wvscott
  •  wvscott
  • 63.5% (Friendly)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, August 26, 2019 9:00:39 AM
when I was younger in the 70"s it seemed most major rides all had there own ticket box. They were not one piece like today's, they folded up in several pieces and traveled with the ride. Does anyone else remember these?
Carnivalbuff
Monday, August 26, 2019 10:18:50 AM
Yes sir, I sure do. From what I remember they were just wooden fold up boxes, with no top and they had a 2" x 8" for the bench or seat.
thunderbolt85
Tuesday, August 27, 2019 7:13:40 AM
I remember them as well, although a distant memory now.

I can remember Deggeller Magic Midway carrying one box on the back of a Sky Wheel trailer, it didn't fold up, but was just racked back there.

Bit off topic, but I remember the wooden boxes for electrical used on midways back then as well.

As a kid loved to play "carnival" in the backyard with what I had. One item I had was a wooden box with a lid about the same size and I would run hoses and stuff into trying to mimic a midway
ridejocky
Tuesday, August 27, 2019 10:29:56 AM
I don't remember them without a top, but I remember the plywood fold-ups, hinges with R-keys holding them together.

I'm pretty sure Chance made some nice fiberglass ticket boxes that came apart and racked with the ride.

I also remember the old "apple-stick" junction boxes...
Ride the Zipper?
wvscott
  •  wvscott
  • 63.5% (Friendly)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:47:21 PM
I just saw that there was a great older thread on here in 2004 about this topic, but I dont know how to link it to this one

click here 

Pizzagod
Wednesday, August 28, 2019 1:07:49 PM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

I also remember the old "apple-stick" junction boxes...

Hey, when I was young and knew even less but had a popper, that was the only reason the show electrician would talk to me...

For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, August 29, 2019 7:04:58 AM
Originally Posted by: Pizzagod 

Hey, when I was young and knew even less but had a popper, that was the only reason the show electrician would talk to me...

They sure liked coming around on that second to last night to pick up that "cut-in".
IndianaTED
Thursday, August 29, 2019 10:33:29 AM
I remember them well. and each box seemed to be themed to have a look that fit with the ride itself. though I also remember generic looking ones too. the first time I saw a centralized ticket booth was in about 1974 or 75 on Johnny's United Shows midway. At first, rides were different prices, so you had to buy an A, B, C, or D ticket according to the ride list and corresponding ticket.

I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.