SHOWMEN'S MARKETPLACE - CLASSIFIED ADS

Click here to learn how YOU can advertise in the Showmen's Marketplace.

Home | News | Marketplace & Classifieds | Photo Galleries | Advertise | Contact Us
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline thunderbolt85  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2019 1:05:16 PM(UTC)
thunderbolt85

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 257 time(s) in 214 post(s)
So I wanted to have this discussion with you all to get both sides of the picture. This is purely discussion and not a real ride and most likely would never be, but still interesting to discuss.

I have often thought of how a portable monorail could fit into the picture of a show (or independent) as a great family ride. We have the chair lifts and other great family rides, but have always been partial to a Monorail.

So here is what I thought out and please give me your thoughts both good and why it might not work. I do know RAS had one for a while, but mine is a little different.

Portable Monorail

1. One mile of track that could go around the midway and out into parking lot to be viewed by folks going by on the roads.
2. Train: Three 53' trailer loads each with one section of train already sitting on track below car, each section can carry 20 riders, open air (or climate controlled).
3. For the station, the tub loads would be lined up, connected and then raised up via hydraulics to height of track. Once secure, then platforms, stairs, and canvas top would be built up for the station.
4. Since this ride would most likely be only used at biggest spots possible (for the show or the independent) agreement would have to be made to have cement bases built at the location for each tower that holds the track and the station would need to be in the same location every time. Each footing though could be smaller and less expensive say than the ones for the chairlifts.
5. Train would have name of show or fair on side for advertising.

Loads (possible)

3 loads for train
1 load for track towers (think "I" beam type)
2 loads for track
1 load for station/etc.

**both tower and track loads loaded like coaster track/jackstands.

60 riders per cycle at say 3 tickets per person (family ride) with tickets at a $1. Figure it would take about 15 minutes to load, run the course, then unload, so making about $720 an hour. Good state fair with 10 busy hours gives you $7200 for the day.

Now, the train might could hold more depending on design say up to 30 folks per train car then connected together to form the one train.

Crew of 4, two (one in front, one in rear) on the train, one at station near tracks, one at gate.

Would only need small crane or knuckle boom type crain for set-up (no more than a coaster needs).

Of course the crew size and amount of loads could be changed around depending on design, weight, and such. Basically if this was about right the loads would not be much more than a coaster or some of these newer Giant wheels and might possibly be as "productive" as a flashy family ride. The only draw back would be setting concrete footers at your locations, but I think that would be the safest way (unless someone has better plan).

So again, just a fun discussion, but with some shows owning a chairlift with footers put down I thought this might be a real possibility, but what are your thoughts?
Sponsor
Offline ridejocky  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2019 2:02:44 PM(UTC)
ridejocky

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 110 post(s)
Hate to rain on your parade, but a mile of track on two trailers and the towers on one? At 50' spacing between towers, that's over 100 track sections, towers & bases.

Assuming it's electric, that over 500 heavy jumpers to tie the track sections together.

At least 800 big bolts to be torqued and wired

And it wins less money than a decent sleigh ride...

If I remember correctly, States' Sky Ride was on three (maybe four) trailers, *required no concrete footings, and won twice as much money.

*Couple spots had footings, but not most. Just staked it down. It was actually pretty easy to up and down, but for those f'n stakes...

Ride the Zipper?
Offline thunderbolt85  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 12:15:04 PM(UTC)
thunderbolt85

Was thanked: 257 time(s) in 214 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ridejocky Go to Quoted Post
Hate to rain on your parade, but a mile of track on two trailers and the towers on one? At 50' spacing between towers, that's over 100 track sections, towers & bases.

Assuming it's electric, that over 500 heavy jumpers to tie the track sections together.

At least 800 big bolts to be torqued and wired

And it wins less money than a decent sleigh ride...

If I remember correctly, States' Sky Ride was on three (maybe four) trailers, *required no concrete footings, and won twice as much money.

*Couple spots had footings, but not most. Just staked it down. It was actually pretty easy to up and down, but for those f'n stakes...

No no, you are not raining on the parade, this is a fun discussion. Of course like I said this would never be an option, but just liked talking through the logistics and "would if".

Ok so maybe some more loads for the track/towers, still if you could keep it under 12 loads and maybe with 30 people per car (so full load at 90) maybe a better profit option.

The mile is a thought, could be shorter as well if needed, I think Carowinds was about a mile at the time they had it, not sure about Disney.

Yes lots of bolts, so again would only be used at best spots but I figure maybe at least 10-12 spots a year.

I know with Strates Sky ride he had underground anchors there in Anderson, and the one we had on our show we had to always put cement anchors in the ground for ours. We buried them a few feet under ground level and just dug em back up the next year. Our Sky Ride was two loads/three towers and not quite as high as the Strates model, which was three loads (tub load and two end loads). But ours could gin some money as well, good family ride.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed