jfrisoska
Monday, December 6, 2004 12:00:03 PM
yes i agree with you on that wades is differnt in many ways from McDonagh's [8]
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by JustinJames

I worked for many years for Wade and then this past season for McDonagh's Amusements as a Ride Sup/lighting/driver.

With Wade we teardown till it's done mostly. Foremens and Sups carry radios. We opened in the rain and winds quite a bit. Things were very corporate style with the procedures. Overall a pretty good operation as far as getting moved.

With McDonaghs we sometimes would call it a night around 4am or so on teardowns if we weren't in a hurry. I would usually keep my guys out until we were done with the Blizzard and my tractor was hooked to it. I felt that I would rather work at night than in the hot hours of the next day. We would close if the weather got bad depending on the spot. Tom and Jeanne weren't afraid to say that's it when it rained. Another VERY big difference was how open the McDonagh's were with us supervisors and such. We usually knew what was up with new purchases and such and our opinions were USUALLY solicited. We operated a little bit more by the seat of our pants but at least there wasn't a dull moment LOL.

What about your shows people???[8D]

jaybyrd
irishcarny
Monday, December 6, 2004 1:14:17 PM
Our show usually tears down on Saturday nights and sets right up Sunday morning. No sleep except for the ride over. The whole crew moves together in three or four vans and a few pick ups. We'll work until about noon or so on Sunday and call it a day and finish up on Monday and open up Monday night. We do have a circus jump or two each year. Those jumps we close at 5 or 6 Sunday night and have everything back up and open by the same time Monday night. We have a few key personal that are responsible for various areas. Once one ride is done, that crew will go and help on something else until the whole show is on the trucks and ready to go. No one leaves until the last ground rod is up, ticket boxes are loaded and the forklift is on its trailer. Our whole show, which can be up to 22 rides is on the road in about 4.5 to 5 hours. Very fortunate to have help that returns every year.
Rkey2000
Monday, December 6, 2004 3:02:55 PM
The first show I worked for was Tip Top Shows out of Waupaca Wis.We used to tear down on Sunday nights around 9:00 or 10:00 p.m. We used to have there blue unit down in five to six hours. There rides were all majors at the time plus kiddy land,no big spectaculars. We used to race between rides sometimes for cases of beer. We used to have usually two guys that traveled per ride and sometimes we'd get green help if we were lucky.Every one used to help out with cables and ticket boxes and stuff after there ride was down. If things didnt go right, or your crew was sand bagging you could end up sloughing all night while every one else was done and sleeping. But if all went well and it was an early teardown, sometimes you could catch last call at the bar just off the lot on Sundays. That was always the best beer to catch at a spot.
Greg
  •  Greg
  • 55.58% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, December 6, 2004 3:25:19 PM
We have a small show. Tilt, Roll-O-Plane, Hustler, Tip Top, Eli Wheel, Paratrooper, Octopus, Kiddie Frolic, Slide, Hampton Combo, Toon Town (small raiders copy), Stacey Johnson Coaster, a.h. Jolly Caterpillar, moonwalk. We play Al, Tn, Missouri & Illinois. The owners are Christian people as are some of the employees, after all though it is still a carnival. Scotty Jeter is partners with Jimmy Jackson-brother of this shows owner, J&J's Magic Midway.
My albums are all on Facebook!
stitch
Monday, December 6, 2004 6:01:08 PM
2nd unit MAS
As they are tearing down the last of the majors, some of us are at the next spot setting up. Great running crew. Great lot man.
coacoabeware
Tuesday, December 7, 2004 3:03:41 PM
I know that Justin knows about how our show was, you worked there with us for a while. We did everything in one night. I worked in foods so we were done really quick, espically if the merry-go-round was by my popper. If i didn't have it moved before the van load for the merry-go-round was pulled in, I would have to wait or help them so i could get the popper out. And unfortunatly,i was almost always by the merry-go-round. And if i didn't have the popper done before then, mama would have a cow. It wasnt really that hard to have it done before then, i could have everything on the inside done, before we would close, and depending on who the lot man was, i could start on the outside. But anyway, all the rides, games, and foods had to be done in one night. Even if we didn't have to be in another spot for a couple of days.
JustinJames
  •  JustinJames
  • 85.68% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, December 14, 2004 2:34:13 PM
引用:

Originally posted by coacoabeware

I know that Justin knows about how our show was, you worked there with us for a while. We did everything in one night. I worked in foods so we were done really quick, espically if the merry-go-round was by my popper. If i didn't have it moved before the van load for the merry-go-round was pulled in, I would have to wait or help them so i could get the popper out. And unfortunatly,i was almost always by the merry-go-round. And if i didn't have the popper done before then, mama would have a cow. It wasnt really that hard to have it done before then, i could have everything on the inside done, before we would close, and depending on who the lot man was, i could start on the outside. But anyway, all the rides, games, and foods had to be done in one night. Even if we didn't have to be in another spot for a couple of days.
[/quote

The fact that your man moved the MGR probably didn't help you get away from it either LOL.

