Grbjnt
  •  Grbjnt
  • 55.82% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, March 27, 2005 3:32:03 PM
There is a government program out there that will require all food operators to have a manager with a servsafe certificate with each operation I understand every one playing Indiana will have to have it this year and I hear Virginia is too, I have just taken the test and passed it it is 90 questions long and with the study period it took all day and cost $184 dollars and the Florida Restaurant association put it on down here in Florida but you can get this in all states as I have friend going to Columbus ohio to take it next week and Gordon Food Service is doing that one, also I hear that all employees are going to have to take a test for employees but I think it will be that the food service managers will be able to give those tests and get the certificates for the employees.
Herb
BSA Mike
Sunday, March 27, 2005 4:04:05 PM
Suffolk County does it too, your manager has to take the "food managers course" @ the board of healths place....
choirboy
Monday, March 28, 2005 12:09:00 PM
The Serv safe seems to be the best way to go. It is nationally recognized and so far my experiences have found thatany state, county that requires food handlers license will accept Serve Safe. ( For a fee of course) If it is not required where you play, I would suggest that you take the course anyway. It is informative and you will be ahead of others when the time comes that all food Mgrs. are required to have it. I took the entire course the first time and when it was time to renew, I just went on test day and took the test.( Cost was a little less for that option,however I would do the entire course at least the first time.
BigSumo
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 12:45:20 PM
Maybe I am sheltered to the rest of the country but Calfornia has required "Food Handler's Certification" for the past 20 years and has required a "Managers Cert" for the past 15. Hell, you need a cert in california to poor fountain soda. But any moron can pass the test: Heat all meat to 140 degrees, wear a hairnet, when a customer returns food do not resell it. If you fail well, I would prefer you are not serving me my food.
Clarke

Jacta alea est - "The Die is Cast"
Grbjnt
  •  Grbjnt
  • 55.82% (Neutral)
Thursday, March 31, 2005 2:22:47 PM
You would have flunked the test as you hold meat at 135 and you cook meat to its required temps which is 155 for beef and 165 for chicken and also this is not a state thing it is a federal government thing. and I have had a food handlers card for years in WestVirginia but this is not a state thing but it is recognized in all states
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BigSumo

Maybe I am sheltered to the rest of the country but Calfornia has required "Food Handler's Certification" for the past 20 years and has required a "Managers Cert" for the past 15. Hell, you need a cert in california to poor fountain soda. But any moron can pass the test: Heat all meat to 140 degrees, wear a hairnet, when a customer returns food do not resell it. If you fail well, I would prefer you are not serving me my food.

Herb
Boils The Clown
Thursday, March 31, 2005 2:32:15 PM
Well it looks like Mr. Bo Barker will be biting the dust this season, THANK GOD !
Come See My Fun House ,  & My Fun House Photo Gallery  
UserPostedImage
~ By All Means.....When In Doubt .....Jump On The "Blame Boils Bandwagon" ! ~
mjcarniegirl
Friday, April 1, 2005 8:26:04 PM
a food handlers certificate that's a good thing . but posted certificate only shows that someone did take the time for the training and they are supposed to know the correct procedures . but do they actually practice the correct proper food handling procedures? that is something to think about .
sausageseller
Saturday, April 2, 2005 2:41:23 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Grbjnt

You would have flunked the test as you hold meat at 135 and you cook meat to its required temps which is 155 for beef and 165 for chicken and also this is not a state thing it is a federal government thing. and I have had a food handlers card for years in WestVirginia but this is not a state thing but it is recognized in all states
Quote:

quote:

From the serve safe employee guide book:

Proper Temperatures for hot and cold-holding.
Hold cold food at 41 F or lower, Hold Hot food at 140 F or higher.

Food that will be hot-held must be reheated to an internal temperature of 165 F....
Grbjnt
  •  Grbjnt
  • 55.82% (Neutral)
Saturday, April 2, 2005 2:34:35 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by sausageseller

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Grbjnt

Quote:

From the serve safe employee guide book:

Proper Temperatures for hot and cold-holding.
Hold cold food at 41 F or lower, Hold Hot food at 140 F or higher.

Food that will be hot-held must be reheated to an internal temperature of 165 F....
[Thank you for the input on the Servsafe I spent three days studying and one of those is with the servsafe instructor and we went over every detail and I have the Safe Staff Manager review Guide in front of me now and have rechecked and on page 21 it says the food must be cooked to the minimal internal temperatures and hot held at 135Degrees or higher reheated foods must be reheated to 165 for 15 seconds now some states will require you to hold them at the higher temp West Virginia is one of them and South Carolina has adopted the federal standards of 135 so you all will just have to abide by each states standards also regarding the other persons concerns about having the certificate but still not being clean that is why sanitarians come out to these events and check and yes there are people that will never change here are some addresses and phone numbers if anyone is interested in checking this out. Email Safestaff@flra.com www.safestaff.org  www.foodsafetyusa.com  or phone toll free 1-866-372-7233 and again thank you for the input I am glad to see some one is interested .
Herb
sausageseller
Sunday, April 3, 2005 4:21:02 AM
Grbjnt, you bring up a good point. Not all regulations are the same.
I had a beef last year with a "health person" on glove use. I asked her when she was going to make all the "chefs" in the county use gloves? Now don't get me wrong, gloves are a good thing. But unequal application of the rules and regulations was my beef.
Grbjnt
  •  Grbjnt
  • 55.82% (Neutral)
Thursday, April 7, 2005 1:28:39 PM
Just got a update on ServSafe and in Ga. you will have to go to Atlanta to get certified and also Texas and Indiana are going to require it if you want to work there and they said that in a few years Ga is going to require it also.
Herb