FriedPhil
Sunday, January 6, 2013 9:02:28 AM
Check out the photos of music rides on a new site:

www.musicridesoftheworld.webs.com 

Please do not exit the ride until it comes to a complete stop.
rideguyray
Sunday, January 6, 2013 3:31:21 PM
nice website phil
i sent ya a message over there
anyways i would be interested in sending you some of my pictures of music rides i have
Follow me on Facebook at Ray Fendrick
FriedPhil
Monday, January 7, 2013 11:09:43 AM
Originally Posted by: rideguyray 

nice website phil
i sent ya a message over there
anyways i would be interested in sending you some of my pictures of music rides i have

Thank you, but I am swamped with photos right now. I will keep you in mind as I grow the site.

FriedPhil

Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, January 7, 2013 9:25:52 PM
Your avatar shows Everest. There was a Himalaya by that name booked on with Strates at Hamburg, NY in 1966. Trailer said the ride was from Nantasket or Salisbury Beach in Massachusetts. The ride was down for most of the spot and 2 days after Strates loaded the train and went to Syracuse [NYSF] the Everest was still on the Hamburg lot. Never saw the piece again. Is your picture the same ride?
FriedPhil
Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:09:35 AM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Your avatar shows Everest. There was a Himalaya by that name booked on with Strates at Hamburg, NY in 1966. Trailer said the ride was from Nantasket or Salisbury Beach in Massachusetts. The ride was down for most of the spot and 2 days after Strates loaded the train and went to Syracuse [NYSF] the Everest was still on the Hamburg lot. Never saw the piece again. Is your picture the same ride?

No, my avatar is of an English ride that I don't believe ever came to the United States. The name of it was L' Everest and it doesn't exist any more as near as I can tell.

The L'Everest ride is a hybrid of a Bayern Kurve crossed with a Himalaya-style ride. The cars mechanically "bank" as the ride increases in speed, unlike a Himalaya.
FriedPhil
Sunday, January 13, 2013 9:32:45 AM
If you would like to contribute photos or comments to www.musicridesoftheworld.webs.com  please register with the site.
JW
  •  JW
  • 56.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, January 13, 2013 6:53:39 PM

There was an Everest ride with the tilting seats at one of the Massachusetts beaches. Off the top of my head, I don't remember if it was Salisbury or maybe Revere or which beach it was at.

The ride was manufactured by Chereau of France.

Chereau was the builder of the original Himalaya rides before Reverchon acquired the manufacturing rights to the ride from Chereau.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in Andre Chereau's company, there is a website dedicated to the history of the company...
http://metiersforain.canalblog.com 
(Be sure to click on all the links to all the other pages and photo galleries... there are a lot of cool photos and artist renderings of Himalaya-type rides, scooter buildings, and other rides, etc. that the (now defunct) company manufactured, including photos inside the factory of rides while they were being built).
"Don't forget to be half fair and give a little credit to the small concessionaire"
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, January 13, 2013 10:00:14 PM
Looking at the Chereau site I noticed one of the Himalaya's had the curved roof structure I remember seeing on that Everest in 1966.
FriedPhil
Monday, January 14, 2013 9:38:26 AM
Thank you for the Chereau tip.

I swear I thought the Himalaya ride was first built by Zierer or Mack. I had never heard of Chereau.

It makes sense to me that Reverchon would have bought the plans from another French company.

I guess none of this stuff was patent protected in the way that rides are now protected from copying by other companies.

Does anyone know if Zierer made a ride named Himalaya?

Did Heinrich Mack make a ride named Himalaya?
FriedPhil
Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:52:49 PM
Bump.
JW
  •  JW
  • 56.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:22:24 PM

The Everest was in Revere Beach in 1964. There was a picture of it in a 1964 issue of AB. It was imported by Harry Prince.

"Don't forget to be half fair and give a little credit to the small concessionaire"
JW
  •  JW
  • 56.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:06:35 AM
Originally Posted by: FriedPhil 

Thank you for the Chereau tip.

I swear I thought the Himalaya ride was first built by Zierer or Mack. I had never heard of Chereau.

It makes sense to me that Reverchon would have bought the plans from another French company.

I guess none of this stuff was patent protected in the way that rides are now protected from copying by other companies.

Does anyone know if Zierer made a ride named Himalaya?

Did Heinrich Mack make a ride named Himalaya?

I probably should have worded my reply differently. Instead of saying that Chereau built the original Himalaya, I should have said that Chereau was the originator of the Reverchon style himalaya, or perhaps, Chereau was the original designer and manufacturer of the Himalaya which was later manufactured by Reverchon, before Reverchon acquired the plans to the ride.

Unfortunately, I don't know what manufacturer was first to use the name "Himalaya".

In a special newsletter Reverchon International Design published in 1997 commemorating Reverchon's 70th. Anniversary and their 100,000th. bumper car. it stated, "In 1943 Gaston had the idea to manufacture a revolving ride, the "Bobsleigh", with cars like the ones of the Matterhorn, on which the seats were made of sheet metal". In the same newsletter, there is a photograph of a ride which appears to be a Himalaya type ride with big cars with two or three rows of seats which is identified as, "First Revolving Ride".

In an article in the Oct. 19, 1985 issue of Amusement Business...

Harry Prince, who was 90 years old at the time, was on a study tour of Europe with 70+ other IAAPA members...

The article stated...

"During a stopover in Italy, Prince related that he was the first person to bring a Himalaya into the US. he did so back in 1945 and sold it to Coney Island. He said it was made by Andre Screau [sic], who sold the plans to Reverchon of france when he died".

"That ride costs 220,000 today and it doesn't have one extra light bulb, no changes from the one I brought over" said Prince. "When i bought it, the cost was $45,000 and I think it took another $8,000 to get it over here", he said adding, "I made $3,000 on the deal. then I brought in a Belgian Himalaya".

FriedPhil
Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:52:59 AM
Thanks a lot for your information, J.W.

It leaves me lots of room for research.

Thank you very much.
shadow project
Saturday, January 26, 2013 12:56:28 PM
Looking at that Chereau site in the old caterpillars section you can see that the Himmy at Funland park Revere Beach and the one at Paragon Park in Hull were the Radonee Infernale by Chereau so that settles that. Also Polar Express in Coney is also shown, so Chereau was the first imported himmy into this country. At least stated by Billboard circa 1960.