cny_chris
Monday, December 20, 2004 1:30:13 AM
From the archives in this post:

http://www.carnivalwarehouse.co...E=true&TOPIC_ID=3932 

Kiddie Ride Red posted (emphasis is mine):

Quote:

quote:

Squirrel you need to check out your facts before you post! The Space wheels were built by Curtis and Elmer Velare in their Long Beach, California shop in 1958. Al Kunz bought the ride from the Velares in 1960 and booked it on the Royal American Shows for their route of Canadian A circuit fairs and state fairs in America.Kunz sold the ride to RAS in 1965 along with the Giant Seattle Wheel which was also built by the Velares. Shortly before his death Jimmy Floyd of CVS bought the Space Wheels, Seattle Wheel and Calypso from RAS. Only one Space Wheel was ever built. Herschell built one copy of the Seattle wheel which is now owned by Jimmy Drew and a number of Sky Wheels but not the Space Wheels..

The lineage of the original Seattle Wheel is as follows:

Velare --> Al Kunz --> RAS --> CVS --> McDonagh's

and Drew's is the only copy built.....

This is what I recall being discussed each time the Seattle Wheel has been brought up -- the original is the RAS/CVS one, and Drew's is the copy.

Hope this helps.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
orphaned
Monday, December 20, 2004 2:38:31 AM
That's my understanding as well chris...and I believe I have read that in some publication somewhere along the way and also have been told that by CVS.

Drew's is the one that was in the movie that indeed Elvis did ride in,as advertised by them setting the seat out front that he rode on, but the original one did end up in CVS possession.

I can't speak for the size differences....however...this piece will continue to be Drew's trademark/signature piece even if there is a second one on the road. The previous poster here is right...Drew is primarily a southern show with a few jaunts into Indiana...McDonaghs stays in the north, except booking in a few pieces in the south.

Quite honestly, probably not that many people who attend events cares which Seattle Wheel is which....nor do they care if this is the only one in the world, there are two of them, or which one was made first...it really only matters to the shows, and us few fans, who "trivialize" things like that.

I just hope for the McDonaghs sake they haven't purchased something that is going to cost more to refurb than they can ever hope to get out of it.....and that's no slam on CVS or anyone else...cause I'd like to see two of these things out there on the road.
ScorpionKing
Monday, December 20, 2004 6:25:40 AM
anyone have a picture of this seattle wheel?....i would like to see what the fuss i have stired up is about.....
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, December 20, 2004 6:42:00 AM
Skywheelrider
Monday, December 20, 2004 6:47:03 AM
Dan you beat me by a couple of minutes. lol You have the most extensive collection of RAS Seattle Wheel pics I know of, that is why I immediately went to your Webshots site for pics.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Monday, December 20, 2004 7:34:17 AM
wait a sec, zyklon, tobbogan, skywheel, seattle wheel.

wheren't they the ones that got rid of the tilt because it was too hard to move??
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
Skywheelrider
Monday, December 20, 2004 8:08:53 AM
Yeah Ryan, that's the story. lol Remember too at that time they were also moving a Chance Music Fest. lol I am beginning to really like this show now though. Wonder what classic is next, I'll have to ask Tom when I see him again. lol
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Skywheelrider
Monday, December 20, 2004 1:56:45 PM
Confirmed this afternoon, no they do not have the Seattle Wheel yet. They are planning on picking it up between CHRISTmas and New Year's. And don't expect to see it for at least a couple of years, gonna take a lot of work, but they think they can do it. I think they can, too.
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, December 20, 2004 2:11:44 PM
I am surprised that the wheel is in an over the road legal condition.
ScorpionKing
Monday, December 20, 2004 8:41:26 PM
wow nice pics.... i hope they can get it lookin nice like they did with the skywheel....i have to give it to tom and all the guys over there they do great work and they are tops in my book on how clean they keep their rides. i think the only one holding a candle to them in that department to them is michael woods...
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, December 21, 2004 2:06:54 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by ScorpionKing

wow nice pics.... i hope they can get it lookin nice like they did with the skywheel....

I don't have any doubts about that.

Quote:

quote:

i have to give it to tom and all the guys over there they do great work and they are tops in my book on how clean they keep their rides. i think the only one holding a candle to them in that department to them is michael woods...

Well, have you seen Playworld Amusements? IMHO, that is the finest looking show on the road. Ask Tom McDonagh, he will agree, he has told me so. McDonagh's is a fine, fine show, they always look great. But Playworld, wow. Jeff Brady has a fantastic looking show, I have never seen them look bad.
orphaned
Tuesday, December 21, 2004 2:25:37 AM
Well I hope the McDonagh's take plenty of BEFORE restoration shots. Maybe Hurley can sneak over and get us some and post here. It would be really neat to be able to watch the transformation of this beast thru photos updated every couple of weeks.
ScorpionKing
Tuesday, December 21, 2004 6:47:47 AM
actually i havent seen playworld....i have heard they have a nice show just never made it out there....
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, December 21, 2004 7:17:20 AM
a great looking show. everything from the rides to the concessions. neat. saw them this summer up north and also here in north carolina.