britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:02:50 AM

What happened to Conklin's giant wheel. it was at the NCSF before Strates got theirs. It has been discussed before but my memory is not as good as it was. lol
thunderbolt85
Tuesday, February 2, 2016 1:12:39 PM
Not sure it was at the NCSF before Strates got theirs, I do know it was used a lot at the SCSF in Columbia though. Deggeller may have took his GW into the NCSF as he and Strates have worked together on spots before and Deggeller/Conklin wheels were similar except for the tubs.

As far as where its at now, I think it's rusting in a field somewhere from some reports I have heard, but could be wrong.

skywheel88
Tuesday, February 2, 2016 3:49:59 PM
Nope, sold to a European operator and sets up at different events in France mostly. It's painted back to all boring white too.
[img]UserPostedImage [/img]
Kenny.

ridejocky
Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:34:13 PM
I am pretty sure it was at Raleigh. That, their Enterprise, Polar Express, Wave Swinger & Dopple-Looping.
Ride the Zipper?
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:26:59 PM

it was in Raleigh as I remember the Conklin Clown face on the center. at one time NCSF and SCSF did not overlap if I remember correctly.
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:08:08 AM
Ah ok, I stand corrected what year was that?

Thanks for the update on the Wheel not "rusting", glad to hear its still in use.
ridejocky
Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:40:16 AM
Maybe '80?

They (Conklin) brought the Tidal Wave as well, and I think Strates got the Pirate in '81.
Ride the Zipper?
skywheel88
Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:45:39 PM
That's interesting! Never heard of Conklin playing Raleigh. Thought Strates had that date forever and earlier with A of A. If it was 1980 that makes sense, I once read an article that had shots of Conklin in N.C., does anyone remember the Sky Wheel being there too?
Kenny.

thunderbolt85
Thursday, February 4, 2016 7:17:29 AM
I remember reading a story on the NCSF one year with Strates and he had at least two Sky Wheels (his and Deggeller), and having two Sky Divers (his and Coleman brothers), plus he used to book some of Deggeller's Huss rides, I know the Ranger played there one year, not sure if his Weber 1001 Nights did though.
ridejocky
Thursday, February 4, 2016 11:04:24 AM
Originally Posted by: skywheel88 

That's interesting! Never heard of Conklin playing Raleigh. Thought Strates had that date forever and earlier with A of A. If it was 1980 that makes sense, I once read an article that had shots of Conklin in N.C., does anyone remember the Sky Wheel being there too?

Conklin's Southern Comfort unit booked with Strates. I think Raleigh all the way to Broward.

Ride the Zipper?
ridejocky
Thursday, February 4, 2016 11:17:32 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

I remember reading a story on the NCSF one year with Strates and he had at least two Sky Wheels (his and Deggeller), and having two Sky Divers (his and Coleman brothers), plus he used to book some of Deggeller's Huss rides, I know the Ranger played there one year, not sure if his Weber 1001 Nights did though.

I played Raleigh from '78 to '88 and don't remember Deggler booking Huss rides. I think Conklin's Southern Comfort unit may have originally been Deggler's "Spectacular Magic Midway"

I do remember having two Skywheels and the 1001 Nights. I think Strates got the Tri Star from the guy that booked the 1001.
Ride the Zipper?
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:18:31 PM
Originally Posted by: skywheel88 

Conklin has pieces Booked in, as Strates booked pieces in every year.

thunderbolt85
Friday, February 5, 2016 7:21:28 AM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

I played Raleigh from '78 to '88 and don't remember Deggler booking Huss rides. I think Conklin's Southern Comfort unit may have originally been Deggler's "Spectacular Magic Midway"

I do remember having two Skywheels and the 1001 Nights. I think Strates got the Tri Star from the guy that booked the 1001.

Now, I have to say I didn't go, but I remember an article in "Carnival" of the fair with a picture of the Ranger (no back wall)and a ride list, may still have it. Now, this was not the NCSF but remember reading in AB as well that Deggeller booked in his Break Dance (leased or owned)at the Central Florida Fair with Strates as well that one year he had it on the road.

Loved that TriStar, rode it every year I could until he sold it, said it just didn't make money against the Enterprise. Not sure why that didn't catch on because the experience was unusual, like a Scramber in the air. Course, there were a lot of platforms and that big back wall.

Wasn't that also around the time that fellow with the Cortina Bobs and Bumper Boats would book with him as well, what was his name?
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
Friday, February 5, 2016 7:56:53 AM

A ranger was at the NCSF one year. remember seeing it there.
ridejocky
Friday, February 5, 2016 9:30:46 AM
Kenny Detty had the "Snowball Express" with Strates for a few years, I think that was a re-themed Cortina Bobs.

The only bumper-boats I remember was Bill Truex's
Ride the Zipper?