squirrel
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 5:35:16 PM
As we speak, the rideguy.com website is going through it's final phases of server upgrades, which will allow us to eventually become a true focal point for this industry regarding news, safety, events, used equipment sales, and many other things.

One thing I keep hearing here is about the demise of the AB magazine and how it has greatly affected many people in this business.

So now I put it to you all, insiders, outsiders, fans, EVERYONE: WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM AN INDUSTRY PUBLICATION? Who would be willing to provide reputable content for such a publication? How much would you be willing to pay for this publication?

I'm talking about a print version as well as an online version (both would be identical). Both would be available WITH EASE.

The fact of the matter is, I have the talent and resources to pull something like this off, and VERY SOON, I will have the financial backing to take a chance on it. BUT: I am NOT going to jump off this bridge by myself. I want to know WITHOUT A DOUBT what the PEOPLE want to know, WHO would be willing to provide content, and what I and the rest of the rideguy.com team can do to FIX this HUGE VOID that has been left by the demise (I use this term loosely) of the AB magazine.
gruelurks
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 5:55:08 PM
Are you talking about publishing a print version that would be mailed out, or one that could be 'printer friendly' from the Internet?
Jagger
  •  Jagger
  • 58.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 5:56:31 PM
I like full coverage of route schdules during the seasons !
squirrel
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 5:57:32 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by gruelurks

Are you talking about publishing a print version that would be mailed out, or one that could be 'printer friendly' from the Internet?

I'm talking about an actual print version. I think the business needs it. I think that if there was a print version available, that people could subscribe to, that it pay for it's costs, as well as pay for VALUABLE content from people who would be willing to go out and 'get those stories', etc...

I really think there is NO LIMIT to what we can do with it, considering so many people say that it has been such a big event to the business. If we as an industry are not happy with things, it's up to US to change it. I'm willing to provide my time and tools, but I can't do it alone. Now the ball is in 'everyone's court' to make it REAL.
squirrel
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 5:58:53 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by [edit]ger

I like full coverage of route schdules during the seasons !

So far, I think that would be up to the shows to advertise their route schedules -- this could turn into a privacy issue but I think it's worth researching. Currently, Matt hosts a Show/Carnival database -- really is no reason why people couldn't contact some of these shows and see what their thoughts are on this --
ScorpionKing
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 5:59:57 PM
hey, personally i would like to see something better tha the Ab.....mostly fan and worker provided content and news on the hottest issues for "us" today... i dont just mean editorials about business deals... i mean ride and tech features like we see in popular science and wired or popular mechanics... articles from industry experts, fans and mabey some kind of regular writers also... S.S.... i think that you are on to something here if you could pull it off... i would definetly be interested in helping a publication like that get off the ground....
squirrel
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 6:04:18 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by ScorpionKing

hey, personally i would like to see something better tha the Ab.....mostly fan and worker provided content and news on the hottest issues for "us" today... i dont just mean editorials about business deals... i mean ride and tech features like we see in popular science and wired or popular mechanics... articles from industry experts, fans and mabey some kind of regular writers also... S.S.... i think that you are on to something here if you could pull it off... i would definetly be interested in helping a publication like that get off the ground....

Count for the staff ( +1 ).

We obviously need to brainstorm this thing alot more. We will eventually have to get together as more become interested in being a part of this -- I like your thoughts, and I hope more people input more on this as time goes on. I don't have an estimated timetable at this point, but this whole concept has been in my head for over a year now (actually since the dawn of rideguy.com almost 2 years ago now). Now with what we've seen with the AB over the last year, it has become increasingly obvious that we need something to fill the hole it left.

Something like this will take a LONG time to gain acceptance. I'm not well known in the business other than for my opinions and my little bit of knowledge I have. But I think as a group, with support from others in the business, we can all educate ourselves and wind up providing an award winning level of content geared towards the industry.
ScorpionKing
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 6:13:53 PM
i understand the acceptance part of things as some show owners wont even allow ab distributers on their show because of the employment ads....i think that if we could get a few small to mid level shows to cooperate it would go a long way... thats just how things spread... and with the audiences that we have here at rideguy and MCW we have a good target audience...
gruelurks
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 6:15:48 PM
Don't get me wrong SS. I believe there is a great void waiting to be filled in the carnival industry right now. I wish you balls-out success my friend.

500-100 An error occured in a script running on this page.
../forum/post.asp line 73
Operation requires a valid data type or object reference to continue.

[}:)]
squirrel
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 6:20:08 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by gruelurks

Don't get me wrong SS. I believe there is a great void waiting to be filled in the carnival industry right now. I wish you balls-out success my friend.

500-100 An error occured in a script running on this page.
../forum/post.asp line 73
Operation requires a valid data type or object reference to continue.

[}:)]

You submitting the first bug-report, there Grue?
monkey boss
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 6:31:29 PM
There is a weekly publication called the Circus Report. This publication has been around for more than 30 years as a weekly! sometimes it's quite full 24 to 30 pages sometimes only 12 to 20. It depends on the time of year. You should be more than able to copy this style of print, and producing an informative CARNIVAL weekly with comming events, editorials, ads, and routes. As small as the circus world has become with limited numbers of performers and getting worse every year, certainly an affordable small weekly is very possible for our industry. It just takes a few months to click. I'm not talking four color or glossy paper, and the current size, I think is 8x8 inches, and is stapled closed for mailing. I need to get you one!
Boils The Clown
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 6:35:35 PM
I think it's a great idea , & definitly needs a JACKPOT page ! Online & In print.
Come See My Fun House ,  & My Fun House Photo Gallery  
UserPostedImage
~ By All Means.....When In Doubt .....Jump On The "Blame Boils Bandwagon" ! ~
TopSpinJay
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 7:01:49 PM
Squirrel i'd definatly help out with it especialy in the graphic area and doin some stories from arround my region.

if you want any indication of what ive done just take a look at this banner

http://www.amusementgraffixintl...ic/images/logo_phpBB.gif 

and the models speek for themselfs- i think its time to step up to the plate and go a step further, heck im taken classes to do this, why start later if theres oppertunity now. i'd have no problem with jumping into this fire
You'll miss us when were gone....
gruelurks
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 7:23:50 PM
S.S.: Nah just mesing with ya. [8D]
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 9:40:45 PM
SS: IMHO, We need the AB or the Billboard of the 50's and the 60's. Every show had an ad because it was affordable. Most jointies had an ad because it was affordable. This AB we have now doesn't do it. It hasn't since it left NYC for Nashville. It lost it's heart then. The old AB/Billboard was full of news and all kinds of useful stuff like routes, the mail box, the final curtain. Photos and lots of information. SS, if you can put out a weekly issue and insure the news is fresh and the ad rates are reasonable, everybody will want it. I hope you can do it. Good Luck and if you need stories about the Good old days, I'll be glad to help. We can negotiate compensation later. [;)]
Some names:
Carnival Weekly
The Carnival Journal
The Carnival Report
I kind of like the Carnival Journal. I can hear people now, Have you seen this weeks Journal? It's a classic!

That advice is free. [}:)]
Sixcats have nine lives