Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, May 16, 2005 10:32:01 AM
OK, I asked this in the "trip report" thread but didn't get any real replys so, I'm trying it here on it's own. Here we go again...............
quote:

Originally posted by Bryan
There were trip reports on this board A LONG time before many people that now post here ever knew about the site.

This brings me to ask a question. That is true, this board was mostly fans and model builders at first. But for what ever reason, it's evolved into much more. There's lots of animosity now between the fans and the carnies. Not all but quite a few. I myself am guilty and have a short fuse when fans make stupid posts. But, you'll never hear me insult them by calling them "fan." That's low if you ask me. Anyway, the question......

Can this board ever get along since there is such a divide amongst the carnies and the fans?
Is there a jealousy from the fans because their not on the road for what ever reason?
Is there resentment from the carnies because the fans never no how much we sacrifice out there but they will get po'd if a show doesn't bring that special ride to their favorite spot?

OK, that was 3 questions. Sue me.
Sixcats have nine lives
violater_1968
Monday, May 16, 2005 10:49:34 AM
I agree!I'm not an ower of anyride or company,But I have been fasinated by the buisness since I was about 5 years old,I 'm 36 now!!
I will all respect the ownwers and operators because they are like me, hard working and enjoy what they do.

The old saying: momma said that if you have nothing nice to say don't
say it at all.
Missin it
Monday, May 16, 2005 11:08:53 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Sixcat

OK, I asked this in the "trip report" thread but didn't get any real replys so, I'm trying it here on it's own. Here we go again...............
quote:

Originally posted by Bryan
There were trip reports on this board A LONG time before many people that now post here ever knew about the site.

This brings me to ask a question. That is true, this board was mostly fans and model builders at first. But for what ever reason, it's evolved into much more. There's lots of animosity now between the fans and the carnies. Not all but quite a few. I myself am guilty and have a short fuse when fans make stupid posts. But, you'll never hear me insult them by calling them "fan." That's low if you ask me. Anyway, the question......

Can this board ever get along since there is such a divide amongst the carnies and the fans?
Is there a jealousy from the fans because their not on the road for what ever reason?
Is there resentment from the carnies because the fans never no how much we sacrifice out there but they will get po'd if a show doesn't bring that special ride to their favorite spot?

OK, that was 3 questions. Sue me.

question #1 I believe so
question #2 I hope not
question #3 I think there is a possibility

now for clarification:

1. This Board will survive, it can be likened to an extended family. You are never gonna be friendly to everyone. The nice thing about this board is that it reaches across a broad spectrum (personality wise). Thick skin is something some members here can never be acused of having.

2. Having been on the road when I was a little more free spirited and now having a good "sucker" job I can only speak for my self and say I do miss it BUT, but it sure was nothing to be jealous of! As my former boss (out on the road) used to say "It's a hard way to make an easy living" (thanks Vinny). I have an open invite to go back out on the road if I want to. As far as the jealousy factor, I sure hope that's not the case.

3. Having Been on the road and now being the chairman of the local committee, I can honestly say that despite the openess of the forum (for the most part) some people that are not "with it" do not understand the logistics involved, once again proving the old adage that you can't please everyone all of the time.

