Tornado
  •  Tornado
  • 91.54% (Exalted)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, October 3, 2019 1:28:21 PM

Since the Amusements of America topic and conversation has been good and interesting I'm starting one for Reithoffer.
Show has been around for over a century and has a history of big iron and unique rides:

Sorrini and Moser Flip "N" Out
Reverchon Roc "N" Rapids Flume
Mack See Strum Bahn
Huss Enterprise
Chance Turbo
Sky Diver
Sky Wheel
possibly a Bayurn Curve (like A of A's Swiss Bobs) - Not sure on this
Chance Sea Dragon
Super Round-Up (not 100% on this either?)

wvscott
Thursday, October 3, 2019 1:44:07 PM
bigjlh
Thursday, October 3, 2019 2:09:13 PM
thunderbolt,i remember they had a piece called over the falls,swiss bob action,tubs were like train cars,fountain in the middle,did not know of the mfg.but ride action simalar to kurve or swiss bobs to me it seemed the bayern kurve,swiss bob evolved from it,the spot was bridgeport conn.circa 1969 or 70 pretty impressive piece ok then thanx big jlh
bigjlh
Thursday, October 3, 2019 2:17:53 PM
they also had a rainbow on there route at one time.show owned iirc.they were a trendsetter buying and moving quickly i might add the big european iron.ok then thanx bigjlh
Tornado
  •  Tornado
  • 91.54% (Exalted)
Thursday, October 3, 2019 3:32:42 PM
Originally Posted by: wvscott 

Mack Rapenbahn

They still have this, though was themed Super Cat for a while and then re-furbished and now themed Arctic Blast...
Looks great...
Tornado
  •  Tornado
  • 91.54% (Exalted)
Thursday, October 3, 2019 3:36:20 PM
Originally Posted by: bigjlh 

they also had a rainbow on there route at one time.show owned iirc.they were a trendsetter buying and moving quickly i might add the big european iron.ok then thanx bigjlh

Yes, how could I forget the Huss Rainbow...
really liked the feeling the ride gave :-)
Believe they actually had 2 for a while??
Tornado
  •  Tornado
  • 91.54% (Exalted)
Thursday, October 3, 2019 3:41:58 PM

The big multi-trailer dark ride. Bates Hotel, may have been called something else prior and or after that name??
olediggerguy
Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:21:20 PM
Who knows how many rides they have owned over the decades.....maybe thousands...

The old man had no sentimentality on his rides...once they stopped producing..(sucking up tickets in those days) he had no problem selling it..trading it...or parking it. He also had a BIGG ego...loved to have what he called..."exclusives" being the first in the country to have a new piece.

They only owned one RAINBOW...I was on the lot the first time it was set up in Queens NY..probably spring of 1983.. A BIGG..beautiful piece.

I was always surprised they never owned a WAVE SWINGER...a true signature piece.. built in GERMANY..which the old man also loved..
IMO still the prettiest ride on the road.

JW
  •  JW
  • 56.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:47:50 PM
Originally Posted by: Tornado 

The big multi-trailer dark ride. Bates Hotel, may have been called something else prior and or after that name??

I believe Bate's Hotel was the original name...

Lost World
Nightmare on Elm St. theme
some type of Jurassic theme (?)
"Don't forget to be half fair and give a little credit to the small concessionaire"
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:50:21 PM
Reithoffer did have a Super Round Up in the 70's. Saw it several times. Traveled on 2 trailers one for center and a flatbed with the cages.
Had the first Huss Flipper in US too, 1989 called Tornado.

Two Flitzer style coasters too, at least one of which is still in use.
thunderbolt85
Friday, October 4, 2019 6:54:36 AM
Originally Posted by: bigjlh 

thunderbolt,i remember they had a piece called over the falls,swiss bob action,tubs were like train cars,fountain in the middle,did not know of the mfg.but ride action simalar to kurve or swiss bobs to me it seemed the bayern kurve,swiss bob evolved from it,the spot was bridgeport conn.circa 1969 or 70 pretty impressive piece ok then thanx big jlh

Hey bigjlh

The one I remember with the fountain was the Mack See Strum Bahn, but you might know of another one they had before that that I missed. I bet it was impressive, they have always had great stuff.
thunderbolt85
Friday, October 4, 2019 7:08:15 AM
Great topic, yeah Reithoffer has had and still has some great stuff. I am not sure they had 2 Rainbow's but I know at least the one.

Saw his Diver here back in 85, really nice looking with orange/white but had a terrible oil leak.

I loved that he liked keeping some good old classics for a good while like the Twister, Cobra, Scat, 2 Tip Tops, Hurricane, Scramblers and such. He had that Scrambler in the tent as well with the light show.

He booked a good many rides too as needed, remember seeing some booked in pieces at the Piedmont Interstate Fair like a Sea Ray one year.

Remember the Bates Hotel as well, really sharp piece with theming on the back.

I often wondered about the Wave Swinger as well and why they went with YoYo's, which are good rides. One ride I don't ever remember seeing either was a Spider type ride, did they ever own one?

Interesting note, Reithoffer's Rainbow is in Austin TX at Wonderland Park along with Conklin's Drop of Fear, and I think their Himalaya may have been Reithoffer's green unit Himi, but not sure of that. You can visit their website and see the ride and map view. They have a Huss Pirate as well, not sure where that one came from.
thunderbolt85
Friday, October 4, 2019 7:10:12 AM
Originally Posted by: olediggerguy 

Who knows how many rides they have owned over the decades.....maybe thousands...

The old man had no sentimentality on his rides...once they stopped producing..(sucking up tickets in those days) he had no problem selling it..trading it...or parking it. He also had a BIGG ego...loved to have what he called..."exclusives" being the first in the country to have a new piece.

They only owned one RAINBOW...I was on the lot the first time it was set up in Queens NY..probably spring of 1983.. A BIGG..beautiful piece.

I was always surprised they never owned a WAVE SWINGER...a true signature piece.. built in GERMANY..which the old man also loved..
IMO still the prettiest ride on the road.

Still would love to know what rides they lost down in South America that year. I know they got back a Sea Dragon, one the Flitzer's I think, and some others, but some they left down there.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, October 4, 2019 9:51:00 PM
The Enterprise and a Fury were down there, weren't they.
olediggerguy
Saturday, October 5, 2019 2:44:04 PM
when was the South American incident??
I don't remember them going down there...
I remember in the (maybe) late 70's...Murphy got jammed up in Venezuela..with alot of equipment sitting on the docks for months on end....

Is this the same incident???