with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, February 21, 2005 10:36:35 PM
For Those guys who Think they know how a Tilt a whirl works....

Tilt-a-Whirl Physics 

Here's another cool link....check out some of the others on this page ....a lego superloops, zipper, flying bobs and other cool stuff

http://www.randomterrain.com/personal/tilt.html 
tiltawhirl
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 6:20:35 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by with-it

For Those guys who Think they know how a Tilt a whirl works....

Tilt-a-Whirl Physics 

Here's another cool link....check out some of the others on this page ....a lego superloops, zipper, flying bobs and other cool stuff

http://www.randomterrain.com/personal/tilt.html 

That is a great mathematical description of Chaos theory at work With-it![8D]

There is a direct link to my amusement ride pages in my sig. Mr "perpetual dawn of the extreme weirdness" guy was kind enough to link to my pages.[;)]

Any idea how to host that small tiltawhirl avi on his site for my avatar use? He gave me the file and permission to use but I have no idea how to host it somewhere.

Long live the Tilt-a-whirl! Anyone have any pictures of the old wooden models? As a huge fan of this classic ride, I really am dissappointed with the difference in experience between the newer models with the motors on the sweeps vs. the cable-drive jobs. I guess it's true that the operator can have a significant effect on any one car when he can engage the clutch at will causing that moonraker effect![;)]

tilt
archived01
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 8:17:20 AM
I have seen that before I think it use to have an animated gif of a tilt running on the first page before you go to the page you linked.

If you look at the age of the tilt and the investment to buy a good used one today dollar for dollar it is probably one of the best earners. Look at what the used one at the show went for $3,500 or something like that. With some work and maybe another $10,000 that could be like a new ride. What ride can you buy for $13,000 that will gross 20%-25% of the lot? Of course that also depends on some factors but in general as long as it looks good and runs it makes money. I often wonder out of the new rides what the tilt of today’s era rides will be 30 years from now.

When Donnie and I were driving around the country and Canada looking for a good used tilt in 94 a guy had one for sale who said he didn't put it up anymore because his help didn't like to set it up. At the time I didn't know the office end of the business. Today I know what each ride on the show grosses and what the overhead on each ride is. Knowing that information I realize what a foolish statement that was.
tiltawhirl
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 8:29:38 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Scuba875

If you look at the age of the tilt and the investment to buy a good used one today dollar for dollar it is probably one of the best earners. Look at what the used one at the show went for $3,500 or something like that. With some work and maybe another $10,000 that could be like a new ride. What ride can you buy for $13,000 that will gross 20%-25% of the lot? Of course that also depends on some factors but in general as long as it looks good and runs it makes money. I often wonder out of the new rides what the tilt of today’s era rides will be 30 years from now.

When Donnie and I were driving around the country and Canada looking for a good used tilt in 94 a guy had one for sale who said he didn't put it up anymore because his help didn't like to set it up. At the time I didn't know the office end of the business. Today I know what each ride on the show grosses and what the overhead on each ride is. Knowing that information I realize what a foolish statement that was.

What on average WILL a tilt gross on an average site? How long until you make your investment back on say a brand new one?

tilt
archived01
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:00:37 AM
I don't know what a new one costs to be honest. I do know you can pick up a cable drive for very little in comparison to what it will gross. On average it will gross like I said 20-25% on our lots. If I gave you those figures you could figure out what the show grosses each year. I am not going to give that figure out but you could take a number say $100,000 dollar gross and take say the 20% figure that means the tilt would gross $20,000 for the season. Now you have to take out labor, transportation and parts but parts will be next to nothing in comparison to the labor. The tilt when moved properly won't take much to maintain maybe a few ballasts and a couple of bulbs each season and maybe a cable every other year. Others may have different percentages based on what rides are on the show but I think 20% is a safe number to go by on a small to med size show. Even with adding the Drop Tower last year the tilts take stayed around the same percentage.