Rant complete[:D]
"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

If you can't defend your self don't make stupid comments (please)
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, May 16, 2005 11:26:44 AM
hey six, nobody gonna sue you. i will give you my answers/opinion of each of your questions. i do not think there is any divide between the groups but everyone must be tolerant of each ones knowledge and expectations for coming to this board. the fans are trying to learn/expand their knowledge of rides, carnivals, food, or whatever. there is no jealousy as i see it. there are those on here who wish to be traveling just as some carnival people would like to have the security of insurance and retirement. personally i have observed the life on the road and what traveling i do, i do not want to do it weekly as you do. conditions for carnival workers in most cases are much better than when i first started working the local fair in the jaycees, as there were a lot more tents and people sleeping under the rides etc. the problem as i see it is there are a few that crave arguments/attention and jump at the chance to correct someone if they happen to make a mistake. there are several that do not post as much as in the past due to that. we have had some fun with the three amigoes/traveling model carnivals(right crazyspin) and that was purely fictional but roused a few feathers but it was posted that anyone should have know it was fictional just as a lot of the stories you heard in the carnival industry. at one time it was mostly trip reports-new rides but this site has expanded to include a lot of other topics and a wealth of knowledge. there is however no room here for insults/cutting remarks as there are various degrees of intelligence and abilities here. some have learning disabilities and do well considering their ability to overcome those but some are quick to be critical. some are nor old enough to have drivers license and others are a little older. some have no high school diplomas and some have college degrees. on this site we all are a person behind a keyboard. some we know more about or have had the opporunity to meet and greet. when i first gained an interest in fairs-carnivals i too had to learn, and that was by talking-listening to people, visiting, going to conventions and reading ab. the internet was not available and immediate feedback was not. this site reminds me a lot of being at conventions as you have to determine fact from fiction, learn who got what spot from who, what is the latest new ride out, new regulations, show conditions/improvements, why someone booked that spot, and the list could go on. sixcat, this board can be the best source of education and information if used with courtesy and restraints than any magazine/newspaper printed. sorry for the ramblings, soapbox.
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, May 16, 2005 2:32:50 PM
Great replies so far. Keep it up gang.
Sixcats have nine lives
Jagger
  •  Jagger
  • 58.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, May 16, 2005 2:47:33 PM
I think of us all as family!!!!!!!
BigSumo
Monday, May 16, 2005 2:49:04 PM
Quote:

quote:

It surely can, if people just learn to respect each other AND the most passionate of the fans just learn that from time to time the over-the-top passionate behavior may bring forth a bit of sarcasm from thos of us who just plain do not understand that facination and passion.

Quote:

quote:

I think there are a few fans (nameless) on this board that are jealous of envy the carnies for whatever strange and insane reason. I liken it to hero worship if you will.

Quote:

quote:

There may a little resentment, but I think most of the carnies, at least the ones with any time under their belt, just find it funny when a fan gets upset becuase their favorite puke-o-matic was not set-up of the wrong music was being played on there favorite ride, they prefer Devo over Snoop.

We need the fans to make money, but some of the stuff I read is a bit over-the-top. I am sorry if that offends, but I just do not understand the passion. But the again I have a cousine who collects condoms from around the world (he has 1,200+) and I do not understand his passion either.
Clarke

Jacta alea est - "The Die is Cast"
plbrown
Monday, May 16, 2005 3:02:48 PM
Sixcat,
I asked a similar question about a month or two ago.As you can
tell by my signature I'm a fan..I've been a fan the first time
I stepped onto the mid-way when I was 4yrs.old..My mother
said my grandfather was a show person,she said that's where
my "facsination with the carnival" came from. Anyway Back On Topic...
Now this only my opinon,I think the carnival is somewhat a
closed business,and sometimes the show people take offense
when a fan comes off like they know it all,or at times put
them or their job with a show down...I was guilty of that
when I said wasting money..by playing games..I'm sorry
for that statement, I have played games, I was responding
to something someone said wich I took it the wrong way.
I was in the wrong..I also think at times theres alot of misunderstandings on here..Not everyone is on the same page
here..have their own opinions,ect..I think the only time
everyone got along was the thing we had going with the
parkies that was so fun!!!Anyway this is the coolest
place on the net!!For the most part I like the fans
and carnies here..Yes there have been things that's been posted
that I didn't agree with,but oh well that's life.Still I thank
Matt for this site.[:)][:)]

Paula
[}:)]UserPostedImage[:D]

Paula
UserPostedImage
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, May 16, 2005 5:02:05 PM
I think it is one sided, show people have less tolerance of fans at times but primarily as Sixcat describes it; when there are really idiotic questions that lack common sense.
I hope I have been more tolerant lately.
UserPostedImage
monkey boss
Monday, May 16, 2005 5:10:11 PM
Sixcat. great topic, and even better responses ! This board is terriffic and is a great way to get opinions and interest as well as needed day to day news, related to our buisiness.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, May 16, 2005 5:10:12 PM
Before I start let met state I know Sixcat from years back and there are a few others that fit that same catagory, that may bias my answer. I hope not. I spent many years on the road with many shows. This was before bunkhouses and what ever. I also spent years where I was home almost every night. I spent a lot of in WQ year round. It is not an easy life and at times has no rewards. I did it because I enjoyed it. I was part of what it has evolved into.

