Dave
  •  Dave
  • 53.24% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Sunday, April 14, 2019 12:54:04 PM

If i owned a carnival i would join forces and sue att. The big rip off communication companies are not our friends

Pizzagod
Sunday, April 14, 2019 9:09:40 PM
It's just a commercial-and complaining will just prolong it's life.

If you want to complain about something to AT&T see if they will put Lili with the giant boobs back on.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
ridejocky
Monday, April 15, 2019 1:12:11 AM
Notice the tub they're in is the only one with the chicken* lap-bar...

Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Monday, April 15, 2019 11:53:21 AM
Originally Posted by: Pizzagod 

It's just a commercial-and complaining will just prolong it's life.

If you want to complain about something to AT&T see if they will put Lili with the giant boobs back on.

Yes, but just getting really "tired" with the way people show us sometimes. I am sure this company would be quick to defend their business/industry if the roles were reversed.

The real question is what show allowed this to be filmed without first viewing the finished product (or park).
Pizzagod
Monday, April 15, 2019 3:53:23 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

Yes, but just getting really "tired" with the way people show us sometimes. I am sure this company would be quick to defend their business/industry if the roles were reversed.

The real question is what show allowed this to be filmed without first viewing the finished product (or park).

I'm sure you are-but we've been at the butt-end of esteem forever. This is nothing new, is it? As far as them defending themselves...have you ever heard anybody say anything nice about a cell phone company? Gee, I sure love paying $70 a month for dropped calls and no service. I don't recall this often. Finally, what show allowed....Gee, $omebody $aid okay didn't they? If the owner of the equipment or show said no, they just would have gone down the line until somebody else said yes. Not excusing that, but I can't fault them. (Of course you can't tell from the canvas or the food wagon who it is).

It's annoying. If it's more annoying to you, you have every right to that. Me? forty years of insults, I have pretty much toughened my skin. People ask if my food is good, I tell them it's edible (like everything else, it's subjective. People love McDonald's. I think they are crap. But gee they sell a lot of them. That's what makes horse racing. ) . Is my tea sweet? Gee, what's sweet to you? I gag when I drink it. I go to parts of the southwest and they wonder how a Yankee learned how to make such great tea. Etc. Etc.

I'm not defending it. I'm just not all that worked up about it. They're going to air their commercial, then they'll air something else, and none of this will make a darn bit of difference.

For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
thunderbolt85
Tuesday, April 16, 2019 7:02:17 AM
Originally Posted by: Pizzagod 

I'm sure you are-but we've been at the butt-end of esteem forever. This is nothing new, is it? As far as them defending themselves...have you ever heard anybody say anything nice about a cell phone company? Gee, I sure love paying $70 a month for dropped calls and no service. I don't recall this often. Finally, what show allowed....Gee, $omebody $aid okay didn't they? If the owner of the equipment or show said no, they just would have gone down the line until somebody else said yes. Not excusing that, but I can't fault them. (Of course you can't tell from the canvas or the food wagon who it is).

It's annoying. If it's more annoying to you, you have every right to that. Me? forty years of insults, I have pretty much toughened my skin. People ask if my food is good, I tell them it's edible (like everything else, it's subjective. People love McDonald's. I think they are crap. But gee they sell a lot of them. That's what makes horse racing. ) . Is my tea sweet? Gee, what's sweet to you? I gag when I drink it. I go to parts of the southwest and they wonder how a Yankee learned how to make such great tea. Etc. Etc.

I'm not defending it. I'm just not all that worked up about it. They're going to air their commercial, then they'll air something else, and none of this will make a darn bit of difference.

Well, we can agree to disagree, but yes over the years I have gotten a little more lighter about getting upset about someone talking bad about this industry, don't get near as defensive anymore, yes its the way it is.

rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, April 16, 2019 9:50:49 AM

It is sometimes the local person you hire that makes the people go hmmm!
RodB
JustinJames
Tuesday, April 16, 2019 1:33:52 PM
Originally Posted by: rodler 

It is sometimes the local person you hire that makes the people go hmmm!

Hence why we almost never hire spot help on our show anymore.
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:51:37 AM
Originally Posted by: JustinJames 

Hence why we almost never hire spot help on our show anymore.

Is that just to operate the rides or no green help on set-up/tear down either?
rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, April 17, 2019 10:10:01 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

Is that just to operate the rides or no green help on set-up/tear down either?

It was both in the past. Now days I don`t recall seeing locals operating anything but the kiddy rides. I can remember people in the past help set the rides up and then go around making folks skeptical about riding them.
RodB
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, April 17, 2019 10:42:14 AM
Originally Posted by: rodler 

It was both in the past. Now days I don`t recall seeing locals operating anything but the kiddy rides. I can remember people in the past help set the rides up and then go around making folks skeptical about riding them.

Yeah I remember folks like that, didn't know what the crap they were talking about. We had an incident like that one time at a major festival, guy went beefing to the office about how the Sky Wheel cables were loose and carrying on.

Another funny story (well kinda) on a show I worked on (no longer in business) where there was a flat store. The guy had only been with us for a few spots, not a full time carnie and told some folks about the flat store right after they had played it (guess he found out some how), they went straight to the office and that guy was gone before the hour was up.
JustinJames
Wednesday, April 17, 2019 1:39:55 PM
I maybe hire one or two in a month. Operators NEVER work out any more. They always have some drama and/or reason to bail early. We never use set up help and occasionally hire one or two for teardown.

thunderbolt85
Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:56:19 PM
Hey if you can do without hiring green help then I can relate, when we did sometimes you spend more time telling them how to do it, or do it right.

Green help was good for heavy lifting but so much better when you had experience in important positions, made the job go much faster.

My hat is off to you all JustinJames for skipping green help, or least being able too.
ridejocky
Friday, April 19, 2019 10:59:46 AM
I was walking fire chief around the lot once and he wanted a look at the light-plant.

Opened up a big fusible disconnect and one of the fuses had been replaced by a 9/16” wrench...

If you have a decent crew, green-help is useless. My best time ever on the boat was 3:45 with just me and four of the best crew I ever had...
Ride the Zipper?
Benjibear
Sunday, April 21, 2019 10:13:58 PM
Entertainment media always will portray things to the stereotypes and misconceptions that people have become so familiar with. This is one example.

Here is an example in my industry. You see in the movies or TV where someone holds a lighter, or there is smoke, or a bunch of candles (The OFfice), or somebody pulls the fire alarm and all the sprinklers in the building go off. Well that can't happen. The sprinkler head will only go off when it reaches a certain temperature and only that head. Also, you think you would get a shower of clean water will come out. No. It will be nasty black, smelly, sludge coming out at first. Just another example that plays into a misconception, and could be the reason people are against residential sprinklers in their homes.

Laugh and move on.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.