orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, April 24, 2005 6:19:47 AM
On Friday I packed up the car and headed for an afternoon/evening trip to visit three shows in Western and Central Tennessee. Even though the Weather Channel was calling for severe thunderstorms, I rolled the dice and made the three hour drive one way anyway and in the end it all worked out.

First Stop: Casey's Rides - still date in Clarksville, TN.

As I pulled into Clarksville the sky grew cloudy and large raindrops started to fall. However, the rain was short lived and once I found the lot was able to talk with JD Green (owner) and take a few pics. The show looked good....Ride list as follows:

Gravitron
Zamperla Pirate Ship
Quasar
Star Trooper
Tilt-A-Whirl
Swings
Rock-O-Plane

The Startooper has a backdrop..it's themed Superman and has a big three panel fold out backdrop. Kind of interesting. Quasar is a really cool paint job as well..all black tubs with flames on the front.

Show had a like number of kiddies and about 15 games, 4 food trailers and a three fun houses. They've been out on the road for six weeks and everything looked really good for the most part. Clean, high "bub" count. The lot was small, so things were really cramped in and they had one funhouse set up sort of in the center of the lot and you had to wind your way through to get to it as it's back was to the main midway. JD said that it had been a good season so far when "we get the weather". No sooner did he say that and a big thunderstorm blew up and closed the lot. We went ahead and left and headed for central TN and our next stop.

Stop # 2- Snyder and Metts Amusements - Franklin Street Fair, Franklin, TN. Snyder continues to have a solid show. Nothing "new" this season that I could tell, other than some bally cloth on some rides and perhaps some touch up work on the Majestic Musik Express.

Ride List:

Larson Fireball (2nd one made)
Sizzler
Tempest
Hurricane
Rock 0 Plane
Gravitron
Musik Express
Like number of kiddies and about a dozen games and four/five food joints.

It was very windy as the cold front was moving through...gusts of about 35mph...but there was still a good crowd. The Tempest is one of the best looking ones still out there. The molded plastic covers on top of the bonnets are all still there....and all lights work...it needs a new paint job, but still looks good. Overall "bub" count was probably around 70%...there were some out on the Fireball (IMO one of the worst rides to show unlit bulbs as it is easy to pick them out) and the Sizzler had some minor light issues as well.

Hill Snyder said last week that his house trailer caught on fire and was completely destroyed. He and his wife weren't in it at the time as they were off the lot, but their son-in-law saw it and tried to put it out but could not. Destroyed the whole thing, including their little Jack Russell terrier that they'd had for five years, all of their clothing and most everything else in the trailer. Otherwise he said people were coming out and spending money if the weather was good.

Stop #3 - Blomsness All Star Amusements--Murfreesboro TN Mall THis was the icing on the cake on the trip. Beautiful show and a nice layout.

Ride List:

Scooter
Orbiter
1001 Nachts
Tilt A Whirl
Sizzler
Wisdom Himalaya (Matterhorn)
SPider
Century Wheel
Inverter
Family Swings
Wisdom Tornado

A like # of kiddies, 18-20 games including the big flasy Denny's basketball game, (they even had a Wacky Wire..which I don't see much of anymore and I played for $1 and lost as usual despite the rep at Gibtown showing me how to play this year), and 5-6 food trailers.

The Orbiter looked rough...it had about 20% of the lights working and the Century Wheel didn't have a center marquee on it...but all in all this was a very very impressive show. All rides clean, no closed tubs or rows of seats...just top notch appearance. The third time I've ever seen it and it was by far the best.

THE BIG THING ON ALL STAR is the presence of Farrow and Conklin resources. This NAME thing is obvious. Conklins flags are on all the rides...and Farrows "Measure Up" signs are used on every ride along with Farrow's Wheel Chair/Stroller ramps on the midway. There were also some Farrow tractors parked and used as well. All-Star had all the benches/rest areas. It's obvious there is a major sharing of resources going on between the three shows.

All in all a great trip and I didn't get to talk to anyone at All Star because they were absolutely swamped. $1 tickets that took $4 to ride a lot of things and they had full loads with lines formed on ALL rides. They were turning some real dollars. CVS goes into this spot in three weeks. Be interesting to see how they do following someone in there.

