johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, March 25, 2013 11:33:13 PM
http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/ 

I haven't been in a lively debate for a while so this should be fun. In one county in Alabama, one in four people are on disability. It seems if you didn't go to college and your back hurts the rest of us should send you a check every month. In America, disability claims and unemployment run neck and neck. Go figure.

I have an ex wife who got disability. I guess fat and lazy qualifies. That's one reason for the ex part of the wife title. I've earned every dime I ever got and she wanted a free ride.

Here's the story I heard today that prompted this:
http:www.npr.org/2013/03...-adults-is-on-disability 
FartingCarni
Tuesday, March 26, 2013 3:08:15 AM
I think this problem varies by region. The leading factors likely are the different judges and doctors and such covering the assorted areas. I'm currently on disability, and it took me four years to get it started. The people that initially took my case in turned it down in a heartbeat, and four years later at my appeal the advocate and doctor handed me my case. And this even after my attorney quit the night before. Man was that lawyer *ed when he found out I won my appeal so easily, and since he quit he didn't collect a dime. By no means do I enjoy trying to survive off the disability though. $700 a month isn't a whole lot to work with, and if I could find a job and hold a job, I would be out there working again. I've been trying for quite some time too, and only managed 6 interviews since November.

Why am I on disability you wonder? I have Asperger's Syndrome with Manic Depression and Anxiety, been dealing with it my whole life. And unfortunately in the work I have done, most employers seek out the first reason to get rid of me. Surprisingly most the guys I worked for in the business never had a problem with me though, just a couple shows that the people I worked with really set off my anxiety and I ended up heading elsewhere. So, in an attempt to give back to society I volunteer my time with the American Red Cross and the National Weather Service.
johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
Wednesday, March 27, 2013 12:01:12 AM
Originally Posted by: FartingCarni 

I think this problem varies by region. The leading factors likely are the different judges and doctors and such covering the assorted areas. I'm currently on disability, and it took me four years to get it started. The people that initially took my case in turned it down in a heartbeat, and four years later at my appeal the advocate and doctor handed me my case. And this even after my attorney quit the night before. Man was that lawyer *ed when he found out I won my appeal so easily, and since he quit he didn't collect a dime. By no means do I enjoy trying to survive off the disability though. $700 a month isn't a whole lot to work with, and if I could find a job and hold a job, I would be out there working again. I've been trying for quite some time too, and only managed 6 interviews since November.

Why am I on disability you wonder? I have Asperger's Syndrome with Manic Depression and Anxiety, been dealing with it my whole life. And unfortunately in the work I have done, most employers seek out the first reason to get rid of me. Surprisingly most the guys I worked for in the business never had a problem with me though, just a couple shows that the people I worked with really set off my anxiety and I ended up heading elsewhere. So, in an attempt to give back to society I volunteer my time with the American Red Cross and the National Weather Service.

I don't think the government has any business telling me who I should give my money to. If you worked for me I would probably slip you an extra double now and then. It's the ones who could pull their weight and want a check I have a problem with. I see it all the time down here. Food stamps are bad too. I see people buying steaks and paying with EBT cards all the time.
ringmaster
Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:48:29 PM
Originally Posted by: johnroach100 

I don't think the government has any business telling me who I should give my money to. If you worked for me I would probably slip you an extra double now and then. It's the ones who could pull their weight and want a check I have a problem with. I see it all the time down here. Food stamps are bad too. I see people buying steaks and paying with EBT cards all the time.

I've been working since I was twelve, I paid in Social security on most sucker jobs. Twenty three years back a few of the little children in my neighborhood bashed my head in with a brick as a Halloween prank. Head injuries left me unable to work or return to school although I tried several time. I've been receiving medical treatment ever sense with mixed results. The social workers at my regular clinic told me to apply for disability, because the state couldn't continue to treat me without Medicare.
The social worker took me to the SS office along with my records which had their own box on wheels. I waited six months with out pain medication for an answer. Social security sent me a letter stating that their investigation had not revealed any evidence that I had ever been treated by any doctor, anywhere. It went on to say that I could appeal the decision, but, to remember that they were considering passing my file on for prosecution for felony fraud. I was homeless and had no treatment for three years. Thank goodness for the skills I learned on the road. Two lawyers I knew would not touch anything that had the words disability fraud attached. Finally another friend took on the case. He got records that showed that although the government had transcripts of my medical records, they had sent a form to the wrong doctor, who wrote back that he had no records. I finally got a fair size back payment and monthly disability payments plus full coverage. But four years were hell.
johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:08:04 PM
Originally Posted by: ringmaster 

I've been working since I was twelve, I paid in Social security on most sucker jobs. Twenty three years back a few of the little children in my neighborhood bashed my head in with a brick as a Halloween prank.
BTW go * yourself.

