thunderbolt85
Thursday, December 5, 2019 12:14:15 PM
Ok, so the article out front says that there will be a new midway provider for 2020, not trying to solicit thoughts as to who it might be, don't want to speculate as we will find out soon hopefully.

However would like to know some facts about the fair if anyone can help. What is the attendance like? Is it a good ride spot? How many rides did NAME take in there? Any thoughts from anyone about the fair (not who may have the contract) who has gone to the fair, or played it with a concession or something.

I know CVS used to have it years ago before the merger and from what I remember they took a strong midway in there. I think also they sit right next to an amusement park don't they and they work together during the fair?
Jackpotter
Thursday, December 5, 2019 2:02:59 PM
Total Attendance is usually in the upper 500,000s and sometimes tops 600,000. The last several years NAME'S All Star unit has had the contract. Paradise Amusements of Florida has booked in several pieces the last few years as well. Around 40-45 rides. I believe the RFP that was bid out required a 45 ride minimum.

I don't know the ride gross, but I once had a well known independent operator who I believe is now with a show to tell me while there a few years back that it was a "hidden jewel" and that he had been pleasantly surprised despite always being told it was not a good spot.

The Fair Board does lease land to the amusement park. However, it is no longer "part of the Fair itself". There were times years ago that the park would have free admission and take midway ride tickets for its rides during the Fair, then there were times the park was actually closed during the Fair...then the park itself closed for a period of about 3 years or so...and since re-opening they've charged separate admission to the park during the Fair. I believe there is an ongoing dispute in regards to parking availability for the park during the Fair as well, but that could have been resolved.

Before NAME, CVS had the spot for over 20 years and they really had a nice spread on the midway. Before CVS it was Ed Gregory with United Shows America and before Gregory it was Johnny's United Shows. I believe before Johnny's United Shows it was a Deggeller Magic Midway spot and years ago Olson Shows had the contract if memory serves me correctly.

As far as Fairs go, it is a bit unique in that the KY Expo Center has 1.2 million square feet of contiguous indoor exhibit space and it's all air conditioned. All exhibits and livestock are under that one roof. They also hold the World's Championship Horse Show for Saddlebred's during the Fair in Freedom Hall, which is the former home of the Louisville Cardinals basketball team. They do have some free acts outside and a decent amount of independent concessions and a couple of big beer tents with live music. They stopped doing paid concerts in Freedom Hall a few years back and now have an 11 night free concert series.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, December 5, 2019 3:48:23 PM
Wow, some great information thanks for posting!
Matt C.
Thursday, December 5, 2019 5:52:28 PM
Official announcement will come soon... we were asked by the show to wait until the fair makes an official release.

2019 attendance: 589,170 , down 4.1% from last year
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
thunderbolt85
Friday, December 6, 2019 6:56:12 AM
Thanks Matt, yep looking forward to seeing who it is.
rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Friday, December 6, 2019 4:37:34 PM

Can we at least do a poll and see who most are thinking? This is all very interesting. [arab]
RodB
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, December 6, 2019 7:13:15 PM
Originally Posted by: rodler 

Can we at least do a poll and see who most are thinking? This is all very interesting. [arab]

Do not think this one would be listed.

thunderbolt85
Monday, December 9, 2019 7:03:23 AM
Originally Posted by: britt 

Do not think this one would be listed.

Yeah, we better stay away from the polls as well, don't want to mess anything up.

Keep watching the KSF FB page.
indianacarnie
Saturday, January 11, 2020 2:39:31 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

Ok, so the article out front says that there will be a new midway provider for 2020, not trying to solicit thoughts as to who it might be, don't want to speculate as we will find out soon hopefully.

However would like to know some facts about the fair if anyone can help. What is the attendance like? Is it a good ride spot? How many rides did NAME take in there? Any thoughts from anyone about the fair (not who may have the contract) who has gone to the fair, or played it with a concession or something.

I know CVS used to have it years ago before the merger and from what I remember they took a strong midway in there. I think also they sit right next to an amusement park don't they and they work together during the fair?

Well, I know this is a bit late and has pretty much been covered but my 2 cents worth. Louisville is a ...O.K. fair. I've worked it multiple times and winter in the Louisville area. It seems to run in a cycle a bit... one great year then a o.k. year.... great year , terrible year. Its VERY weather dependent. The amusement park next door , and I mean its RIGHT THERE (Kentucky Kingdom) does hurt the Fair to an extent. When the Fair board and the management of K.K. are fighting it … hurts. I've always worked the Fair as a jointee so no idea on ride grosses etc. Worked it with United, CVS and more recently NAME. I made the most money when NAME had it for whatever that's worth. They moved the Fair part either last year or the year before to be more in front of/adjacent to Freedom Hall. Didn't go or work since they moved it but can only think it didn't work out if NAME is giving it up. Its a solid mid-level Fair in my opinion. Can be VERY good but as stated is more cyclic than any other major fair I've ever played. No idea why , just stating what I see from experience. If you're thinking of working it, you could do worse by a long shot.
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
Pizzagod
Monday, January 20, 2020 8:52:16 AM
Kissel? I NEVER would have guessed that one. Good for KSF. I think this is an inspired move.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
thunderbolt85
Monday, January 20, 2020 12:13:56 PM
I had thought about them but they weren't in my top 5 possible companies. However really glad they got it, really nice show with great classics.
JustinJames
Monday, January 20, 2020 6:37:53 PM
Further proof that being one of the biggest isn't always the same as being one of the best. Quantity and quality do not always go hand in hand. Kissel has one of the cleanest and flashiest midways I've seen in recent years. They certainly deserve such a big event.

They will be a force to reckon with in the coming years.
rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, January 20, 2020 7:42:26 PM
Originally Posted by: JustinJames 

Further proof that being one of the biggest isn't always the same as being one of the best. Quantity and quality do not always go hand in hand. Kissel has one of the cleanest and flashiest midways I've seen in recent years. They certainly deserve such a big event.

They will be a force to reckon with in the coming years.

Reed Exposition was also one of those shows like your talking about when they played our state fair years ago.
RodB
JustinJames
Tuesday, January 21, 2020 4:43:19 PM
Originally Posted by: rodler 

Reed Exposition was also one of those shows like your talking about when they played our state fair years ago.

As far as I've been made to understand, they are done.
rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, January 21, 2020 7:26:56 PM
Originally Posted by: JustinJames 

As far as I've been made to understand, they are done.

Yeah, there was a story on this site about them going into a different business and Crabtree being awarded the North Dakota State Fair. I believe they were peaking during the years they were here with the shocker, double shock in their lineup. There was even a sound system on the wisdom tornado. I compare the Murphy midways to a neighborhood block party. I remember people dancing in front of the rides because of all the music. We would not leave until closing which was about 12:30 or 1 a.m.
RodB