McDonagh's was the model on teamwork between rides and games/concession. I can't count how many times Sarah McDonagh's crew helped rides on the hard fair jumps and such. Blakes people as well. Gary Hardenburgh wasn't technically employed by the show. He was Blake and Katrine's guy. But he moved our Eclipse MANY MANY times and was probably the one with the MOST knowledge of it.

When I took the Eclipse to Texas and my crew had one hell of a hard time tearing down and setting up in my absence, it was Sarah's main guy (Drell) that went over there for free and helped. Teamwork is the key.

Hell, Tom McDonagh himself helped me teardown here and there if that's what it took. Matt and Blake are some of the best teachers out there also.

ScorpionKing
Wednesday, December 15, 2004 8:13:56 PM
amen stitch i agree with you on the second unit thing.... one of the best if not hardest working lotmen in the country...and if you are who my guess is.. you always keep a good moving crew over there... hey thanx for the advice in the blogs topic... i do forget how many people from our show are on here....
stitch
Wednesday, December 15, 2004 8:33:38 PM
Well, SKing... It's all about pride. I am so proud of my crew, my unit and my show. If you lose any of the equation, you have lost it all. I stand back and look at all of our stuff, mine and MAS equiptment, after all is said and done, and think WOW. After all these years, it still amazes me. I still defend what I do, with family and friends, outside of the business, and sometimes I have to convince myself that it's all worth it at the end of the day. But... I am proud of my accomplishments as well. Sometimes, I take for granted the well oiled machine that it takes to make it all work.
The best days are the handicapped days, the smiles and the laughter, what could be better. Makes all dim in comparison. Those are the things that the public should know about us, we are really great people with alot to give. Yeah, we are'nt perfect creatures, but that's what makes us special. Just never forget the passion.
coacoabeware
Monday, December 20, 2004 9:01:17 PM

Hell, Tom McDonagh himself helped me teardown here and there if that's what it took. Matt and Blake are some of the best teachers out there also.

Now i have seen some like Lee Farmer help with the rides. The guy on the wipeout didn't have anyone and he helped for a while and i have seen him do it with the merry go round also, and he would have his guys come and help us with the stands because we helped him with his rides some
punkboysa18
Monday, December 20, 2004 9:32:50 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by stitch

Well, SKing... It's all about pride. I am so proud of my crew, my unit and my show. If you lose any of the equation, you have lost it all. I stand back and look at all of our stuff, mine and MAS equiptment, after all is said and done, and think WOW. After all these years, it still amazes me. I still defend what I do, with family and friends, outside of the business, and sometimes I have to convince myself that it's all worth it at the end of the day. But... I am proud of my accomplishments as well. Sometimes, I take for granted the well oiled machine that it takes to make it all work.
The best days are the handicapped days, the smiles and the laughter, what could be better. Makes all dim in comparison. Those are the things that the public should know about us, we are really great people with alot to give. Yeah, we are'nt perfect creatures, but that's what makes us special. Just never forget the passion.

That is some of the best stuff I've read on this board... ever.[:)]
I remember the Eclipse going up pretty smoothly in Minnesota. I can't remember who was setting it up though.
JustinJames
  •  JustinJames
  • 85.68% (Honored)
Tuesday, December 21, 2004 2:25:01 PM
In Minnesota that would be Matt, Gary, Quan
JustinJames
  •  JustinJames
  • 85.68% (Honored)
Tuesday, December 21, 2004 2:28:57 PM
Ya, I talked with Lee Farmer this year at Universal Mall in Warren, MI. He was quite surprised how much I've grown up since he seen me last. LOL
stitch
Tuesday, December 21, 2004 6:59:26 PM
What's more surprising than anything in this entire world ????
Lee Farmer... He has flaburgasted (spelling ??) me. That guy is something. I don't know anyone that loves what he does more than him. He has that passion that I was talking about earlier. Granted, he can be a monster, but all he goes for, is the end result. I have probably learned more from him in the last 12 years, than I will learn in the next 25. He should get some kind of award or something.
Plus, not that he wants anyone to know, he has the biggest heart. They just don't make em like him anymore. He has grown up alot too, since he last told me that my truck was parked in the "WRONG" place, for the umpteenth time. Gotta love him.
ScorpionKing
Tuesday, December 21, 2004 7:34:55 PM
lol yeah "PASSIONATE" should be the word for Farmer....your right... i have learned alot from him in the last few years.... including when and when not to approach him... i have learned a few things from you to stitch if i am not mistaken...like when to knock on someones door and when not to....[;)]