I wanted a fun discussion, not a go * myself. BTW, I don't have to * myself, I have a wife. You said you paid in on sucker jobs, have you compared what you paid and what you have collected over 23 years?

I said I don't have a problem with those who truly need it, only the freeloaders. I still don't want the government taking my money and giving it to people I don't like.

Maybe you should go to NPR and listen to some of the stories. One guy said his brother would be homeless without disability.
Whatever happened to taking care of your own? Disability has become the new welfare, and even the liberal media will admit it.

ringmaster
Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:36:45 PM
Disability is a part of the way we take care of our own. it the American way, the Christian way, the civilized way. No, I've never figured out how much I paid in vs. what I received. why would I. I never figured out how much I lost while I wasn't working because , because I wasn't getting the medicine I needed, because of a simple screw up. I never figured up how much I lost by not staying in school and getting my BSRT, or how much I lost in benefits because SS figured my benefits on my income for the five years I mostly wasn't working, instead of the years I was making my highest pay.
You want to start a "fun" thread about cutting off the lifeline of disabled citizens if you don't happen to like them ?

flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:48:53 PM
I am quite familiar with diability. My wife had brain surgery for brain cancer (which my insurance paid for) leaving her left side weak and would get weaker. It took 3 years and a stack of forms and reports over a foot high to get her disability. She was also subject to seizures. All for $600 a month minus the medicare ding.

Well things have changed under Obama, he directed SS to loosen the qualifications, not to help people but to serve his purpose. With the relying on govt it is the liberal belief they will always be voted in as anyone else will make people requalify with tighter restrictions. It is time to see which doctors signed the documents and fine them for every one that doesn't meet actual requirements. I have no problem helping those who need it but not the lazy ones. Let me add, I hurt my back at work. The MRIs showed the torn disc and how it was bulging, After 3 months of therapy I was back on the job. The was heavy industrial maint, not exactly an office job sitting all day.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
ringmaster
Friday, March 29, 2013 11:05:14 AM
Glad you were able to get back to work Flamo. Sorry about your wife, but imagine what it would have been like for her if she had no insurance and no family., And then, if she got through it would have to live on six yards a month for the rest of her life.
Obama appointed a couple of people who's hearts are in the right place, but they can't change an intrenched bureaucracy. Nothing has changed.
I've lived and worked with handicapped people for twelve years. I only met one,one who was "fat and lazy". Actually he was thin and lazy, but his wife worked for a crooked pill doctor. The government finally shut that doctor down, now he's a retired millionaire.
This is a subject that needs more discussion, but it lacks all the elements of humor.
Bowler Roller
Friday, March 29, 2013 11:15:00 AM
I find it hard to believe that so many people have such an easy time scamming disability, when I think of all the BS and costs my ex wife went through to get a couple hundred a month.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
ringmaster
Friday, March 29, 2013 12:38:33 PM
what make you think it's easy. I've only seen one case in twelve years of working with handicapped students and seniors. One in twelve years.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, March 29, 2013 11:24:30 PM
Numbers don't lie, the media fails to report this but since Obama took office to ease the unemployment numbers he issued a directive to ease up on disabilty requirements. We have had a a rapid increase in the number of those on disability. From reports I have read AFTER unemployment runs out they apply for disability. See if I can't find a few links on that. One other thing, how do you get those off of disability even though many don't deserve it? Has Obama created a permanent hand out?
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
Friday, March 29, 2013 11:25:32 PM
Originally Posted by: Bowler Roller 

I find it hard to believe that so many people have such an easy time scamming disability, when I think of all the BS and costs my ex wife went through to get a couple hundred a month.

Originally Posted by: ringmaster 

what make you think it's easy. I've only seen one case in twelve years of working with handicapped students and seniors. One in twelve years.

