lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, February 21, 2005 3:24:23 PM

Charles Tavar

TAVAR Charles Tavar, 97, passed away on Wednesday, 2/16/05. A long time resident of Miami, Florida, Mr. Tavar had lived in Jacksonville for 6 years. He was a member of The Temple, Congregation Abavath Chesed, the Masons, and Miami Showman's Association. Prior to retirement he was the owner of the Dell and Travers shows, outdoor amusement company. He is survived by his wife of 51 years, Stephenie Tavar, a son Bennett Tavar and his wife Kathryn, and his grandchildren, Lauren and C. Alexander. Graveside services will be held on Friday, 2/18/05 at 11:00 A.M. at Greenlawn Cemetery with Rabbi Michael Matuson officiating. FRASER FUNERAL HOME, 8168 Normandy Blvd., 904-781-4314, is in charge of arrangements. (fraserfuneralhome.com) Please Sign the Guestbook @ Jacksonville.com

Published in the Florida Times-Union on 2/17/2005.
Guest Book • Flowers • Charities

great show to have been around...

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
MamaBear
Friday, February 25, 2005 7:22:35 PM
Very nice man...Knew him many yrs ago...
If Only Closed Minds Came with Closed Mouths!
kiddie ride red
Saturday, February 26, 2005 2:33:12 PM
I joined the John H. Marks Shows in the spring of 1959. Charlie Travers was the general manager at that time. Because Mr. Marks was in failing health and staying close to his Richmond, Virginia home,Charlie was the MFIC (manager fully in charge).This was my first real job since "graduating" from "training school" and Charlie went out of his way to show me the ropes. The fact that I had been a naughty youth didn't seem to bother him. Charlie was very knowledgeable of the carnival business and was a good man to work for.When he and Danny Dell bought the carnival from Marks they looked me up and made me an offer to work for them that I could not refuse. Because I didn't look "carnie" I would often work as a "stick" at both Charlie's and Danny's games. When I got my draft notice Charlie gave me a sendoff party in Jack Galuppo's cookhouse that I will never forget.As I said he was a really good guy and a great showman who actually understood what the carnival business was really all about.May he Rest In Peace[8D].
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Saturday, February 26, 2005 7:35:08 PM
i went to the msa banquet last night. saw danny and his wife and mrs. lampell. they all looked great.red, if you were there in the marks days you had to know lenny (lux) lampell. what a great guy he was also. all those guys were great.if you were "with it" they took care of you, no matter where you were on the social ladder.that was a class act that will never be duplicated.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com