popcornserver
Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:56:56 PM
Heard today that the Orange County Fairgrounds are closed until further notice. They had a problem at the race track on Wed.(electrical problem that caused a fire) and the town of Wallkill closed it until major repairs are made.
I know Strates already had pulled in some equipment last weekend. The fair is supposed to open July 23rd.

cny_chris
Saturday, June 20, 2009 6:29:25 PM
Not surprised at all. Fairgrounds used to be nice and well-kept, you can tell by looking past some of the decay there. But money appears to be a problem...
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, June 20, 2009 9:40:25 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by cny_chris

Not surprised at all. Fairgrounds used to be nice and well-kept, you can tell by looking past some of the decay there. But money appears to be a problem...

Do they qualify for a bail out, should be 'shovel ready'.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:03:38 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by flamo

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by cny_chris

Do they qualify for a bail out, should be 'shovel ready'.

Can it be saved in 1 week, if not, we need a new president.
UserPostedImage
bolarina
Sunday, June 21, 2009 4:53:50 AM
THATS PROBABLY FOR THE BEST CAUSE THAT FAIR IS THE PITTS!!! SO WAS THE INDEPENDENT LOT MAN!!!!!
Its never too soon, but it might be too late...get your hiney checked!
bolarina
Sunday, June 21, 2009 4:56:16 AM
SURE AM GLAD VIVONAS A OF A ARE NOT CAUGHT IN THE MESS
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:30:01 AM
ocf has seen better days,and was the premier fair of the region in its day. but by no means is it a blank. it is a huge property in the middle of a town that has been struggling economically.

it can be easy to blame management for the condition of the fairgrounds, but after playing it for over 35 years i can tell you, that is not the case. the gurda family works hard to keep the fair going after 169 years.it is not an easy task. ny state and all its strict regulations has got to be one of the toughest states to own and operate a fairgrounds,especially one the size of middletown. the financial burden of keeping up with state regs has got to be enormous.

there are a bunch of shows, and independent operators that are sitting in mud holes right now. i'm sure they would rather be on ocf's paved midways, yet they knock someone else. vivona's a of a was not happy they lost the spot after all those years.i know that to be fact. they have not replaced it with anything better and i was told they would love to go back if the opportunity arose. things change, and most people move on. ocf is not an easy fair to play. conditions are not the best, but if it were easy, anybody could do it.

i spoke to mike yesterday. he is confident he will get everything back on schedule. i wish the best for ocf, mike gurda, strates show, and all indy operators, and any of my friends that may be affected by a possible closing. we all need to work. we all need to eat.
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, June 21, 2009 1:08:55 PM
You can always count on LOTMAN to get the facts.
UserPostedImage
Mel Fabrikant
Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:18:33 PM
Steve .. missed you at the Paramus spot!
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, June 21, 2009 3:52:13 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Mel Fabrikant

Steve .. missed you at the Paramus spot!

hey mel, been with j&j on the island. got to go where i can put games up. that does'nt happen in paramus or most of jersey. hard to pay the bills when you can't work.
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
mjcarniegirl
Sunday, June 21, 2009 10:27:22 PM
it's sad to hear that orange countny fairgrounds is closed . I havn't went there since a of a stopped going . it was defiantely a great fair back in the day . I have alot of good memories from ocf . I'ld hate to see it torn down but there has been talk of that for years . I would love to see it fixed up and reopen .
Hey steve are you going to be in meadowlands? I am hoping to get down there a couple times to see everyone .
choosh104
Monday, June 22, 2009 3:09:53 AM
hi steve how things doing yes a lot of memories n fun over the yrs i was there
bolarina
Monday, June 22, 2009 6:07:51 AM
thought i saw one of lotmans water races at cinnaminson fair rented to committe! thats in newjersy i thought he had to go where he could work and make money!!!left A OF A cause so many spots are license spots prize every time!! so he went where he could put it all up with JandJ and not have to do that!! inless he sold it to state fair rentals things must not be any greener on the other side!!oh well lotman good luck in all your endeavors!!!!!!!!!! and that was an A of A SPOT!!!!HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM A of A----------J AND J WHATS THE DIFFERENCE WHEN YOUR STILL DOING THE SAME THING!!!