Skywheelrider
Tuesday, January 25, 2005 5:09:04 PM
Thanks Sven, Matthew, and Britt. I do appreciate the comments! And yeah, C'Spin watch out! Here comes Wonderland Shows and Frangipani Amusements! lol
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
HUSSRAINBOW
Tuesday, January 25, 2005 11:23:41 PM
I dont think ive seen Cspins..... [|)]
anyone have a photo of it
UserPostedImage
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, January 25, 2005 11:42:25 PM
He had some photos of it at Webshots at one time, but it appears he took them down.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
skydiver77
Wednesday, January 26, 2005 8:38:46 PM
Hey Chris, your Faller Rainbow is Super looking! I too like that custom Rainbow sign up there, but call me old fashioned, the original cloud is my favorite. lol 🙂 The rest of the ride done up , the outriggers and what holds up the ride, that mount piece done up in sky blue is pretty. I might decide to paint mine up like that, except leave white spots in between here and there to represent the floating clouds. I've got a Huss Rainbow story to share, not sure if anyone's ever heard it, i doubt it, but here goes.

And this isn't long either, i'll make it short. When i was 10 or 11 at the time, i rode the Rainbow for a first time down at the Myrtle Beach Pavilion in South Carolina, they have a great looking Rainbow! That night while my parents were watching too, as the gondola started to rise into the sky, i noticed something wasn't quite right, i was very loose in my seat, and when the gondola descended, it jerked me like a rag doll in the seat. I was holding onto the lap bar so tight, and leaning my back hard against that seat, that when i got off, the seat rubbed my back raw.

Some Rainbows and most probably have the seats that have little "lines" in them, Strates Shows has those seats i'm referring to, they are little lines in the hard plastic seats, the backs of them, that is what scrubbed my back raw. But, do i hate the Rainbow? NO, lol, i love the Rainbow and all carnival rides, no matter if when i go on the Enterprise later this summer or ride on the Flying Bobs possibly and something malfunctions, i'll love the carnival forever!! What i did that night was just looked up at the Rainbow's sunshine and winked at it and said to it, " Don't worry Rainbow, i still love ya & will ride ya later in the future. " One summer i was at the Pavilion and no one on the gondola except me, i felt like "one with the ride" LOL 🙂

~Ben
skydiver77
Wednesday, January 26, 2005 8:41:25 PM
What i have been wanting to know also about the Rainbow for a long time, is what is inside the lower boom that keeps the gondola upright all the time? I have heard different stories of a large chain Huss puts in there, and one guy who used to travel with Cumberland Valley or some show from Tennessee had a Rainbow, he said there is a driveshaft in the lower boom like the 1001 Nachts has. Ok, someone must know what's in there keeping the gondola upright...anyone? =)

~Ben
BSA Mike
Wednesday, January 26, 2005 10:23:20 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by RainbowBen

What i have been wanting to know also about the Rainbow for a long time, is what is inside the lower boom that keeps the gondola upright all the time? I have heard different stories of a large chain Huss puts in there, and one guy who used to travel with Cumberland Valley or some show from Tennessee had a Rainbow, he said there is a driveshaft in the lower boom like the 1001 Nachts has. Ok, someone must know what's in there keeping the gondola upright...anyone? =)

~Ben

this is the model section, post it up in the carnival chat, you'll get more answers...
JustinJames
Wednesday, January 26, 2005 10:51:03 PM
It's a chain as far as I've been told.
skydiver77
Thursday, January 27, 2005 12:01:47 AM
Oh yeah, forgot it was modelers chat, i'll go there and post.

~Ben
HUSSRAINBOW
Thursday, January 27, 2005 3:32:38 AM
Good story ben, I can't kinda understand the whole back thing, I can't say I've had that problem when riding. Although last year O'Neills had the seat molds put in from HUSS, and they are kinda annoying when riding alone. You sorta have to hold on if you dont want your leg smacking into the middle divider, like I did. I didn't care, rode it 3 more times, and that was my third [:D]
but At the moment, Zipper is kinda winning, but Rainbow is still my no.1 [:D]
Also im a fan of the traditional cloud too! can't beat seeing it all lit up in the distance!
UserPostedImage
skydiver77
Thursday, January 27, 2005 8:41:09 PM
No you can't ( beat the original cloud that is ). Yet i like Hurley's model Rainbow sign and wish that Wade Shows' Rainbow had a sign like Chris's. Seeing Wade's Rainbow "sign" at the top it's too plain looking, it needs sprucing up. Look at Huss's Rainbow cloud, the letters on it are fancy looking, Wade's letters are plain. lol The Rainbow down at the Pavilion in Myrtle Beach, SC , if you get a wristband to ride all day, i've been known to ride it 10-15 times in a row. LOL It's a great riding Rainbow indeed! They've kept it looking nice over the years with new paint jobs on the Rainbow cloud and sunshine face, as well as the gondola.
Skywheelrider
Friday, January 28, 2005 8:32:32 AM
Thanks for the compliments Ben. The letters on my sign are mettallic looking, so it almost appears as if they light up. Same with the rainbow and cloud they are on top of. Kinda cool. The rainbows on the fence pieces are the same material.

