ridesicknsc
Sunday, April 10, 2005 2:55:30 PM
I went to Smokey Mountain Amusements at the Galleria Mall in Rock Hill, SC last night with my daughter. I got on the rides with her because she had no one else to ride with (and I ended up throwing up in a trash can, I might add.) We went on the Tempest--her first time, I hadn't been on one for over 20 years.)

The op put us and a little girl of about 10 in the same round bucket. My daughter and I sat on one side of the door and the little girl on the other side. They have installed belts across the seat sections that are supposed to ensure that you stay in your seat while the ride is running.

The ride had just gotten up to speed when the belt across the little girl across from us opened up. She flew out of her seat and landed on the floor in front of the door. The bucket was rotating unpredictably, and she started sliding around in different directions. I couldn't reach her, being strapped in and all, so I looked around to see if I could get the op's attention. I was already feeling dizzy, but turning my head sent such a rush of nausea over me I thought I would puke right then and there.

I couldn't tell if we were passing the platform or on the other end. I was totally disoriented. I looked back at the girl, and she had managed to grab a seat leg and was hoisting herself up into the seat. She grabbed onto the arm of the seat section, wrapped both her arms around it, and hung on.

I looked around again, my stomach churning, and happened to see the platform go by. I tried to wave at the op, but he was staring off down the midway, not even paying attention to the ride! I waited until we got around again, and he was still staring off. He had a boom box setting at the operator's podium, and I couldn't shout over the music and the rest of the carnival noise.

The little girl seemed to have settled in, so I concentrated on hanging on and not throwing up and messing up the guy's ride. When he stopped us, I was so sick and dizzy I didn't try any conversation--I just went to firm ground and tried to get my stomach to settle.

I tell you, the whole experience scared me to death. [:0] I guess I should have gone back and told the ride op or someone, but I was really sick. Also my daughter was begging for more rides. I foolishly went on the Wisdow Tornado with her, and that's when I threw up. [xx(]
Boils The Clown
Sunday, April 10, 2005 3:03:09 PM
Wow ,quite a story ! I'm glad everyone is ok . As for the ridejock, he should be * canned for not paying attention. I would have said something after your sickness/dizzyness wore off. Hopefully, someone from that show will see your post here @ MCW , & take it from there.
Come See My Fun House ,  & My Fun House Photo Gallery  
UserPostedImage
~ By All Means.....When In Doubt .....Jump On The "Blame Boils Bandwagon" ! ~
archived01
Sunday, April 10, 2005 4:28:54 PM
This is one of my biggest complaints with ride operators. Thank god the little girl didn't get hurt. I stress all the time just how important it is to pay attention to the ride and the people on it. Things like this can happen very quickly. I print out stories like this and accident reports with witness statements and read them to the guys before they start and at meetings to give them an idea of what can happen when an operator isn’t paying attention.

The problem is you can preach to them until your blue in the face and non of them take it seriously until they have a close call and even then after time they fall back into the same bad habits. That is why it is so important to have management out on the midway walking around and watching the operators all day. I try to stay on top of things like that but it is difficult at best. I wish I knew the answer but it is one of those problems that every carnival and amusement park has to deal with.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, April 10, 2005 4:41:10 PM
Years ago I swore if I had kiddie rides I would never use male operators. The female gender is so superior to the male gender in that area there is no comparision. Motherly instinct I guess. The only draw back is they want the ride perfect, the slightest noise out of place, or odd movement they shut it down until it is OKed or repaired. They really pay attention to what they are doing.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
archived01
Sunday, April 10, 2005 7:40:30 PM
Flamo you hit the nail on the head. We have had femal kid ride operators and they are by far the best. They do pay attention and the customers seem to feel more comfortable letting the women load and unload their kids as well. I have only had one that was worse than any guy I have had but in all other cases the women really did a better job running rides period. The only down side is set up and teardown but I have had some that could out work the guys.
MikeH
  •  MikeH
  • 50.24% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, April 10, 2005 7:50:28 PM
Maybe they will have a big church call and toss the operator into the creek.
Boils The Clown
Sunday, April 10, 2005 9:46:56 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by mikehawkenballs

[:D][:D][:D][;)]
UserPostedImage
orphaned
Sunday, April 10, 2005 10:17:14 PM
was that last smiley face the "PC" smiley face?!!?
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Boils The Clown

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by mikehawkenballs

[:D][:D][:D][;)]

Boils The Clown
Sunday, April 10, 2005 10:23:59 PM
If you wanna call it ,that you can .
UserPostedImage
ridesicknsc
Monday, April 11, 2005 6:45:09 AM
Yeah, I really should have told someone about the incident. I had talked to the op a few days before and he seemed like a nice guy. A part of me just didn't want to get him in trouble. That's my fault--he could have hurt someone badly.

This old man just can't take the rides anymore. From now on I'll stick to ferris wheels!
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, April 11, 2005 4:26:51 PM
As a former wheelman I respectfully request you watch the ferris wheel cracks. Being truthful, I get sick on a MGR, I ride long enough to grab the tickets and then its back to terrafirma next to the clutch, stop button or timer. We had clutches on gasoline powered jennys.
ridesicknsc
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 6:58:55 AM
Sounds like excellent advice, Flamo. Where would I check for cracks?
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 12:34:45 PM
Check the image in a stainless steel mirror.
plbrown
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 2:18:36 PM
Quote:

quote:

Smokey Mountain Amusements

That's Billy Clark's show!Wow..
Paula

[}:)][UserPostedImage[:D]

Paula
UserPostedImage
Boils The Clown