monday, April 6, 2020 6:59:06 PM
Sadly I think you are right. If this continues thru July will any of the big Michigan based shows who winter in Florida (Wade, Big Rock, Arnold) make it up to Michigan this summer?? On a normal year they are up here in April or May thru Labor Day. All have many big events here (Wade - Livonia Spree and many others), Big Rock (Oakland County Fair, Armada) and Arnold plays the new Michigan State fair Labor Day weekend before heading back south.
IndianaTED
Thursday, April 16, 2020 10:53:16 AM
olediggerguy, I think you are spot on!

I'm pretty sure that when the "lockdowns" are eased, that large gatherings of people will still not be allowed until a vaccine or remedy is developed, which by experts accounts, won't be this year.

Sporting events are talking about trying to restart without fans in the stands, and that's their best case scenario. So I'm afraid the carnivals are going to have to try to survive until 2021.

I hope I'm wrong.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, April 16, 2020 10:58:21 AM
Yeah, but people are getting tired of this now and want to get back to normal, I think you are going to see people pushing more on their elected leaders to let things get back to normal and let things happen as they happen.

I read an article from a doctor in Israel that says the cycle has shown that it only really lasts about 40 days and that the lockdowns are out of hand and over the top.

I understand some are sick, and sadly some have died, but starting to wonder about this being more "political" than really about keeping people safe. Something just is right with all of this.