LONNOL
  •  LONNOL
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Monday, April 25, 2005 5:03:40 PM
There seems to be a lot of debate on this item. Does anyone know a definitive source? I have heard two main points. One says that the Hrubetz Round-Up, which debuted around '54, was trailer-mounted. Another said that the Chance Trabant, whic debuted in 1963 and entered production in 1964, was the first trailer-mounted ride, with Hrubetz doing a re-design of the Round-Up after seeing the Trabant. Can anyone shed some light?

Adam
www.flatrides.com : Pimp-slapping you with all your flat ride needs.
Skywheelrider
Monday, April 25, 2005 5:44:01 PM
I have always heard that the Round Up was the first "official" trailer mounted ride (by that I mean built that way, not t/m after the fact).
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, April 25, 2005 5:49:36 PM
I don't know anything "offical" but I do know the Trabant came out in the '60's and I saw a Round up with a plate with the date of 1957 on it. So for that reason I know the Round up is older than the Trabant.

They Sky Wheel debuted in 1947 and I know the first one was ground mount, it is possible that the second or third was trailer Mounted.

If you count "wagons" as trailer mounts, the PTC MGR's were TM'ed back as early as the 30's Gun Wagons as they were known.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, April 25, 2005 6:13:33 PM
The first fully factory mounted major ride was the Round Up. Shows did mount Bumpers cars, kid rids, and Roloplanes but the Round UP was the first.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, April 25, 2005 6:27:34 PM
I'll vote for the Round-Up. That was late 50's, I'm guessing 56-57.
First Paratrooper I saw was trailer mounted , in 1960, I think.
Centers of a number of rides were trailer mounted, at least on some shows, Herschell Rocket, Herschell Twister in addition to the MGR's mentioned in an earlier post. When did the Wisdom Wheel's appear? Late 60's/early 70's?
Chance came out with Trabant in '62, didn't they? First one I saw was in '64.
By '63 we had skywheels, loop-o-planes, meteor's, bubble bounces, all trailer mounted.
Floridian
Monday, April 25, 2005 6:36:31 PM
The first TM ride was a swing ride mage by Smith. The axle of the ride was half way up the tower when standing. This ride was made around 1950.
MikeH
  •  MikeH
  • 50.24% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, April 25, 2005 6:44:34 PM
cny_chris
Monday, April 25, 2005 6:55:16 PM
Ah... the Eyerly Acroplane. Nice vintage pic there.

I think that it's safe to say that the Round-Up was the first trailer mounted ride, when one is talking about a modern style semi-trailer. Technically the old MGR centers were on wheels, and thus could be considered a trailer mounted ride as Scott points out.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
carnahan
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 5:23:22 AM
was that a model 24 or 30 ??
man is the only animal that can blush , or has the need to !