I'll be posting pics of all three shows this week as soon as I get a chance to get them off the camera.
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, April 24, 2005 6:28:21 AM
Bryan, I stopped at the Blomness spot Wed night and even though the weather was perfect the spot was dead. It was about 9pm. Glad they got some crowds on Friday. I thought the hodgepodge of signs from the 3 shows was strange but I don't think the public would care. IMHO they need a corporate logo to combine the shows, one identity. Maybe eventually they will, but legal-wise it might be best to keep the individual identities. the help has been instructed to tell everyone they are one big show now. Several of them told me when I asked about the clown flags & farrow height signs.
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Sunday, April 24, 2005 7:01:59 PM
was the orbitor farrows or astors?? Astro has the old one with the pull out axles, farrows has the one that keeps the axles on.
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Monday, April 25, 2005 3:03:30 AM
If I'm not mistaken it had the axles on..and there was a Farrow truck parked close by. But, like all the other rides, it had Conklin flags all over it.
Matt C.
Monday, April 25, 2005 11:13:45 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan

was the orbitor farrows or astors?? Astro has the old one with the pull out axles, farrows has the one that keeps the axles on.

Nah, its Astros. Astro doesnt have any sceenery around the deck of the ride and they have the purple painted deck, sign posts, and sweep iron. The fence posts inbetween the fence sections on the deck have cut out stars and moons, while on farrows they are back lit plastic sections similar to an Ali Baba.

As Ryan said, Astros sits on the ground with the axels removed, verses Farrow's axels stay on the ride. Thus, Farrows Orbiter sits much higher off the ground then Astros with the axels removed. [:)]
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Monday, April 25, 2005 2:42:00 PM
Whoever it belongs to needs to do a LOT of light work on it. What you see in the pic is ALL the lights that were working....not a pattern!
cny_chris
Monday, April 25, 2005 4:21:32 PM
Definitely has to be an electrical issue there. That's not burnt out bubs... I'm surprised that it's Astro's... they must have been having a bad day...[:D]
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Matt C.
Monday, April 25, 2005 8:05:23 PM
Hahah, yeah I guess so. They have had the ride for a while; id guess its a late 80's early 90's model but I could be wrong. They always have seemed to take good care of it- i'm sure they will fix it.
Matt Cook
jonjon
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 3:09:59 PM
Does N.A.M.E. have their name on any of their rides or trucks?
orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 2:41:42 AM
Nope...not that I saw. There was NO mention of "NAME" anywhere. Blomsness generators, ASA Ticket Boxes, Farrow Measure Up stands and ticket signs, Farrow wheel chair/stroller ramps, Conklin flags on nearly all rides...and a couple of Farrow trucks....along with the ASA Office trailer. NOthing to indicate NAME
cny_chris
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 2:52:53 AM
I doubt that you will see much with the NAME name on it. NAME is the holding company that Farrow, Blomsness-All Star, and Conklin/Southeast Amusements operate under, and is likely set up with a corporate structure to limit the exposure to liability and likely has some tax benefits to boot. Look at WalMart and the numerous companies that they have... several trucking companies, real estate companies, etc.

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
SandellTheSplinterhead
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:30:31 AM
If you wanna see a great midway in TN right now, check out the World's Largest Fish Fry in Paris where Belle City is right now (I know because I'm working the Bozo tank there). Here are the rides they got up there right now:
Hampton Jump Cycles
Hampton Autos
Rock n' Roll Super Himalaya (the largest Super Himalaya in the USA)
Mini Himalaya
Mulligan Giant Wheel
Zamperla Crazy Plane
Sabretooth (like the Titanic)
Big Eli Scrambler
Super Slide
Majestic Scooter
Dark Ride (the only eye sore on the midway)
Ring of Fire
Chance Sea Dragon
Zamperla Power Surge
Dizzy Dragons
Allan Herschel style Carousel
Gravitron
Helicopters
Racing (like the Zamperla Speedway only smaller)
Dragon Wagon
Typhoon (Ali Baba)
Tilt-A-Whirl
Scorpion
Fun Zone
Bart: How would I go about creating a 1/2 man, 1/2 monkey type creature?
Sunday school teacher: I'm sorry but that would be playing god.
Bart: GOD SCHMOD! I WANT MY MONKEY MAN!
orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:36:47 AM
I really don't believe the Rock and Roll Himi is the largest super himi in the US...but it is a real sharp piece that's for sure. Is the Bertazzon piece bigger than a Mack piece? It sure doesn't look like it...
Matt C.
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 1:39:16 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan

I really don't believe the Rock and Roll Himi is the largest super himi in the US...but it is a real sharp piece that's for sure. Is the Bertazzon piece bigger than a Mack piece? It sure doesn't look like it...

Right on, its a VERY SHARP ride- but I believe the Mack is a bit larger.
Matt Cook
cny_chris
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 3:34:43 PM
That is probably one of the best looking music rides on the road in the US today. Size wise, I'd say the Mack is bigger, but not by a whole lot. The Mack definitely has a higher hill in the back, with the square corners vs. the round ones on the Bertazzon.