Wade's sign actually looks nice when lit up. But it chases so fast it is hard to get a photo of it completely lit, every letter. lol At least the letters on Wade's sign are in different colours. lol

HUSSRAINBOW
Friday, January 28, 2005 10:07:30 AM
just chuck ya camera onto slowshutter :D
and Ben, shame myrtle doesnt have rays on their sun, or are finally back on?
Id soooo appreciate a nice photo of it! as ive never seen a full shot!

chris
UserPostedImage
skydiver77
Friday, January 28, 2005 12:21:57 PM
Never seen a full shot? 🙂 Wow, it's an awesome Rainbow. Do you know of Ken McMichael? He has a nice collection of Cummons as well as a nice ride layout to boot. He lives down there in Myrtle Beach, SC and knows the Pavilion up & down real well. I just visit down there every summer 1 week in June or July. Anyway, the Pavilion's Rainbow back in the early 90's used to have had those colored stripes on the lower and upper boom. They removed those stripes and ever since '94 or 5, the booms have been solid white. I've got a photo of the Rainbow at the Pavilion in action.

The Pavilion's Rainbow has always sat on the corner up front at the park, right there along the grandstrand beach front. The Pavilion arcade building is right across the street, and when the Rainbow is at it's highest point, you can see the beach and water in the ocean, it is breath-taking. You know of Ripley's Believe It or Not! Attractions?...it's to the Rainbow's left and you can see what's over that building, it's a very high up piece at the beach. Probably the highest up piece of fairground ride the Pavilion has, next to their Hurricane Wooden Coaster ( which rides horribly ).

I've got an original video tape from when dad had the old vcr camera and got some Rainbow footage on tape down at Myrtle. It's not much, but you can see the cloud, sunshine, everything lit up. The Pavilion got their Rainbow back in the mid-80's i believe, when it was in mint condition, brand new! It still does look new to me and rides like new each time i ride it. I know the chain inside the lower boom is the only thing holding you up, but, i would know how to keep myself from flinging out of the gondola like a rag doll if it popped and the gondola flipped upside down....gee, that'd be scary, but i would know what to do.

Any ordinary joe wouldn't, they'd be flung out quick! I'd be grasping the lap bars around my arms/shoulders so i'm for sure staying on LOL, yet the g-force might be more than i could take, but i'd probably defeat it, or try to. HUSSRAINBOW, i know your Rainbow model has it, so does mine, and Myrtle Beach's Rainbow has it, that little lightning rod piece between the counterweights at the top, is that not what that is?, if lightning hit the ride, that rod up there, the pointy rod would control the lightning to bounce on another object. Strates' Rainbow had it, but removed it for some reason, they no longer have it on there...looks odd without it, but still looks good though. I added it on my Rainbow model because i think it gives the ride more style.

Such as, "Hey, look at me"..."I'm #1, come ride me" Plus, the rod looks to represent in my mind, the Rainbow's "one arm". When it has a load to ride, it's probably saying, if it could talk, " Let me see if i can lift ya'll up into the sky & give ya a thrill" Call me weird, but i think i hear rides talking to each other. LOL How are you doing today Zipper?, Zipper replies, Oh, good, how about you Sky Diver?

~Ben
Matthew
Friday, January 28, 2005 12:30:28 PM
I'm not too sure what that part was for. When Conklin had their Rainbow, they mounted one of their flags onto it. It looked really nice. It was always a neat sight to see when driving along the Gardner. You couldn't see much of the midway because of the buildings, but you could see the cloud sign above the buildings.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by RainbowBen

HUSSRAINBOW, i know your Rainbow model has it, so does mine, and Myrtle Beach's Rainbow has it, that little lightning rod piece between the counterweights at the top, is that not what that is?, if lightning hit the ride, that rod up there, the pointy rod would control the lightning to bounce on another object. Strates' Rainbow had it, but removed it for some reason, they no longer have it on there...looks odd without it, but still looks good though. I added it on my Rainbow model because i think it gives the ride more style.

HUSSRAINBOW
Friday, January 28, 2005 10:07:33 PM
Well Sky, you are right it is indeed a flagpole!
The main reason Rainbow and Ranger have it is because, if the ride becomes stuck at the top, because of the Hydrolic fluid not pumping properly, you need to get men down there to push the flagpole, and make the gondola come down. Huss also advise, that if you are unable to push it, you are to get a chain and pull the ride like that. It is essential as soon as the ride begins to move, that all people are away from the ride, as you know why......
Also ben, id love to see the photo of Myrtles RAINBOW.
And yeah, I love seein the cloud over buildings and stuff, its awesome!

Chris
UserPostedImage