I was reading thru the website of the Kimberton community fair
located in chester county Pa area.. and i see that Reithoffer shows is doing
a nightly POP price of $16.00 every night of the fair from open to close
and a 12.00 wrist band special on saturday afternoon and back to 16.00
after 5 PM to close...

Most carnivals around here or county fairs wont do wrist band specials on
a weekend... I mean i understand why thats usally when the best crowds are
is on a friday and saturday night... so can anyone explain how such a big show
like reithoffer shows keeps wrist band prices that low??

Soda Guy
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:44:53 AM
Originally Posted by: Majestic Fan1982 

so can anyone explain how such a big show
like reithoffer shows keeps wrist band prices that low??

Yes I can and so can many others that read here but:

A You wouldn't understand

B. You would then try and argue that you know better

FriedPhil
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:45:47 PM
Maybe they raise the gate?

Two drink minimum?

I'm curious to see how well these new systems work where the carnival operator can program the wristband to get you to the head of the line on a ride by paying extra for the wristband.
Please do not exit the ride until it comes to a complete stop.
Hippie Bill
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:34:13 PM
If I remember it correctly, that fair has always been POP for the entire run. I played it back in the early 90's and it was then.

The joints made money then too. The marks were nice, and the fairground was a nice country type fairground.

There must be something in it or Riethoffer wouldn't play it.
"Hit the last two and finish it up for the large."
joan
  •  joan
  • 57.04% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:44:00 PM
Maybe their per caps go up dramatically when they do pop for a reasonable price. I don't know though..
jb
  •  jb
  • 51.84% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:04:48 AM
KY IS FULL OF COUNTY FAIRS DOING $10 POP'S
Benjibear
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:46:07 AM
When S&S was in Kimberton, it may have been a POP fair for admission. They may have found that many people came because of this reason and when Reithoffer took over, decided to make rides POP and drop the addmission. Also, with many shows in that area refusing to run any POP, it may bring a lot of people in because they know the value there. As far as how they are making money, Reithoffer may book a lot of concessions with a high lot privilege.

It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Pizzagod
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:13:31 AM
Originally Posted by: Benjibear 

When S&S was in Kimberton, it may have been a POP fair for admission. They may have found that many people came because of this reason and when Reithoffer took over, decided to make rides POP and drop the addmission. Also, with many shows in that area refusing to run any POP, it may bring a lot of people in because they know the value there. As far as how they are making money, Reithoffer may book a lot of concessions with a high lot privilege.

Wait a minute....Carnivals book a lot of concessions and charge high privilege? Who would have thought such a thing?

For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
Jackpotter
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:29:40 AM
Originally Posted by: jb 

KY IS FULL OF COUNTY FAIRS DOING $10 POP'S

Yes it is, whether right or wrong to most people, that's just how it is here. In fact, and I may stand to be corrected on this, but I think Fred Kissel really started the POP Fair in Kentucky in the late 80s. Before that most fairs had a $2 or $3 gate then usually the carnival had a couple of armband days or nights for $10 or so...but most of the time it took tickets.

There are very few county fairs in Kentucky that aren't POP anymore. Unless I'm mistaken, all of Kissel and Myers spots are POP and I think most of Casey's Rides and Belle City's are too. Between those four carnivals you have the majority of KY Fairs. Funtime has a few spots and Derby City has a few spots and maybe a couple more shows but those are the main ones besides NAME at the state fair.
Soda Guy
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:36:11 AM
Originally Posted by: Jackpotter 

Yes it is, whether right or wrong to most people, that's just how it is here. In fact, and I may stand to be corrected on this, but I think Fred Kissel really started the POP Fair in Kentucky in the late 80s. Before that most fairs had a $2 or $3 gate then usually the carnival had a couple of armband days or nights for $10 or so...but most of the time it took tickets.

There are very few county fairs in Kentucky that aren't POP anymore. Unless I'm mistaken, all of Kissel and Myers spots are POP and I think most of Casey's Rides and Belle City's are too. Between those four carnivals you have the majority of KY Fairs. Funtime has a few spots and Derby City has a few spots and maybe a couple more shows but those are the main ones besides NAME at the state fair.

Jackpotter I also think that Billy O'Conner with Irish Concessions was booking with Fred at the time. I know other areas tried it, but went away from it. Some committees didn't want the carnival to have fence to fence control. Not saying that is how it is in KY but when other carnivals looked at it that is what they were asking for.

Soda Guy
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:00:47 AM
Originally Posted by: Pizzagod 

Wait a minute....Carnivals book a lot of concessions and charge high privilege? Who would have thought such a thing?

If they do that I hope they don't start charging for show shirts and ID's, I mean the dings could be endless.

IndianaTED
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:44:35 AM
Originally Posted by: Jackpotter 

When Terry Portemont got back into the biz with All-American Shows in the very early 80s, he was a believer in doing all POPs. And I know he played spots in Kentucky.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
Hippie Bill
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:18:23 PM
Seems like the fair in Honesdale PA was like that too, but its been a while since I played it.

I had started out on big A, Phil's unit and we played a lot of really rough spots in the inner cities. What a surprise when I went to these rural fairs and how the marks treated us. A real culture shock.
"Hit the last two and finish it up for the large."
Majestic Fan1982
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:55:12 PM
Originally Posted by: Hippie Bill 

Seems like the fair in Honesdale PA was like that too, but its been a while since I played it.

I had started out on big A, Phil's unit and we played a lot of really rough spots in the inner cities. What a surprise when I went to these rural fairs and how the marks treated us. A real culture shock.

what show did Kimberton in the 90's when you use to be at that spot??
Majestic Fan1982
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:02:01 PM
Originally Posted by: Benjibear 

I wonder if S&S was the longest company who played Kimberton.. Im surprised
S&S didnt try and keep Kimberton and just drop Allentown Fair...
I do know they have down sized the bigger fairs they use to play
but still have kept the Luzurne county fair and a few others.
S&S still has good wrist band prices.. about $18.00
I still even think $20.00 is still pretty good.