Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Thursday, August 6, 2009 12:03:24 PM
Anyone know where to find a ride list for MNF this year? I am planning to get there for a day or two finally. I have always wanted to see that fair.
This is on their site but no info on who owns what:
http://www.mnstatefair.org/pages/midwaykidway.html 
chuck
  •  chuck
  • 62.8% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, August 6, 2009 12:39:11 PM
That's the same list I've seen the past few years. McDonagh's, Michael Wood, Jane Baxter, Flight to Mars, are some of the companies who bring equipment in. I think the coaster is A of A. Maybe not, but I do remember them bringing in their Avalanche coaster. Not sure who else brings in stuff.

I have a question about the list. I noticed Magnum isn't on it. Is this a typo, or is it playing somewhere else?
chuck
  •  chuck
  • 62.8% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, August 6, 2009 12:44:22 PM
Looking at the list again, no Sleigh Ride, no Himalaya type ride either. Only an Alpine Bobs. Is this a complete list, or are they still adding? The list seems small.
Skywheelrider
Thursday, August 6, 2009 1:23:34 PM
Minnesota has not had a Himalaya-type ride in years, they don't make money there. I know McDonagh's has the Sky Wheel, Scrambler, Tilt-A-Whirl, Eli 16, Big Ben, and Bees going in, and Blake McDonagh has his Alpine Bobs going.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Bgotthar
Thursday, August 6, 2009 2:58:17 PM
Does anyone know if Joe Noerper is taking his Michael Jackson Ferris Wheel to MN. State Fair? I know Jim Sinclair would love it their.
I worked for Pugh Shows from 1974-2000. Married Michelle Gazella of Gazella's Finer Foods
pizzaman
Friday, August 14, 2009 1:38:02 PM
I know that they have cut six rides that were not doing well. a last minute addition to the ride line up is the BIG BEN drop tower that used to be owned by Bluegrass Shows. I don't remember who owns it now.
Jackpotter
Friday, August 14, 2009 4:09:06 PM
Won't be Big A's coasters..they are both in Lebanon TN for the Wilson County Fair...both the Avalanche and Crazy Mouse are in Tennessee
Jackpotter
Friday, August 14, 2009 4:10:17 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Minnesota has not had a Himalaya-type ride in years, they don't make money there. I know McDonagh's has the Sky Wheel, Scrambler, Tilt-A-Whirl, Eli 16, Big Ben, and Bees going in, and Blake McDonagh has his Alpine Bobs going.

I've never heard of a Himalaya type ride not making money....why is it that they don't in Minnesota? Just too much competition from other big iron pieces?????
JustinJames
Friday, August 14, 2009 7:10:49 PM
Pirate Ships, Himalayas, Crazy Dance ect ect don't fare well there. No clue why... they just don't.

BIG BEN is owned by McDonagh's Amusements from Chesaning, Michigan.
Jackpotter
Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:39:53 AM
My first thought would be people in Minnesota are no different than people anywhere else. It makes no sense for rides that typically have a strong gross wherever they go to not have decent grosses at a large state fair.

So, who lays out the lot? Could it have anything to do with where these kind of rides have typically been placed? Is there some sordid past of a Himalaya accident in Minnesota? I just think that's peculiar...
Predatorocks
Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:01:45 AM
It's not a big shock that the Fighter is still coming to this spot. I think in their ad that they are selling the ride, they don't want to sell it to another carnival company. Well, that eliminates basically most of the people that want to buy it.

So, did no one like that Mondial Heartbreaker because I don't see it going to state fairs anymore.
rdcolles
  •  rdcolles
  • 57.6% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:31:47 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Predatorocks

It's not a big shock that the Fighter is still coming to this spot. I think in their ad that they are selling the ride, they don't want to sell it to another carnival company. Well, that eliminates basically most of the people that want to buy it.

So, did no one like that Mondial Heartbreaker because I don't see it going to state fairs anymore.

I only saw it once at the Florida State Fair in 2008 and no one was riding it. My understanding is that it was sold just prior to the 2009 FSF to someone outside of the country.
chuck
  •  chuck
  • 62.8% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:20:28 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jackpotter

My first thought would be people in Minnesota are no different than people anywhere else. It makes no sense for rides that typically have a strong gross wherever they go to not have decent grosses at a large state fair.

So, who lays out the lot? Could it have anything to do with where these kind of rides have typically been placed? Is there some sordid past of a Himalaya accident in Minnesota? I just think that's peculiar...

I see what Chris and Justin are saying. Some rides just don't sell in some areas. Think of it as gambling. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I remember the old Dolton, IL carnival. For some reason, whenever a Himalaya type ride was there, it didn't sell. Then the next year you bring in a Flying Bobs type in, and it sells. I remember one year, same place, a Huss Pirate was brought in. It blanked. The next year, a Kamikaze was brought in, and it scored.

I rode the Heartbreaker. It's ok but, it's nothing more than an Inverter with a backdrop. The concept is good, maybe it could make money with a small show, but not a big one. Especially if it's sitting in between two bigger pieces.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:53:34 PM
Heard Magnum was staying out west.
Skywheelrider
Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:19:05 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bill P

Heard Magnum was staying out west.

Huh, different, as he usually plays Minnesota, then Oklahoma City, then Dallas, then jumps out East then to Florida with it.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain