orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 9:33:34 AM
I don't know bout you guys that have seen it, but I'll be interested in following this rides progress thru the next season or two. Chris and I looked it over pretty hard both at the show and the fair. It's got a LOT of vibration all over the ride and the deck seems to take a heck of a pounding right as the tubs come off the hill...one has to wonder about the maintenance issues and how the ride will hold up..anyone else with similar thoughts?
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 9:40:30 AM
Do you plan to post a video on it?
UserPostedImage
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 9:40:53 AM
orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 9:51:28 AM
I'm not sure I even got any video of it running as I only had the video camera at the trade show one day...and the fair one night. If I do, I'll post it when and if I ever get time. I probably won't even begin culling out the footage til early to mid-spring with winter sports now winding down and spring sports starting at work. I still have raw footage from FSF in 2002 that I haven't even looked at yet...

For the record, when and if I have video to show, I will show it and you won't have to ask. Otherwise, it's pretty safe to assume, Pinetar, that I won't be putting any up.

However, my question was about possible maintenance issues for those who saw the ride and I doubt the video would even show the vibration I'm talking about.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 10:01:32 AM
No clue without knowing how the sweeps drop. Is it a snubber shock like the Flying Coaster, Hydraulic? Majestic will fine tune it I'm sure.
UserPostedImage
BSA Mike
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 11:36:41 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

No clue without knowing how the sweeps drop. Is it a snubber shock like the Flying Coaster, Hydraulic? Majestic will fine tune it I'm sure.

There is no hydraulics on the ride, however under each seat is an AIR Bag...just like you find on any tractor and that catches the car from slamming down...the wheel never acutally comes off of the ride, its like a himalaya with a big hill....
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 12:09:21 PM
Air bag aye? I hope there is more than one incase of a failure. So the tub just free-falls as opposed to the flying c'r which would float down. The FC had alum. fins on the shocks to keep the cyl. cool which I assume was a problem now and then over heating.

There are no shocks on the center end of the sweep?

You can expect the trailer to vibrate because there is no built in shock absorber on the deck, the FC deck was layed on the ground.
UserPostedImage
BSA Mike
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 12:20:40 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

Air bag aye? I hope there is more than one incase of a failure. So the tub just free-falls as opposed to the flying c'r which would float down. The FC had alum. fins on the shocks to keep the cyl. cool which I assume was a problem now and then over heating.

There are no shocks on the center end of the sweep?

You can expect the trailer to vibrate because there is no built in shock absorber on the deck, the FC deck was layed on the ground.

No shocks or hydraulics...i will look for pics, i think i took a pic of the bottom of the car...
BSA Mike
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 12:25:36 PM
just looked through the pics, dont have any of the underneath of the car...
orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 12:57:30 PM
Not really a free fall....it goes up the hill and instead of like the old flying coaster that sailed to the ground track, it rolls down the hill. It's a complete hill...not half one like the Flying Coaster was...I will look thru my pics and video and see what I can find....
rainman571
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 4:10:45 PM
I watched it quite a bit at FSF and it looked pretty neat. It rolls up the hill and down the other side. When the ride is fully spun up the air bag compresses on the "up" side and reinflates on the "down" side. The "down" side is where you "catch air" 🙂 There is some wheel hop after it comes down off the ramp...it looks like it bounces 3 or 4 times. It made a lot of noise doing the wheel hops and I wondered how well the track would hold up over time. The wheel hop happens running forward and backward.

I think the air bag design should hold up pretty well. It looks just like the kind found on semi trucks and those take some abuse and last a long time. It doesn't look like the end of the arm comes apart for racking so that should keep the bag from getting beat up.

I'm going through my pics now and will put up and album just for this ride. I think I got some good shots of the end of the sweep under the car.

Raymond
cny_chris
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 12:29:10 PM
The track area where the wheels ride is built up slightly compared to the rest of the deck. If the spot where the wheel "touches down" was on the main trailer, I don't think there would be the vibration. Essentially, though, the touchdown point is on one of the two panels that fold out from the main trailer.

I spoke to one of the ride ops at the FSF, and they appeared to be aware of the vibration, and noted that they had the jack stands tightened down as much as possible.

As far as the underside of the cars go, there is the previously mentioned airbag (similar to the air ride suspension on some trucks) as well as what looks like a shock absorber. Long term, I have to believe that the vibration will be a problem.

Overall it's a nice looking ride, has a decent capacity, and appears to be reasonable to set up. Of note, I spoke to a Majestic representative at the trade show, and they are marketing this as a family ride.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 4:57:54 PM
I took a video of it running at the trade show. I will try to get it up by this weekend. It is being built in-house by Majestic. The cars lift off the track about 4 inches, then drop on the down track. There are NO hydraulic cylinders, but they use a shock absorber and air bag under the car. The Flying Coaster had the air bag, also. The down ramp is built very heavy to absorb the pressure, but I can see potential problems in the sweep connector bearings from future shock. Ride runs forward & reverse, which is very hard to do on a Flying Coaster!!
BillReese
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 5:14:03 PM
A friend of mine has an old flying coaster in his front yard. We used to sit in one of the seats and drink scotch.
DOn't feed the trolls.
Rockowheel
Thursday, February 17, 2005 4:48:24 AM
It sounds like a cool flashy standard, and I look forward to riding it, although I can already see there will be no comparison to the original Flying Coaster with "half" a ramp. My all time favorite experience on that ride was at the very end, when if you were lucky enough to be at the top of the ramp as it stopped your car would literally drop off the ramp and free fall to the ground with a (sometimes not-so-satisfying) bounce. It was always such a rush to just stand at the fence by the ramp and watch the reactions of the unsuspecting as this would happen! When I grew up in the 60's and even in the 70's it wasn't hard to find a Flying Coaster on midways or even parks. Is the one at Kennywood (Kangaroo) the last operating?