rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, October 6, 2019 8:34:21 AM

How does everyone feel about fairs that book their own midways? The fairs that seem to do it seem to love it and I don`t know of a case where one has switched back after changing to that concept. What are the pros and cons for the carnivals and the fairs due to this trend?
RodB
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, October 6, 2019 10:10:26 PM
Western fair in London, Ontario, Canada had an independent midway for years. fair even owned their own Zyklon coaster. A few years ago they contracted with NAME to play their fair which runs after Labor Day. NAME plays it right after the CNE in Tornonto, then moves south to Tulsa, OK.
So, there is an example of a fair that went from Indy back to a show.
JustinJames
Monday, October 7, 2019 12:09:11 AM
Tampa was an Indy midway. Wade now holds the contract. The midway is quite impressive now a days. That is one fair I never cared for as an independent midway.
thunderbolt85
Monday, October 7, 2019 6:50:31 AM
I think it's good in some cases, it also helps keep guys with one or two rides busy. I am not a big fan of them, I like to see shows get the midways but times are changing.
rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
Monday, October 7, 2019 10:30:15 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

I think it's good in some cases, it also helps keep guys with one or two rides busy. I am not a big fan of them, I like to see shows get the midways but times are changing.

I`m just really surprised Iowa went independent. I thought for sure one of the big shows would have ended up in Des Moines.
RodB
thunderbolt85
Monday, October 7, 2019 12:38:15 PM
Originally Posted by: rodler 

I`m just really surprised Iowa went independent. I thought for sure one of the big shows would have ended up in Des Moines.

Yeah, I did too, kinda sad there is no Sky Wheel there now after so many years.
Tornado
Monday, October 7, 2019 4:54:50 PM
Did not a few big shows made a play for it as a non-indy midway to replace Bell City?
Carnivalbuff
Monday, October 7, 2019 5:16:48 PM
Rodler,

Can you explain exactly what you mean by this? With some of the responses now; I think I know what you are meaning; but I want to make sure.
rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
Monday, October 7, 2019 6:04:32 PM
Originally Posted by: Carnivalbuff 

Rodler,

Can you explain exactly what you mean by this? With some of the responses now; I think I know what you are meaning; but I want to make sure.

I just thought once Wade brought the big rides to Missouri like the fighter, RC48, & whitewater that Iowa would take notice and want a show that moved rides like that. Never would have guessed they would go the independent route. I felt that way because one of the managers there used to work Missouri.
RodB
BeauceCarnavalMan
Tuesday, November 5, 2019 12:30:59 AM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Western fair in London, Ontario, Canada had an independent midway for years. fair even owned their own Zyklon coaster. A few years ago they contracted with NAME to play their fair which runs after Labor Day. NAME plays it right after the CNE in Tornonto, then moves south to Tulsa, OK.
So, there is an example of a fair that went from Indy back to a show.

In the last 10 years or so of it being Independent. Beauce Carnaval brought most of the rides and games. Followed by Campbells Amusements. Followed by Carter Shows, Astro , World's Finest Shows and Gus Dimaz. Magical Midways, Gable Bros. Hollander also brought games. Back in the Conklin days they would book in a piece or two that did not go to the Big E. along with some of the independent food and game joints on Conklin would go. I remember Bob Space Racers owner would send some of his games on Conklin to London.
BeauceCarnavalMan