Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:35:55 PM
Here are some pics of some retro Otterbacher Ticket Boxes I built from scratch. I have wanted to build them for years but never knew the dimensions. I finally found a real one this summer to get the measurements from. They are 100% to scale! You dont see the one man boxes anymore and I vaguely remember them from my childhood.

I built a tandem-axle pup trailer for them as well. Completely from scratch other than the wheels. They rack very cool, side by side but one faces forward and one backwards because the shape of the boxes are almost like a triangle. The boom/hoist is on a post that is movable. The trailer also has a working pintle hook on the back!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Link to the webshots album 
Fabbri_Guy
Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:43:27 PM
Dam those are tight. I aint never seen them before. Uh, what formula or whatever do you use to convert the measurements? I wanna learn how.
crazyspin
Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:58:45 PM
Those look fantastic! I love the trailer. Very impressive! 👏
carnivalkits
Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:54:38 PM
Great work as usual! Did you use puff paint for the lights? I found some small Jewels at Michaels that they were running a clearance on. I can send you some if you think you might want to use them.

Fabri Guy do you have Excel on your computer. If so send me your email and I can send you a simple spreadsheet to crank the numbers for you.

Rich
Skywheelrider
Saturday, December 31, 2011 8:13:18 PM
Those look fantastic Ted. Really nice. Outstanding detail, just like all of your work.

Fabbri, I, like most folks here I believe, work in HO scale. HO is 1/87 the size of the real thing, or as many model railroad building sites have said, about 1 inch is equal to about 7.5 feet in HO scale. So, for example, a 60 foot fun house front in HO scale would be eight inches wide.

On another note, looking at the first photo, how many shows had an SDC Pirate? Farrow, Cumberland Valley (which is at Lake Winnie now), and Wade still has their's. Just curious. Always liked the look and ride on those.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
FNO Sean
  •  FNO Sean
  • 57.68% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, January 1, 2012 1:25:52 AM
First class quality my friend!
AGS
  •  AGS
  • 55.38% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Sunday, January 1, 2012 4:04:16 PM
Originally Posted by: Fabbri_Guy 

Dam those are tight. I aint never seen them before. Uh, what formula or whatever do you use to convert the measurements? I wanna learn how.

I use to(still do somewhat) do Model Trains - HO Scale - also known as 1:87th scale. I bought several years ago a "metal" scale ruler that has the scale footage for O Scale, HO Scale, S Scale, and N Scale. It is called: Model Railroad Reference Rule. I still use it now when I'm building HO Scale Carnival and Circus models. It comes in real handy if you're "not" good with Math.(like me. LOL) It is made of stainless steel and made in the USA. You can most likely still get one at any "Model/Hobby shop". (Not "Kaybee Toys" or "Toys r Us" type stores)

As for the Ticket Boxes - Great Work !! Love the detail on them. Like that trailer for them as well !! Keep up the great modeling !!
BeauceCarnavalMan
Monday, January 2, 2012 12:08:23 AM
wow those looks great
BeauceCarnavalMan
crnvl
Monday, January 2, 2012 3:20:07 PM
Great looking ticket boxes and trailer...love the detail on the trailer.
SideWinder
Monday, January 2, 2012 9:06:26 PM
Sweet Job Ted, nice outcome....
Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, January 16, 2012 6:23:07 PM
Thanks for the words all! Lots of work in them (probably 30 hours+) no cutting corners...

As for scale I took the measurements from the actual trailer (Luehrs Ideal Rides) and actual ticket boxes (from Mr. Eds Magical Midways) in inches, this past summer. From there its pretty simple to scale into 1/87 (HO). I have 3 different HO scale rulers. The boxes are 54" wide in real life so that is 4.5 HO scale feet. An HO scale rulers is 87 feet, so the scale box is .6250 inches wide. Im a stickler to scale, "roughly" is not good enough for me, needs to be precise!
Fabbri_Guy
Monday, January 16, 2012 7:20:29 PM
Originally Posted by: Ted 

Thanks for the words all! Lots of work in them (probably 30 hours+) no cutting corners...

As for scale I took the measurements from the actual trailer (Luehrs Ideal Rides) and actual ticket boxes (from Mr. Eds Magical Midways) in inches, this past summer. From there its pretty simple to scale into 1/87 (HO). I have 3 different HO scale rulers. The boxes are 54" wide in real life so that is 4.5 HO scale feet. An HO scale rulers is 87 feet, so the scale box is .6250 inches wide. Im a stickler to scale, "roughly" is not good enough for me, needs to be precise!

Whaaaaa? Huh? I didn't follow that. 54 inches... right? So 4.5 is hos feet? A ruler is 87 feet lenght? So the box is .6250. So its what 5 3/4? " That's it I'm going right now to pick me up those rulers. So in O scale those boxes would be what? 1.500 which is 1 1/2.
carnivalkits
Monday, January 16, 2012 9:31:38 PM
Fabri Guy, if you have the dimention in inches just divide by 87 to get the size in actual inches you need to make the part. If the actual measurement is in feet then multiply the feet by 12 to get inches then divide again by 87. To get the same measurements in O scale use 48 instead of 87.

Rich
Fabbri_Guy
Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:27:55 AM
Originally Posted by: carnivalkits 

Fabri Guy, if you have the dimention in inches just divide by 87 to get the size in actual inches you need to make the part. If the actual measurement is in feet then multiply the feet by 12 to get inches then divide again by 87. To get the same measurements in O scale use 48 instead of 87.

Rich

Dammit! I should know this. I read prints at work, and work with decimals all damn day! Thanks everyone. I usually just eyeball my stuff, but the past few rides I been figuring them the correct way. Looks like ill have to do a new ride to try this * out!