thunderbolt85
Tuesday, September 4, 2018 7:55:14 AM
When out to see AofA at the Upper SC State Fair Friday and I promise you guys I was going to take pictures, but we could not get our digital camera to work, will try to get it fixed before the next spot. But can tell you what was there, big A was back in there after about 8 years and they did a lot of promotions with the fair, it seemed to help, crowds were looking good and there was a line to get in when I left. Talked to some of the vendors and they said things were looking up as well and doing better.

Rides were:

Giant Wheel
Crazy Mouse
Polar Express
Rock N Roll (music ride)
Free Fall
Sky Fall (Kamikaze)
Tilt
Wave Swinger
Orbiter
Scooters
Starship 4000
Crystal Lil's
Family Swinger
Firestorm (Tornado)
Slide
Rock N Tug
Wacky Worm
4 or 5 Umbrellas
Beez
Eli Construction Zone
Far West Train
Frog Hopper
MGR
Go Gator
Rainbow Rock
SpongeBob Fun House

Magic Carpet Fun House - liked this one a lot, two 28' foot loads and had the conv. belt to exit out, haven't seen one in a while, very nice tricks. Not sure if owned or booked.

Good number of joints and food and a few shows (circus, etc.)
Tornado
Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:24:20 PM
Wow only 30 rides? thought that was a much larger event than that.
trucknut741
Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:51:52 PM
yes but look at the size and scope of the rides giant wheel 4 trailers crazy mouse 5-7 trailers polar express 3 trailers waves swing 2 trailers on and on
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, September 5, 2018 5:18:54 PM
Originally Posted by: Tornado 

Wow only 30 rides? thought that was a much larger event than that.

and a Two trailer Magic Carpet Funhouse.
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, September 6, 2018 7:01:38 AM
Yep, lots of big rides this year and with the Mouse I believe that is helping with the crowds again. A lot comments in years past was not enough rides and not running, but this year there have been positive comments on the rides and a feeling of more for the adults, I think AofA can bring that one back to a "good" fair status if they keep doing what they are doing and advertise the heck out of it.

But yes, back when the Blackwells owned it it was a big event, not a state fair, but folks could go in there and make some money. I had a CFA concession in there back in the early 90s and did quite well. Deggeller, Deggeller/Conklin Magic midway along with Johnny's United brought in big midways. Even Crown for a long time there brought in a lot of stuff.

It dropped off some with Pugh and then J&J, lot of empty spots between rides, then AofA got it and it picked back up, well they left for a few years, and the show that had almost ruined it based on somethings they did, and the fair (both parties).

But things are looking better this year, have a friend who has concessions in there and he said crowds and spending are much better.

And I think I missed 5 of them, seems I remember the height ride list had 35, have to check again.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, September 6, 2018 7:02:40 AM
Originally Posted by: JimmyD 

That's not yours is it?
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, September 6, 2018 11:15:15 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

That's not yours is it?

I would bet it is. That was a good spot a one time but it has gone thru so many different carnivals in the last 10 years it is not what it was, plus the grounds were sold and have had many different managers.

thunderbolt85
Thursday, September 6, 2018 1:50:57 PM
Originally Posted by: britt 

I would bet it is. That was a good spot a one time but it has gone thru so many different carnivals in the last 10 years it is not what it was, plus the grounds were sold and have had many different managers.

Yep, you hit the nail on the head, this area is exploding in population, so its not a matter of not enough people, and they love a good event to go too.

It takes both parties, and I think AofA put forth a lot this year and did a good job.

I just hope the new owners make some changes. There is just so much that could be done with history and with the future as well because this area is big on the auto industry now, aviation, and tech. All of those could be incorporated into the fair.
Tornado
Thursday, September 6, 2018 3:49:06 PM
Originally Posted by: trucknut741 

yes but look at the size and scope of the rides giant wheel 4 trailers crazy mouse 5-7 trailers polar express 3 trailers waves swing 2 trailers on and on

Polar Express is 1 trailer as its a Wisdom model.
But get you point...
Tornado
Thursday, September 6, 2018 3:50:12 PM

Jimmy D missed you in Essex this year 😞
thunderbolt85
Friday, September 7, 2018 7:01:55 AM

Polar Express is 1 trailer as its a Wisdom model.
But get you point...

Yep you right, Polar is one trailer, but the Rock and Roll is two I believe.

That Polar they bought, maybe just me but the hills seemed a little bigger that other models. Again may just be me but thought it looked different.
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, September 8, 2018 4:14:48 PM

Jimmy D missed you in Essex this year :-(

I missed being there myself. I always enjoyed that Spot. Tell your dad that we all said hello. Hope to catch you somewhere down the road.

and Yes that is my Magic Carpet in here.

And yes a lot of multi trailer rides.

Wave Swinger 2
Rock and Roll 3
Giant Wheel 4
Magic Carpet 2
Crazy Mouse 5
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
thunderbolt85
Monday, September 10, 2018 7:16:43 AM

I missed being there myself. I always enjoyed that Spot. Tell your dad that we all said hello. Hope to catch you somewhere down the road.

and Yes that is my Magic Carpet in here.

And yes a lot of multi trailer rides.

Wave Swinger 2
Rock and Roll 3
Giant Wheel 4
Magic Carpet 2
Crazy Mouse 5

Well that is a really nice piece, nice lady out front, friendly.

May have been you I saw on the Sunday before opening, I went out to see what was there and spoke with Robbie I believe, he was laying out the lot.

Someone over next to your ride was filling up generator for house trailer.