I went back and read the transcripts of all five stories on NPR tonight. I missed a couple when they were broadcast and wanted to be sure I knew what I was talking about. For better or worse, disability is being used to replace welfare. Go to www.npr.org  and search disability. It only takes a few minutes to read them all. If you don't do that you have no idea what prompted my first post.

Once again, I don't have any problem with anybody who truly needs disability getting it, but not being willing or able to find a job isn't a disability. I meant a fun and lively discussion as enjoyable, not something to laugh about.

FartingCarni
Saturday, March 30, 2013 5:01:42 AM
Originally Posted by: johnroach100 

I went back and read the transcripts of all five stories on NPR tonight. I missed a couple when they were broadcast and wanted to be sure I knew what I was talking about. For better or worse, disability is being used to replace welfare. Go to www.npr.org  and search disability. It only takes a few minutes to read them all. If you don't do that you have no idea what prompted my first post.

Once again, I don't have any problem with anybody who truly needs disability getting it, but not being willing or able to find a job isn't a disability. I meant a fun and lively discussion as enjoyable, not something to laugh about.

Here in Michigan if you want "cash" assistance, you have to prove you have either applied for Social Security, or have an appeal in progress. Or if you are in the process of a child support proceeding. One way or another the state gets the cash back. Food Stamps seem easy enough to get here, but I think the rules are set by the USDA and Federal Government. In the news lately they seem to be cracking down on it. To qualify for Medicaid you've got to be collecting disability, be a minor, or near as I can tell, have a vagina. Sorry if that seems sexist, but even when I was hospitalized with throat cancer before I had disability, I couldn't even get Medicaid. But knew a lot of women who got it, and qualified merely because they worked less then 20 hours a week.
Blake
  •  Blake
  • 51.56% (Neutral)
  • Operations
Monday, April 15, 2013 3:10:23 AM
Originally Posted by: Bowler Roller 

Your ex wife's experience is common, but I'm a private investigator in Northern California and I can say there are a lot of people who work harder at finding loopholes and learning how to fill in the 'correct' answers to scam the system than they ever did working a real job.

Knowing how to talk to a bureaucrat and what to say to a doctor goes a long way to getting them to sign off on the proper forms to get you paid.

Earlier posts mention changes made to the system by politicians; often medical professionals scam the system, help their patients to scam the system, are too lazy to change procedures as things change, etc. Their bureaucracy can't keep up with the bureaucracy that has oversight for their industry.

Fraud needs to be investigated and, if proven, prosecuted consistently. Mistakes are made, so a person's history and the context of the offense should be factored in prior to making a decision to prosecute or not.

Unfortunately, for me and for society, lots of folks have decided to save their budgets by not investigating! How's that for logic?

BLAKE
DickHefner
Wednesday, January 8, 2014 10:55:27 PM
I see alot of frivolous cases on the small shows I work on.
I was "diagnosed with Aspergers and a whole string of other stuff. My case is pretty unique in that when i first came out on the road i couldnt function, Mr. Kenny Maple jr kicked my ass into shape...
If I were to try and live on my own and have a sucker job I firmly believe I'd need to be on disability and medicade, whatnot. I have major panic attacks that I've learned to calm myself out of (that or lose my job) I cant run a ferris wheel cause they freak me out.
Im sorry if my sentence structure sucks lol, sensitive topic..

I currently work as an all around man (wire the show, take care of the generators, perform electrical maintenance) for Johnnie Maple. Im comfortable there. Running rides gives me anxiety but I'm not using that as an excuse to not have to do my job, I bite my tounge, grit my teeth and remember to breathe. Hell, i ran the wheel last year til we could get a wheel man... i stutter when i talk to marks. So over the years I've learned that I can fake an accent and IT WORKS AS A COPING MECHANISM LOL.

Irritates my coworkers but oh well, most of them dont last two weeks.
Now onto my point, when we get a guy who takes money or foodstamps from the government and has the audacity to brag about ripping off whatever state, i do whatever is in my power to report that person, snitch em out, whatever you want to call it. If i, an individual on the autistic spectrum have to work mt ass off for the things i want. And you brag about being a fraud to ME?! Oh heck, I'll see you locked up. Screw that
In memory of Kenny Maple Jr 1973-2010