As for this board, there is no place for petty jealousies nor is it here because you feel offended by someone or feel they are stupid, you slam them. Those who are fans need to ask, read and comprehend. Those with it need to be more tolerant but when it becomes repetitous then a reply may be in order...

To me this is the place to renew, extend and create new friends, share information, learn and get caught up on what I have missed. This can be done civily. A PM to an individual or moderatator can go along way to keeping this board what it was meant to be. Enough said on my part.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
barn
  •  barn
  • 50.06% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Monday, May 16, 2005 5:12:18 PM
Mr Sixcat, for several months I have stayed in the background and observed what goes on this board and the carnival business.I have had a deep admiration for a good 40 years of this industry.It started oberving drews when they used to do our fair(Valparaiso,Ind)before cvs took it over in the 80 s.when I was a teenager I would get hired on to help setup and sometimes run rides for their drunk help before drews would discover it lol.I used to think I would retire some time soon and hit the road with a carnival but listening to you and others talk and sometimes cutting down my own obervations on here.I decided it wasnt a life I want to persue,however that doesnt make me less of a fan of carnivals. I understand its not a easy life and I suppose that make a person a little edgey with us non carneys. I have always enjoyed the stories of carney life,you and others have shared on this board. I also thank matt for starting and maintain this site. I hope everyone has a good season
Gary B.
cny_chris
Monday, May 16, 2005 5:21:16 PM
Okay, Sixcat, you asked for it, so here's MY 2 cents worth on this.

IMHO, yes, we all can get along here. It may not be all rosy, happy, and we certainly aren't gonna agree 100% of the time, but I think we can all at least respect each others' opinions, even if we don't agree. Remember, fan/ride jock/owner/jointee/concessionaire/entertainer/etc., whatever we are, we are all here because we share a common interest -- the carnival, albeit from different perspectives and interests. Missin it hit this one square on the head when he likens MCW to a family... how true that is.

Jealousy? I doubt it. I'd love to be out on the road at some point, and maybe one of these days that will be possible. But until then, I get my fill by hitting the lots, talking with folks in the biz, heading to sunny Florida each February, and of course, participating here at MCW. I'm certainly not gonna hold the fact that I'm not out there against anyone but myself.

I'm sure there's some resentment from those that are with it, because of the lack of understanding of some folks. IMHO, there are folks here at MCW who don't have the foggiest idea of any of the realities of the carnival (and may never understand). Others are interested in learning, and try to do so in a respectful way. Personally, I understand that it isn't just spotting the trailers on a lot, pushing a few buttons, and Voila!, instant carnival. It's a business to a lot of folks, who bust their as* all season long so they can put food on the table, pay the bills, and if they are lucky, put some aside for a rainy day. The iron doesn't move itself, the hours of 9-5 just don't cut it, and home doesn't always have a roof on it. They could care less if the ride is a Tilt or a Top Spin, so long as the ride is running, not broken down, not having an accident, and above all is making some money. Sacrifice is a good word, Sixcat... and I have to respect that sacrifice.

Before I ramble or accidentally hijack this topic, it is time that I yield the soapbox to someone else...
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, May 16, 2005 5:51:29 PM
it's funny that someone likened this group to a family. As they say, "you can pick your friends but not your family." So we have to tolerate each one in their own way.
I get a lot of info, rumors that turn out to be true and some not so true, but it is entertaining and timely. And often people really do get good info & feedback and knowledge from each other.
It's a great site.
orphaned
Monday, May 16, 2005 6:00:13 PM
You know what? We've all had our disagreements from time to time...but everyone still, for the most part, comes back.

I have had my share of exchanges with various people on this board, but I still value all of their thoughts and opinions.

I can understand the comment that "some get upset because a certain ride isn't at a fair or etc" and I do find those kinds of comments a bit annoying as well. But, there are other things here that are annoying as well.

I have always said there is room for everyone here...fans, carnies, retired carnies and even parkies to an extent. The one common thread among all of us that come here is that we have a passion for the carnival. SOme may have been fortunate enough to have taken that passion higher than some of us fans, but that doesn't mean we love it any less....perhaps just differently.

And, take it from me, more than just a casual fan...I do appreciate everything all of u guys that are with it and have been with it do and go through. I've seen it...although perhaps haven't "experienced" it. There are some here that don't understand...but most of us do.