thunderbolt85
Thursday, June 27, 2019 6:53:08 AM
Thought we might could discuss the fair there in Meadowlands, history, neat rides, shows and things that have been there.

For me I have never been but I remember reading about it in the early days in AB and Carnival Mag. I remember different shows having the contract like Wade, Strates, and AofA. Not sure if anyone else had it, but of course now we have big A and Strates providing the midway.

I believe Wade set up his log flume for the first time there didn't he? Did Reithoffer ever play it?

Maybe someone on here can tell us more about the different shows in there, or independents that have brought in different equipment.

What good stories do you all have?
Tornado
Thursday, June 27, 2019 4:20:26 PM
I know it started in 1986. My first time there was 1990 when i moved to NJ from VT.
Originally I believe it was BIG-A (could be wrong) and lots of stuff from CVS as well. Back then is was much BIGGER than it is now (80 to 90 plus rides as compared to 65 to 70 now). They used a lot more foot print (parking lot space) back then! Big-A had all/most of there BIG stuff back then there: (Mack Music Express, Mack Discoteck, Swiss Bobs, Hully Gully, Looping Start looping coaster, and Huss Rainbow to name some....) CVS was playing with Conklin at the Westchester County Fair at Yonkers raceway back then and had some of those ride in with Big-A.

Wade had it for 1 year in 1996. And yes, that is where he took delivery of his White Water Flume (now gone from the show) and I watched them remove if from the shipping containers and set it up for hours. Wade had 2 of their 3 units there. Wished they would have done more then 1 year...

Believe Strates had it for 2, may be 3 years. Forget the years they had it. Had all the Huss pieces (Enterprise, Pirate, Rainbow and Top Spin) plus the Sky Diver, Sky Wheel and a coaster and flume too....

I know over the years Reithoffer has had pieces in there several times. The last time was several years back and the Huss Tornado was there.

I also remember one year Blue Grass Shows had there Soreni and Moser Extacy there. Was new back then and looked great. The back Drop was integrated into the tub load trailer.

Others i recall seeing there were a Chance Falling Star and a Double Shock. Big-A's Looping Star single loop coaster. And the Space Wheels... Yes, the Space Wheels played there one year with Big-A. Was the year of one of the World Cup Scoccer events that took place there and the midway was moved to the back parking lots.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, June 27, 2019 4:45:13 PM
Didn't Reithoffer play it the first year?
I went on '88 when A of A was there with some CVS stuff.
Strates had it from '97-2000. Reithoffer booked in a few years back and Strates went to North Brunswick for 1 year then they switched back.
I also went in 2000. Strates had A of A's looping zyklon and a few other pieces booked in.
Tornado
Friday, June 28, 2019 9:11:31 AM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Didn't Reithoffer play it the first year?
I went on '88 when A of A was there with some CVS stuff.
Strates had it from '97-2000. Reithoffer booked in a few years back and Strates went to North Brunswick for 1 year then they switched back.
I also went in 2000. Strates had A of A's looping zyklon and a few other pieces booked in.

Bill Reithoffer could have that is why I put could be wrong as i only knew Big-A from when I went in 1990. Would have loved to see what Reithoffer put in there if they did have it...

Always some BIG IRON in there...
swooper
Friday, June 28, 2019 10:34:59 AM
Here is what i believe to be what happened
something went wrong at the last minute in talks with Reithoffer
A of A was asked but they were already booked

A of A contracted Arco shows to play it
A of A sent in a few rides and someone brought a webber 1001 nights

there was also a Rampage booked in
Tornado
Friday, June 28, 2019 11:31:39 AM
Originally Posted by: swooper 

Here is what i believe to be what happened
something went wrong at the last minute in talks with Reithoffer
A of A was asked but they were already booked

A of A contracted Arco shows to play it
A of A sent in a few rides and someone brought a webber 1001 nights

there was also a Rampage booked in

WOW Thanks Swooper...
Never knew that and never heard of Arco shows...

I'm guessing the Weber 1001 Knights was probably CVS's ??
I saw it at the Dade county youth fair in Miami one year with Conklin (Conklin's Rainbow was there too). BIG piece.

And a Rampage, WOW would have loved to see one of those again too...
thunderbolt85
Friday, June 28, 2019 12:03:56 PM
That weber 1001 nights could have been CVS or Deggeller, those were the only two that I knew of having that ride.
thunderbolt85
Friday, June 28, 2019 12:05:29 PM
What all did Arco have, seems like I remember them but not what they had. Did they have that Polyp and Viking pirate ship.
swooper
Friday, June 28, 2019 2:19:32 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

What all did Arco have, seems like I remember them but not what they had. Did they have that Polyp and Viking pirate ship.

i dont remember a pirate ship there

would have to check my photos
there was a sky wheel for sure
and an enterprise that never got up and was told it got repossessed there
i remember seeing the loads
Tornado
Friday, June 28, 2019 2:45:21 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

That weber 1001 nights could have been CVS or Deggeller, those were the only two that I knew of having that ride.

yes, forgot about Deggeller having one too.
JustinJames
Friday, June 28, 2019 2:47:48 PM
I was there in 1996 with Wade. It was the first setup for the White Water. Also, the return of the newly refurbished Hit In 2000. The Skywheel, Huss Pirat, Rainbow, Space Loop, Enterprise and Crazy Dance were all part of the lineup as well as the new Alpine Bobs from that year. It was impressive to see.
thunderbolt85
Friday, June 28, 2019 4:49:37 PM
If it's alright to say who's enterprise got repossessed
swooper
Friday, June 28, 2019 8:21:29 PM
It was said to be arco’s
They seemed to be having a rough time of it